fat vs carbs

Options
just wondering which is the best to reduce as when something is low fat it is usually higher in carbs (sugar) and vice-versa

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    There is no "best".
  • Gorillanosh
    Gorillanosh Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i pay more attention to total calories. Fats are coming off of a few decades of demonization. turns out fats can help you stay full longer if you play your cards right. there really is no best... if your trying to lose weight, you can exclusively eat only butter... and still lose weight as long as you portion control so you spend more calories then you've taken in.

nutritionally that's a terrible idea of course. if your asking from a pure nutrional stance... fats and carbs both have their place in the diet, neither are more or less nutritionally important than the other.
  • ldula88
    ldula88 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Different combinations work better for different people. Some people (myself included) lose weight better on a lower carb, higher fat diet (I eat about 15-20% of my daily intake from carbs). Some people, however, find that they don't need to reduce carbs to lose weight. But whatever ratio you eat them in, make sure a majority of your fat intake is coming from good sources like avocados, nut butters, and "full-fat" dairy, etc. as they are better for your body than trans fats coming from highly processed foods. I try to avoid trans fats at all costs. Likewise, try to get a lot of your carbs from whole grains and fruits/veggies, they're generally more complex carbs and help you stay full a bit longer :) Hope you find what works best for you!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    there is none..

set your carbs and fat at 30% of your intake and get the rest from protein 40% …that is what I do and it works for me…

As long as you are maintaining a calorie deficit you will lose….

It also depends on what your goals are …just lose weight…lose weight and maintain LBM..etc..?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Different combinations work better for different people. Some people (myself included) lose weight better on a lower carb, higher fat diet (I eat about 15-20% of my daily intake from carbs). Some people, however, find that they don't need to reduce carbs to lose weight. But whatever ratio you eat them in, make sure a majority of your fat intake is coming from good sources like avocados, nut butters, and "full-fat" dairy, etc. as they are better for your body than trans fats coming from highly processed foods. I try to avoid trans fats at all costs. Likewise, try to get a lot of your carbs from whole grains and fruits/veggies, they're generally more complex carbs and help you stay full a bit longer :) Hope you find what works best for you!

actually, what works for everyone is a calorie deficit…eating less, or more, carbs has nothing to do with weight loss and or gain...
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I don't think she meant for weight loss. I read it as it was easier for her to stick to her calories by eating that way. Whatever works for each person and their lifestyle.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I don't think she meant for weight loss. I read it as it was easier for her to stick to her calories by eating that way. Whatever works for each person and their lifestyle.
    "Some people (myself included) lose weight better on a lower carb, higher fat diet…" that sounds like a weight loss statement to me...
  • ldula88
    Options

actually, what works for everyone is a calorie deficit…eating less, or more, carbs has nothing to do with weight loss and or gain...

Never said a deficit wasn't necessary, no need to be snarky. How you combine your foods does make a difference in how people feel while losing weight. I'd rather eat low carbs high fat and be happy and full then feel starved on a high carb diet. But like I said, many people do just fine on a high carb diet. Macros don't necessarily affect the weight loss itself, but people are more likely to stick with a long term eating and lifestyle change if they feel great, and more likely to give up if they feel miserable and hungry.
  • PDarrall
    PDarrall Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Try to up protein, don't cut out carbs or fat. Look to have a balanced set of macros and try to avoid foods with a 50/50 carb/fat balance (only happens in processed foods)
  • Wooly_I_am
    Options
    Carbs are great for the energy levels so don't cut them too much. I just try and hit my fat and protein minimums then leave the rest to whatever. If you were an a very low calorie intake then cutting carbs is probably best.
  • Jewlz280
    Options
    Meh. If you want to nitpick the writing and choose to make it into a discussion of 'calories in, calories out'. But that isn't how I read it. I re-read it, again. She said that it helps her weight loss. I guess people need to be specific and say it helps them to stick to their weight loss plan so as to not cause 'confusion'. Many people do up their proteins and fats and cut back on carbs to help them stick to their calorie goal so I don't see why this issue comes up 100 times a day. If that works for her, it's fine. She never said that you HAD to eat that way or that was the only way to lose weight or that was HOW you lose weight. Just that she tended to lose weight better by eating that way. If you read it again, she just said it helped her to stay full longer -- implying that it helped her to stick to her calorie limit.
  • ldula88
    Options
    Meh. If you want to nitpick the writing and choose to make it into a discussion of 'calories in, calories out'. But that isn't how I read it. I re-read it, again. She said that it helps her weight loss. I guess people need to be specific and say it helps them to stick to their weight loss plan so as to not cause 'confusion'. Many people do up their proteins and fats and cut back on carbs to help them stick to their calorie goal so I don't see why this issue comes up 100 times a day. If that works for her, it's fine. She never said that you HAD to eat that way or that was the only way to lose weight or that was HOW you lose weight. Just that she tended to lose weight better by eating that way. If you read it again, she just said it helped her to stay full longer -- implying that it helped her to stick to her calorie limit.

Thanks for the backup :) That's all I was trying to convey in my original message. I'm a very "what works for you is great" kinda girl, but I find not everyone has that approach lol. Just trying to share my experiences, not write a weight-loss bible.
  • Jewlz280
    Options

Thanks for the backup :) That's all I was trying to convey in my original message. I'm a very "what works for you is great" kinda girl, but I find not everyone has that approach lol. Just trying to share my experiences, not write a weight-loss bible.

LOL No problem. I truly don't think he wanted to be snarky -- but he's been around the forums for a while and unfortunately these topics come up and it is a matter of people arguing it. So, I think it was a knee-jerk reaction to what he thought you were referencing. From his other posts/comments, I think he generally tries to help. :smile:
  • ndj1979
    Options

your statement was confusing as it stated that doing "low carb" can lead to weight loss and that we are all different…

Food composition is important from a recomp standpoint, but not a weight loss one.

I was just clarifying that we are all the same in that a deficit is what makes one lose, not the composition of foods.

I am sorry you took offense.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Food composition is important from a recomp standpoint, but not a weight loss one.

Is there a contradiction hiding in there ? If composition can preferentially help say fat loss then it can surely contribute to weight loss.