Yoga questions

Options
Hi there,

I am a disabled veteran. I suffered some hip injuries. I was told by a doctor that yoga would be a good start to my exercise and to alleviate hip pain. Where would be a good place to start? There are classes offered at my university: Yoga, Yoga-Pilates, and Hatha Yoga. Any advice on these classes would be helpful or if there are any dvds or apps I could use. Thank you!

Replies

• th3passenger
    th3passenger Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I like this dvd by Tamal Dodge. After my pregnancy I had some knee problems, and while it was really hard at first, it made a lot of my pains go away. It's something you have to keep doing though.

http://www.amazon.com/Element-Hatha-Flow-Yoga-Beginners/dp/B005QUQRDS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1392614901&sr=8-3&keywords=tamal+dodge

And you should just watch this video for some inspiration. This guy was also a disabled veteran. I haven't tried Diamond Dallas' dvd's myself, but maybe it's something that could help you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448

Sorry, I can't figure out how to make them clickable =/ Just copy/paste
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    As a beginner, I would recommedn you go along to a few Yoga classes at your University to get a feel of pace and safe limits. A good teacher is of far more value than anything you will find on the interent.

Of course, internet sessions are useful once you get established with a local teacher to give something to work along with at home between classes.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    There are classes offered at my university: Yoga, Yoga-Pilates, and Hatha Yoga.

It'll be worth talking to the teachers about the three options, a "yoga" class doesn't mean a lot as there are a wide range of different forms, ranging from Astanga which is pretty vigorous, through Bikram which is done in a hot room through to much gentler forms. As they have one termed Hatha that is quite good to get you into the asanas and used to the practice. As you have hip injury then it would make sense to use that as a lead in to a more vigorous form.

Always worth having a teacher to help you find correct form.
  • scyian
    scyian Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend going to some local classes to get some ideas of the different types. Home yoga is great, but you need a teacher first to make sure you're doing it correctly. My sister is currently doing fornightly private yoga classes to help with back and hip pain.

If you want to look online for some ideas, YouTube and iTunes are good places to look. YogAmazing is a good video podcast on iTunes that I use, especially when traveling. They're usually 20 minutes long and get updated regularly. He does quite a lot of specific videos that are moves helpful for various body parts and fitness (sessions for the back, or sessions for cyclists etc.)
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    "Yoga" and "Hatha Yoga" are the same thing in Western terms (all physical yoga in the is "Hatha Yoga"). I would try both classes and see which you like better. If that isn't possible, read about the teachers and see which one appeals to you or which one has more training. Best of luck to you.
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Yoga is great especially if you are recovering from injuries. If you've had physical therapy, you'll probably recognize alot of the moves.

I take my classes at a community center and our instructor is awesome. Most of the people in my class are a bit older (like me :wink: ) and some have one or two have physical challenges, one of the ladies has MS. If you let your instructor know your limitations she'll be able to work with you to get your form correct for your body so you can get the best benefits. I've also been to classes with mostly 20 something year old rubber-band girls and had a hard time keeping up, so did not get much out of those classes. Finding the right instructor is key.
  • shoneybabes
    shoneybabes Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Firstly if you have physical issues/injuries go to the yoga classes. I wouldn't recommend doing any home versions until you know how to correctly hold the poses. All yoga will benefit however it probably comes down to what you enjoy. I practise hatha yoga, I think a lot of the other types have originated from hatha, but don't quote me on that.

Mainly research the teachers, find the one that will help you and physically and mentally.

Also pilates came from yoga but is mainly core based. I found it quite dull as it is limiting. Pilate is usually taught by physio's because it doesn't have the spiritual side.
  • yogioats
    yogioats Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hatha yoga can be a bit slower. I think starting a class with a knowledgeable instructor is preferable to a DVD at home while starting out. Not sure how experienced university fitness class instructors are. My suggestion is to give a class a try. If you can find a yoga studio that may be even better. Listen to your body and make modifications as necessary. Good luck!
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Going to a class where the instructor will watch and correct your form is quite important. Otherwise you could make things worse trying some of the poses.
  • nikki_dw
    nikki_dw Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    You should definitely go to a class if you have injuries and are new to the practice. Talk to an instructor beforehand about your limitations. A good instructor will open class by asking if anyone has any injuries. You'll find there are a lot of students who do modified poses to help with injuries, even those who aren't considered to be disabled.

A good instructor will also help you understand the poses so that you do not further injure yourself and will re-position you correctly. Even the most experienced yogis in the classes I attend have the instructor come around and straighten their back, move their arms, etc.

Yoga can be extremely restorative just make sure that you are comfortable in your class and you should start seeing results :smile:
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I am a disabled veteran. I suffered some hip injuries. I was told by a doctor that yoga would be a good start to my exercise and to alleviate hip pain. Where would be a good place to start? There are classes offered at my university: Yoga, Yoga-Pilates, and Hatha Yoga. Any advice on these classes would be helpful or if there are any dvds or apps I could use. Thank you!

Hatha Yoga and Yoga-Pilates.

Pilates mainly focuses on core strength and the hip area. Definitely let the instructor know about your injuries.

I am also going to add Tai Chi for further joint movement and flexibility.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Please watch this video it is very inspiring

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1376349225921308

You might have to log into FB to watch.
  • 1pandabear
    1pandabear Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your service. Yoga is beneficial in many ways to me and I hope it works for you.