substitutes for olive oil?

Options
stephalvarez5
stephalvarez5 Posts: 154 Member
i was just wondering what you all use in place of extra virgin olive oil when cooking.

.s.

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Its heathy fat, I use it instead of other types of Oil
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I substitute other kinds of oil with olive oil. It is very good for you. If you are worried about using to much, get a pump sprayer.
  • sharoniballoni
    sharoniballoni Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Extra virgin olive oil has a lot of flavor and sometimes it doesn't quite work with what I'm making. In those cases, I use canola.
  • chocolatnoir
    chocolatnoir Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Me too, I use Olive Oil instead of anything else. Trader Joe's has a container of olive oil that allows you to mist the oil...
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    How about roasted peanut oil? http://www.bellplantation.com/products
  • reneeot
    reneeot Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    for baking , i believe you use applesauce instead!!
  • xxthursday09xx
    xxthursday09xx Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    if you really don't want to use it, Canola oil is healthier than veggie oil.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    When I need to cook at high temperatures I use a blend of canola & soybean oil. I don't mix them myselft, I buy bottle of blended oil at the supermarket.
  • chacaruso
    chacaruso Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Cooking, olive oil. Baking, applesauce.
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    I read somewhere that canola oil has many of the same health benefits of olive oil and is an economical alternative. I use it (and/or olive oil for just about everything).
  • SandraMay1982
    Options
    Read the labels for Olive oil. Most have additives unless you get it STRAIGHT from the source. My mum is allergic to sulphur and petroleum products. you will be shocked at how much food actually has petroleum bi-products in it. She can only use Sunflower Oil or just plain butter. I only ever cook in the butter that she can eat.
  • hjorden
    Options
    For high temperatures I use coconut oil.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    In my kitchen, there is no substitute. I use olive oil instead of other oils and butter.
  • hungrymarathongirl
    hungrymarathongirl Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I just read this articles on cooking with olive oil.

Add the Olive Oil Last
    We often think of sautéing as a lowfat cooking method, but some vegetables, such as eggplant, mushrooms, and greens, tend to soak up the majority of the fat that's added to the pan. Steam your veggies instead, then toss them with a few teaspoons of extra-virgin olive oil, a squeeze of lemon, and a pinch of red pepper flakes and sea salt.
    Calories saved per cup: 150

http://caloriecount.about.com/blog/partners/best-ways-cut-calories-b476666?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_20101201&utm_term=continue1
  • landry1
    landry1 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you are making. You can use broth or water to saute.
  • nisharae
    nisharae Posts: 204
    Options
    I actually really like coconut oil, more calories in it than olive oil but if you are just putting a little in a pan to cook it, it works really well. I LOVE the taste too.. :D
  • carbonbeing
    Options
    We switched to Grapeola grape seed oil and love it.
  • eleanoreb
    eleanoreb Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    In response to eggplant and zucchini soaking up a lot of oil- a tip is if you are frying/sauteeying them int he pan, make sure the oil is hot before you put the veggies in. they will soak up less of the oil this way
  • priskar
    priskar Posts: 156
    Options
    If you're trying to cut down on the calories of the olive oil, try Pam or some other spray cooking oil. Otherwise, Olive oil is still one of the healthiest to use. In fact, doesn't Pam have an Olive oil spray?
  • JeanHaynes
    JeanHaynes Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Extra virgin olive oil has a lot of flavor and sometimes it doesn't quite work with what I'm making. In those cases, I use canola.

Same here. Olive oil is a healthy substitute for butter and canola oil works well in sweeter meals instead of olive oil.