Weight Lifting or Cardio?

Options
2»

Replies

• geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    What Huffdogg said.
    100xSitups with 1-2kg in each hand; 70 Squats ; Planks ; 100x Abs crunches ; 30 - Reserve crunches;Dead-lift
    As a point of note - what you describe sounds more like endurance/cardio than what most would describe as 'strength'. (I don't know what reps you're doing for dead lift.)
  • CelebrityStatus
    CelebrityStatus Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I do both, because I like both.

I generally do 90 minutes of cardio per day - 30 on the tread, 30 on the elliptical, and 30 on the bike. I do this six days a week, usually in the morning.

I strength train six days a week as well, usually 25 minutes each day, depending on what I'm doing... I do chest+biceps two days, back+triceps two days, and legs two days. I also do 3-4 days of core work, although I don't have a specific day that I do them... I make myself get in 3-4 days per week, but try to do them on days where I don't feel too horribly tired after the rest of my workout. Or I start with core.

I also take yoga three times a week, and step twice a week.

I am finding that although I haven't lost a *ton* of weight, only 20 of the 160 I have to lose, I am SO much stronger, and smaller. I have dropped three dress sizes in six weeks and my cardiovascular health has improved tenfold. I used to be out of breath using the elliptical for 15 minutes, I couldn't run a mile. I would never give up cardio because I love it.

But I will say that my upper body is significantly smaller (in a good way!) and I would attribute that to heavy lifting. I do combinations of deadlifts, overhead press, and weighted squats three times a week in addition to my other routines (usually do them on leg days, and on one other day).

I am a workout machine. I might actually be a little addicted to exercising lol. I just feel so great afterwards.

I find that cardio burns more calories faster (I don't eat back exercise calories) , but strength training is AMAZING for toning and firming ... plus it's supposed to raise your metabolism (muscle burns more calories at rest than fat, obviously) so you technically are burning more when resting.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I find that cardio burns more calories faster (I don't eat back exercise calories) , but strength training is AMAZING for toning and firming ... plus it's supposed to raise your metabolism (muscle burns more calories at rest than fat, obviously) so you technically are burning more when resting.

You need to be careful with an approach like this. Doing this much exercise without eating back any exercise calories puts you in a position to be in too severe a deficit, which can cause metabolic damage if you keep it up too long.

Also, after a very brief beginner stage, you're not gaining muscle in a deficit. You're probably seeing more definition because muscles inflame when put under stress and retain water to help ease repair.
  • CelebrityStatus
    Options

You need to be careful with an approach like this. Doing this much exercise without eating back any exercise calories puts you in a position to be in too severe a deficit, which can cause metabolic damage if you keep it up too long.

Also, after a very brief beginner stage, you're not gaining muscle in a deficit. You're probably seeing more definition because muscles inflame when put under stress and retain water to help ease repair.

So if I am supposed to eat (according to MFP) 1680 per day, not including exercise calories, and I eat that, but exercise, I won't gain muscle despite strength training?

Could you explain that to me? If you are doing strength training, wouldn't the exercise deficit be burning fat and not burning muscle (which is what I assume you mean... the deficit is burning muscle instead of building)?

I am on my second round of weight loss ... a couple of years ago I lost weight through mainly diet only and although I lost 100 lb, I was "skinny fat" ... I gained back up to my original SW, but am doing a lot more exercise + strength training this time around ... and wear the same size pants at 20lb lost now as I did at 50lb lost previously... so I must be sort of toning? Because I am not losing really quickly, but I AM definitely getting a lot smaller!
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    You will have that pudge until you reduce your overall bodyfat. To do that you will have to continue to eat at a deficit. Probably a smaller deficit than when you were in "full dieting mode". Cardio helps to create a deficit because it burns a higher rate of calories per minute. Once you get rid of that fat, though, you are going to want the muscle underneath to look good.

So you will need to find a way to do some of both. Either alternate days or find some type of circuit training program that will include some cardio.

I have had good luck with Jillian michaels workouts like 30 day shred, extreme shed and shred, ripped in 30. They include both strength and cardio. I am currently doing her body revolution program which is a little more involved. It is working and I am slowly losing the pouch of fat on my abs.

Good luck.
  • law1558
    law1558 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I've been using the Jamie Eason Live Fit program lately and I really like it - you can find it on BodyBuidling.com or you can just Google her name and Live Fit and you'll find it.

Basically, it's a 3-month program, plus a nutrition plan. The first month, you focus on strength training and don't do any cardio (which I cheated on and did some cardio anyway). The second month, you up your strength training and complete endurance level cardio (medium intensity). The final month, you continue strength training (lower weights/higher reps) and HIIT cardio (high intensity interval training).

Even though I'm pretty comfortable in the gym, I like her program because she has videos and break downs of how each exercise is supposed to be completed. Her meal plan is easy enough and she offers a lot of great recipes that are actually pretty tasty. And, IT'S ALL FREE!!
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options

So if I am supposed to eat (according to MFP) 1680 per day, not including exercise calories, and I eat that, but exercise, I won't gain muscle despite strength training?

Could you explain that to me? If you are doing strength training, wouldn't the exercise deficit be burning fat and not burning muscle (which is what I assume you mean... the deficit is burning muscle instead of building)?

I am on my second round of weight loss ... a couple of years ago I lost weight through mainly diet only and although I lost 100 lb, I was "skinny fat" ... I gained back up to my original SW, but am doing a lot more exercise + strength training this time around ... and wear the same size pants at 20lb lost now as I did at 50lb lost previously... so I must be sort of toning? Because I am not losing really quickly, but I AM definitely getting a lot smaller!

sorry if I sound dense but I don't exactly understand your question. All I'm saying is that MFP already has a deficit built in for you. If you are doing a lot of cardio on top of that, you're creating a really large deficit (depending on how much, obv.) and over time, that could be working against you. Also, strength training in a deficit can get you stronger, and help preserve muscle, but won't build new muscle.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    As a matter of general fitness you should be doing both and have a pretty balanced routine. I have 1 or 2 rest days generally per week. Rest days don't mean "off" days per-sei...I still go for walks, do some yoga, and am also just generally active.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    As a matter of general fitness you should be doing both and have a pretty balanced routine. I have 1 or 2 rest days generally per week. Rest days don't mean "off" days per-sei...I still go for walks, do some yoga, and am also just generally active.

^ I agree. I run, bike, lift weights, and work on my heavy bag.
  • brendanstallard
    brendanstallard Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I just am confused on when you should begin to do strength training and whether or not the excess is because i need to lose more weight or not..

Jen Sinkler says that the answer to the question, "What about Cardio?"

Is, "lift faster."

As my HRM constantly reminds me, when I lift hard and fast I can feel the lactic acid buildup-the numbers recorded by the HRM rise exponentially. There's just as much hard cardio working hard at weights as there is walking or running.

"Also, how many days do you guys typically have off a week?"

I'm an old retired guy and I TRY to exercise 7 days a week. Stuff happens, you get rough days, feel bad days, lazy days and days when it rains or honeydoo days.

Hence, I forgive myself if I reach 10K steps, swim four miles and do 3 weights sessions.

I try for 7, but accept 5.

brendan
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options

You are unlikely to have sustained muscles gains while eating at an excess. As a new lifter you may have some initial gains.
    You may continue to have STRENGTH trains.

Doing strength training helps stop the body burning muscle. If you don't have enough energy to power what you are asking your body to do, it has to come from somewhere.

High protein and weight training helps to convince the body it should be burning fat, but the higher the deficit, the more likely it will start to use muscle.

The more far you have, the more fat you can burn it seems.
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    0fc.gif
    HA

that is exactly the gif i was going to post.
  • pavrg
    pavrg Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    So, I've reached my first goal weight and i still have a little pudge in my stomach area. I ultimately want to be 150, which seems so close but far away, but i also want o be toned. I just cant seem to decide whether or not the pudge i have left on my tumy area is due to needing to lose more weight and continue with cardio or should i begin to tone.. Im not even sure if this question makes sense, lol. I just am confused on when you should begin to do strength training and whether or not the excess is because i need to lose more weight or not..

Also, how many days do you guys typically have off a week?
    Do both, they are beneficial for different reasons. 1, but only by necessity of my gym not fitting my schedule on Sundays.
  • CelebrityStatus
    Options

sorry if I sound dense but I don't exactly understand your question. All I'm saying is that MFP already has a deficit built in for you. If you are doing a lot of cardio on top of that, you're creating a really large deficit (depending on how much, obv.) and over time, that could be working against you. Also, strength training in a deficit can get you stronger, and help preserve muscle, but won't build new muscle.

Not dense, I misunderstood what you were saying. I thought that you were saying that eating at a large deficit while strength training would burn muscle- but you clarified without meaning to, saying that it will preserve muscle. I am not looking to bulk, just to tone and lose fat... so simply preserving muscle is fine with me!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I would suggest picking up a copy of starting strength or new rules of lifting for woman and then develop a program of heavy lifting around compound movements = deadlifts, squats, chin ups/pull ups, rows, overhead press, bench press. once you have the form down you could do a three day week program like - monday - chest/arms; tuesday cardio; wens - legs; thurs- cardio/abs; Friday - back/shoulders; saturday - rest; sunday - active rest/free day …

I would also suggest setting your macro percentages to 40 protein/30 carbs/ 30 fats…

this will help you get rid of remaining body fat and preserve lean muscle mass….

after about there to four months you can back off cardio and to a four day upper/lower split routine….

I have at least one rest day per week….
  • ernurse77
    ernurse77 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Maybe focus more on strength training and less on length of cardio. Lift for 40 minutes, and do 20 minutes of HIIT cardio no less than 3 days a week.

Eating at a nutritious deficit with a bump in your lean protein and healthy fats, while decreasing your carb & sugar intake.
  • LouisianaHotSauce_93
    Options
    This is what I was always told.
    1. Cardio makes you skinny.
    2. Lifting makes you look good naked.

You figure out which one you'd rather.
    I do both so I can be skinny and look good naked.
  • brendanstallard
    brendanstallard Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    "I do both so I can be skinny and look good naked."

LouisianaHotS,

LOL...I am as old as dirt, so I am sure this is vaguely rude....I snickered quietly, (so my wife wouldn't hear-and hence hit me with a bible.)

In the meantime, I shall remember when I was young and could walk around in Ireland without a shirt.

Not Now, cardio/weights or otherwise......:)

UR funny, keep it up...

brendan