Treadmill vs Road/Track

Options
Hi guys, I'm fairly new to running, started last summer, didn't keep up with it, now have been keeping up with it regularly for 2 months.
I've found that I love love love treadmills, especially since I'm extremely asthmatic and I can avoid extreme cold and heat. However, one day the treadmills were full so I went on my gym's very small track and I barely made it a half mile without getting tired (on average I run between 1-2 miles). Should I be switching it up? I have run 5k races before on the road and done fine. My goal isn't to win medals, I just like to run. What's your opinion?

Replies

• davisrl0
    davisrl0 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I just posted something similar. There is something about running on the treadmill that is considerably different than road running. I'm curious to see the responses here, too. My issue with switching from treadmill to road is that my lower legs tighten up really badly, to the point where I have to stop completely and release the tension before I can continue. I do think we strike the treadmill differently than the road....its like because the treadmill's motor is what's partially moving your body for you, instead of your own legs doing all the work, there is a huge difference. I'm not super experienced with treadmill running so maybe someone will have a better explanation. I just started treadmill running consistently back in the fall (because we purchased the treadmill for the cold weather season) but before that, I ran exclusively on the roads for a couple years. Trying to get back out on the roads now and having LOTS of trouble with it.
    I think if your goal is to run on the track or outdoors more often, or do more than a 5k race, then perhaps you should switch it up to become more conditioned to the difference. But if your goal is just to run and it doesn't matter where (if you're content with just using treadmills), then just stick to the treadmills.
    I feel your pain, sister. I hope others can offer advice, too!
  • xlunins
    xlunins Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you for that great response. That makes sense about how our legs get a little help on the treadmill. I think I may want to run more than a 5k race but not right now. I want to wait to hear what others say but I may switch to road running as the weather gets warmer and see what I can do. I just hope I'm not discouraged by my mile time and endurance :(
  • davisrl0
    davisrl0 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thank you for that great response. That makes sense about how our legs get a little help on the treadmill. I think I may want to run more than a 5k race but not right now. I want to wait to hear what others say but I may switch to road running as the weather gets warmer and see what I can do. I just hope I'm not discouraged by my mile time and endurance :(
    Don't be discouraged. I totally understand though. I've had to swallow my pride and REALLY slow down outside. When I trained for my half marathon last year, I had gotten down to a 8:45 minute/mile before the race. On the treadmill I generally run anywhere between 9:00-9:45 min/mi (depending on how I feel that day). Outside, on my last 4 excruciating runs, I've done well over a 10:00 min/mi...even 11:00's in some cases. So....I too have to tell myself, I'm not racing anyone. I'm not a tiny little runner, so I'll never be the fastest. I'm doing this for fitness (and training). I won't win prizes, but I do it because I want so badly to be a runner and to meet goals.
    And I think it goes without saying, (but I'm saying it anyway :) ) that the more you train outside, the more you'll build up road endurance.
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    If you can run on the track more often I think it'd benefit you more if you're looking to do some road running/racing in the near future. The treadmill makes it a lot easier on your legs than track/road running and so you can run faster on the 'mill than you could otherwise, same goes for distance. Do you use an incline when you use it? If not, go for a 1-2% incline on the treadmill when you use it next as this will simulate road running a lot more than not using an incline whatsoever.

In terms of longer distances on the track...Go out easy and see how far you can make it, if you need to walk then do so and then when you feel ready run some more. For walk breaks try a 90-second rest in-between run intervals and be consistent. If you run for 2 minutes before a rest, run for 2 minutes after.

As for tight legs - yes you'll feel it more on track/road because you actually have to propel yourself forward/use more power than when you were on the treadmill and essentially aiming to not have the belt pull you off/running lightly in place. Go for dynamic stretching before your runs - walking lunges and leg swings are an example and do static stretches afterwards.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    My experience is whatever you start with/do more of is easier. I started running outside and added the treadmill occasionally after I was able to run 10k, and I found the treadmill so hard to keep with my outdoor easy pace. To this day, I can't run faster than an 8:40 pace on the mill even for a short interval, but I averaged 8:21 outside for a 5k in the dead of winter. So, if you want to get better at running outside, do most of your training outside.

Now, I can't speak for everyone with asthma, but, I always assumed I couldn't run outside in the winter because of my asthma. I mean, I can't walk outside on super cold days or stand outside for more than 3 minutes without a terrible coughing fit, but it turns out I can run outside. I just have to make sure I start directly from my door and go until I get inside my door, walking and stopping cause me to cough uncontrollably, as long as I keep moving and the cold air doesn't enter my lungs, I'm fine. And faster than I am when it's warm. Weird, but true.

Oh and the thing that got me from a 14 min mile (yes, without walking) to an 8:21 pace was increasing my distance by training for a half marathon. I only recently added speed work to my training.

Really, just keep at it and you'll be amazed at what your body can do!
  • pavrg
    pavrg Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, I'm fairly new to running, started last summer, didn't keep up with it, now have been keeping up with it regularly for 2 months.
    I've found that I love love love treadmills, especially since I'm extremely asthmatic and I can avoid extreme cold and heat. However, one day the treadmills were full so I went on my gym's very small track and I barely made it a half mile without getting tired (on average I run between 1-2 miles). Should I be switching it up? I have run 5k races before on the road and done fine. My goal isn't to win medals, I just like to run. What's your opinion?
    It's been proven via studies that running on a treadmill with a 1 degree incline simulates road/track running. The treadmill is slightly more quad dominant while the road/track is slightly more hamstring dominant, so if you are training for a road/track race via treadmill workouts then work some hamstring curls into your routine.

The other drawback is that the treadmill does not develop internal pacing, but that can be remedied by less than a week of road/track running.
  • FemmeFitFarm
    Options
    i'm a bit of a purist with running. obnoxious, i know. i DREAD the treadmill for a few reasons, but one reason i really, truly despise it is because no matter what incline or pace you have it on, it will in NO WAY simulate outside running because your body runs with a natural intuitiveness you just can't get on a treadmill. outdoors, you may be running a consistent 7:30 pace, but there are some strides you'll hit faster and some strides you'll hit slower. your body moves the way that is natural for it, whereas a treadmill forces you to make even strides consistently. does that make sense? i also feel that outside running promotes more full-body movement/exercise, whereas the treadmill can feel a little more muscle-targeted.

plus, running outdoors is awesome because you can switch it up with trackwork and hill training and things like that.

at the end of the day, however, if for some reason i have to treadmill it up, i will. running is running and it's better to do it one way or another rather than not at all :)
  • pimpin_po
    pimpin_po Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    The first time I ran on a treadmill I found it very easy, then because I found out I could run, I ran outside every chance I got (weather permitting, plus I don't have access to a treadmill at home). Just recently I had to hop back on the treadmill, because I was house sitting, made it 10 minutes on 5.2 before I had to stop for a walk break, which I found very odd considering that I can run 60+ minutes straight on the road, I actually ended up stopping to walk like 3 times, whereas when I run outside I can go go go. The next day on the treadmill I only had to walk once, so I guess I got used to it by day 2. Running outside is my preference hands down! I also noticed that my hamstrings feel it when I run outside as compared to my glute muscles that feel the burn while on the treadmill. All in all I think you should do what you prefer, running outside is WAY easier to me.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I have been running on and off for years and on the long run, it makes no difference. You get used to one or the other, you need a few times to adjust to what you do less frequently, but in the end it is pretty much the same. Keep in mind you might need different shoes depending on where you run. You will not have a big difference between treadmill and track, but you cannot use the same shoes for trail.

As for the incline, this is an interesting article:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/treadmills/biomechanics-expert-debunks-treadmill-running-myths
  • KaiserNiner
    KaiserNiner Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Might also notice, there's a slight bounce in the treadmill as it provides some 'suspension damping' - less shock on the joints, but also puts a little more spring in the step...
  • Camish911
    Camish911 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I find it easier to run on a treadmill. I've heard that putting the incline at 1% makes the treadmill more similar to running out doors so that's what I've been doing. Rethinking that though...
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    Options
    Elizabeth nailed it I think. We're creatures of habit. Whatever we're more used to will feel easier. I started a few years ago as a treadmill only person because I was way overweight and embarrased about going out on the road. When I finally dropped some pounds and signed up for my first 5K, I begrudgingly hit the pavement and it felt like twice the effort. Now it's pretty much the other way around. I can go much faster with less effort outside. That being the case, I've been doing a lot more indoor work on the treadmill with hills and intervals, given the crappy winter we've had. As a result, I'm finding my outdoor runs to be a bit more difficult again, as I'm only getting in ~2 days a week outside.

If you're looking to start doing races, I'd definitely recommend at least mixing it up when you can and get outside on some of your runs. Good luck!
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Yep, I'm with Pete and Elizabeth. The best way to train for a race is to do the type of running that race requires. So train for track runs by running a track, hilly races by running hills, and road races by running roads. But if you prefer doing treadmill runs, just throw in a road or track run once or twice a week and that will help you adapt to the different conditions.

Personally I much prefer running outside, but there are definitely uses for treadmills. I am getting ready to run an extremely hilly race -- we don't have any hills that long around here, so I use the treadmill to train on extended uphills.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    It's been proven via studies that running on a treadmill with a 1 degree incline simulates road/track running. The treadmill is slightly more quad dominant while the road/track is slightly more hamstring dominant, so if you are training for a road/track race via treadmill workouts then work some hamstring curls into your routine.

This a great post, and I just wanted to reiterate it. I always set the treadmill to 0.5% or 1% elevation, and have never found running outside to be more difficult than on a treadmill. And working in some leg resistance training is helpful too.