Is RunKeeper Elite worth it?

Options
I got the RunKeeper app on my iPhone last week. I love it so far. Having it track my distance and calories is really motivating to me. Every now and then the app sends me emails to say I've set a new personal record for distance, etc. However, I would have access to a lot more information about my activities, like longest duration, fastest average pace, etc if I signed up for RunKeeper Elite, which is 4.99 a month or 19.99 for a year.

Does anyone here have RunKeeper Elite? Is it worth the money? The app itself was free and 20 bucks for a year isn't all that expensive but I wanted some feedback before signing up for it.

Replies

• beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I have it because I have friends and family who like to live track my activities when I'm out and about, plus I like graphs! I thought it was worth the money tbh on an annual basis.
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Bumping, 'cause I also want to know how people compare RunKeeper to MapMyRun.
  • weightofyourskin
    Options
    I have it because I have friends and family who like to live track my activities when I'm out and about, plus I like graphs!

None of my friends and family have RunKeeper Elite - I think I'd be kind of freaked out to know people were live-tracking my every move! :laugh:
  • WhomII
    WhomII Posts: 24
    Options
    Never heard of it. I have a Garmin watch that we just LOVE! It tracks time, distance, pace and much more but I haven't used the other features as of yet. You can also download your stats to the computer some how.
  • bettykitterton
    Options
    I just signed up for Elite. The Live feature is pretty fun!! Worth $20 for a year IMO.

I found this review helpful:

http://blog.outrunyou.com/2012/10/04/runkeeper-elite-review/
  • steve95476
    Options
    Mine is a mixed review. I initially liked Elite. But can't get it to sync with the changed version of Myfitness pal.
  • stephenszymanski
    stephenszymanski Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    If you want the live feature, then it's probably worth it.

Personally, I don't need the live tracking... and the free app shows me all the data I need. So, I don't think it's worth it.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Does anyone here have RunKeeper Elite? Is it worth the money? The app itself was free and 20 bucks for a year isn't all that expensive but I wanted some feedback before signing up for it.

I've only recently felt that the analytics might be useful when I've started aiming towards a 10K, for routine tracking it does its job pretty well without the full package. The live tracking looks interesting but ID be concerned about battery life, on long rides my iPhone struggles already.
  • Chewbacca262
    Options
    Do you guys still think it's worth it several months later?

I just started using this along with the Zombies, Run app.

shameless plug to hit me up for a friend on Runkeeper or here:

http://runkeeper.com/user/Chewbacca262/profile
  • redambition
    redambition Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've been using Runkeeper for several years, and when I got back into running at the start of the year (soooo, mostly walking at the moment), I shelled out and paid for Elite.

The Live tracking will help my husband feel less stressed when I'm out running alone (he can see that yes, I am still ok). It'll also be good when I'm racing and family can't be there.

The graphs are pretty and informative.

The big thing for me was giving something back to the makers of the app. I'd been using it for free for so long and I really love how it helps me in my training. I figured my contribution would be a good thing, perhaps to fund even more development work to make it better!
  • peterjasper
    peterjasper Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Might have to upgrade myself....live tracking might help my wife too.

thanks for the link to the review BTW

http://runkeeper.com/user/lazygecko
  • MsValerieAnne
    MsValerieAnne Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have it for the plans and live tracking. I feel more secure knowing my friends can "follow me around" during night walks, etc (yes I walk, trying to learn to run lol).
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I got the elite free for a year - I never used it even once. The free version gives me everything I need.
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    The free version is all I need but I confess when I did have the elite, I liked the information it provided. By that I mean the comparison of all my like runs. It really isn't too expensive so if you have the money, I don't think it is a mistake to use elite.
  • Msdirection
    Msdirection Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I've got the elite version and love it. I'm training for a half marathon so the extra stats is fantastic for me!
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I like the free version, apart from occasionally it will add an extra km to my run, and tell me I completed that split in something crazy like 59 seconds. I also have to readjust the calorie count when it syncs through to MFP, because its fairly reasonable estimate of 490 calories for a 10K will suddenly become 900 in my food diary, which I'd like to believe is true but almost certainly is not.
  • hmrambling
    hmrambling Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    DM frepont on Reddit if you would like to try RunKeeper Go for free. Is the new Runkeeper Go worth it?