Basa Recipe Request

Options
AuroraCoL
AuroraCoL Posts: 18 Member
So my fiance just picked up a bunch of basa today. I tried it once a few years and hated it, but I figure it's so cheap and low cal I may as well give it another shot. Any suggestions? My first attempt will be to pat it dry, coat it with seasoned flour, and lightly pan fry it. I'll serve it with steamed broccoli and maybe some brown rice. Hoping it turns out better than last time :( IF YOU HAVE COOKED WITH BASA PLEASE TELL ME YOUR SECRETS

Replies

• mungowungo
    mungowungo Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I usually bake it wrapped in foil with a little butter and lemon pepper.
  • AuroraCoL
    AuroraCoL Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I usually bake it wrapped in foil with a little butter and lemon pepper.

That's what I did my first time and it had a horribly eggy flavour / texture. Any ideas as to what I did wrong? How does yours turn out?
  • Keep_The_Laughter
    Keep_The_Laughter Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    This is a fast and flavorful way to serve basa.

Thaw the basa fillet and pat it dry.
    Season it with salt, cayenne, cumin, paprika and parsley.
    Let it stand for a few.
    Chop up a hardy serving of your favorite greens, (red chard and dragon/Tuscan kale work well).
    Slice a few mushrooms.
    Peel and slice thin 1 carrot.
    Cut 8 to 10 grape tomatoes in half.
    Quarter 3 jumbo green olives, (whatever type you like really, or even some capers).
    Mince or press 2 cloves of garlic.
    Set aside a teaspoon or two of your favorite vinegar.
    Use a non-stick skillet, or use a tiny bit of oil on a hot skillet, and sautée your favorite greens with garlic, salt and red chili flakes for 30 seconds.
    Sprinkle in your vinegar.
    Cover the skillet let the greens wilt 1 to 3 minutes.
    Remove the greens to the serving plate.
    Making sure the skillet is still hot add in the mushroom and carrot slices, sautée for a minute.
    Stir once and push the veggies to the edges of the pan.
    Sear the basa in the middle of the pan seasoned side down for 1.5 to 2 minutes.
    Flip the basa, add the tomatoes and olives to the pan.
    Cover the fish with the sautéing veggies and cover the pan for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the fillet is fully cooked.
    Serve on top of the still warm greens.
  • krys185
    Options
    Just throw it in an oven dish, add some lemon juice, mixed herbs, salt and pepper. Mix it all around a bit so it's all coated. Place some alfoil (aluminium foil) over the top and place it in the oven for about 20 minutes! Done! So healthy and yum yum!!