Argh weekend weight gain

Options
Here we go again ...I seem to have no self control at the weekends ...during the week I am so good and strict ...come Friday I think I deserve a reward so I have a blow out that lasts the whole weekend ...come Monday I step on the scales to see a 2lb weight gain it serves me right ...does anyone else do the same ...feels like a real ..rut now it will take me a week to get rid of that AGAIN !!

Replies

• keeptehpeace
    keeptehpeace Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    water weight. try having a larger deficit during the week so you can allow yourself a reasonable amount more at the weekend to prevent what I assume is a binge weekend
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    This is why I weigh in on Friday :tongue:
  • caroline_mason42
    caroline_mason42 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you, I work so hard on being good during the week and then at the weekend the whole healthy eating plan goes straight out of the window - there always seems to be a valid excuse too....daughters Birthday, Mum's birthday, valentines and that was just the past three weeks :drinker: ....i just wish i could control my self at the weekend but I just feel afer a hard working week I need a few little treats - but it ends up turning into a three day 'eat and drnk what you like session' I definitely need to get more self control ....
  • samfleming96155
    samfleming96155 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Argh I feel your pain! I keep doing exactly the same! Luckily, my binges seem to balance out my deficit, meaning I stay the same rather than gain, which isn't so bad, but I really want to get to a healthy weight! I'm trying to plan a healthy weekend for this week to try and break the cycle!
  • aliceclutz90
    aliceclutz90 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm trying to break this cycle too. Think it's better to have smaller treats throughout the week than a binge on the weekend
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Those 2 lbs are probably water weight more often than not.
  • fannytoot
    fannytoot Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I always think it's water weight but it can take a week to dissapear
  • MzNeecie
    MzNeecie Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Maybe reward yourself on Monday instead of Friday for having made it through the weekend. That way you have the rest of the week to stay on task and you still gave yourself a reprieve.
  • martinytime
    martinytime Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I can relate....try to be good during week only to blow it on the weekend....so now I find a decent balance and try to work my splurge in even if it means working out a bit longer that day to compensate...or not eating all my exercise calories back during the week, so I do have some room to play a bit.
  • aimee614
    aimee614 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    it happens to me all the time. last week i lost 4 pounds and this weekend i gained two of those pounds lost back.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Here we go again ...I seem to have no self control at the weekends ...during the week I am so good and strict ...come Friday I think I deserve a reward so I have a blow out that lasts the whole weekend ...come Monday I step on the scales to see a 2lb weight gain it serves me right ...does anyone else do the same ...feels like a real ..rut now it will take me a week to get rid of that AGAIN !!
    Did you really eat 7,000 calories over your total daily energy expenditure this weekend? That would've probably been about 7,500 calories each day. That's not good. :noway:

Seriously, unless you ate as I described above, you are retaining water. Besides this, weight naturally fluctuates.

If you have a problem with the numbers, never step on the scale after a weekend of eating too much. Weight yourself on Friday morning or something.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Fanny,

I see you don't log your food. How do you keep track of calories without logging?
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem, especially this week-end, with Valentine's Day and my daughter's birthday. I ate between 400 and 500 over my goal two days in a row. Also, workplace eating, is usually not a problem, but my boss had a birthday cake. I need to say no to some things, but it seems rude. Also, I don't look extremely overweight, so people wonder why I'm doing this, but I have high cholesterol and high body fat percentage (35.8) although I look normal in clothes. Maybe I should say I have health issues that prevent me from eating certain things. I also wonder how much diet and fitness goals should impede social/family celebrations, or even vice versa.
    I have heard about people on diets bringing their own food to events, or going to the event after food is served or leaving before food is served. I have also sometimes thought about missing a church or social event because I would have to miss a workout, for instance, doing a yoga and cardio workout rather than going to a concert at my church (which I actually did).
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    If you're going to be doing a weekly weigh-in maybe you should change it to a day like Wednesday or Friday morning where you're not immediately following a sodium blowout meal (or meals). Your right-this-moment weight is dependent on a lot of variables aside from "how much fat is under my skin right now", variables like "how salty were my last few meals" and "how much fiber have I had recently" - which can lead to a Monday morning bloat that should clear by Wednesday.

Unless you actually went over maintenance by 7,000 calories this weekend, in which case - maybe you should not do that.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Ehh for me this happens sometimes too, even if I eat within my calorie goal.

Sometimes it is due to sodium. However, more often for me it's because of increased exercise. I am not super active during the work week. Usually just a few walks and such. On the weekends I often get 80-90% of my week's exercise from tons of errands, hiking/walking long distances, tennis, bicycling, etc. When that happens, I often see 1-2 lb "gain" and as I understand it, that is your body/muscles hanging onto it for repair and healing from the increased activity. Possible for you?
  • shazbox1
    shazbox1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    ...come Friday I think I deserve a reward

This I think was one of my biggest problems when I started. I got rid of this idea that I was being 'good' all week and that deserved rewarding. Instead I thought of it as doing what needs to be done all week and continuing to do so on the weekend. I still 'reward' myself from time to time, but try to keep those rewards within my calorie goals for the day at the same time.
  • nashpredz
    nashpredz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This happens to me as well. Pretty much every Monday. Glad to see I'm not the only one. I think maybe I'll just not weigh on Mondays. lol
  • NikkiMem2Dal
    Options
    How about taking it down to one day of unhealthy eating instead of three? I know it's difficult but you can fight the urge!
  • fannytoot
    fannytoot Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I don't log my calories anymore because I do the dukan diet which is very strict I've done it before so I know what I am eating in a day as I said before I am really strict with it during the week but totally cave in and give it up at the weekends totally pointless really ...but I actually enjoy it until I think I deserve huge rewards at the weekend ! Seriously I am not too bothered as I am kind of happy where I am right now ...but i just can't believe 2 pounds pile on so quick !
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I don't log my calories anymore because I do the dukan diet which is very strict I've done it before so I know what I am eating in a day as I said before I am really strict with it during the week but totally cave in and give it up at the weekends totally pointless really ...but I actually enjoy it until I think I deserve huge rewards at the weekend ! Seriously I am not too bothered as I am kind of happy where I am right now ...but i just can't believe 2 pounds pile on so quick !

They don't pile on that quick, unless you're eating at a serious surplus. If you allowed yourself a treat every day, you probably wouldn't feel the need to binge on the weekends.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/925464-fitting-it-in-giggity