Calories earned

Options
Hi

Just wondered how many of you actually eat back the calories burned through exercise?
Is it best to do this or not

Replies

• thylordclifford
    thylordclifford Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Some people say to eat back a certain amount depending on weight training, cardio etc... I absolutely DO NOT. Have been loosing weight every day. However. If you already have a very low calorie fix and burn off something like 1500 calories in a day. Logic dictates you would eat some back. As an example, todays calories burned will not be eaten back. Yesterday was unusual. It was an extremely long day, burned off 1510 calories and ate all of them back and more. Yet I still lost 1 1/2lbs
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I do! Its how this program is set up to work...and it does work. Its an easy way to make sure you're eating at nutritionally apprpriste levels. That said...you do have to make sure your numbers are accurate. The ones MFP gives you tend to be high..so use only 60% or so of those, or get a good HRM.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    some people that worry about burning calories and making sure to eat the right amount back have found some solice in TDEE - 20%.

Okay, so your TDEE is your total daily energy expenditure. basically, how much you burn based on your activity level. figure it out here. http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

enter your data and your goal, and look at the line that says "Daily calories based on goal in step 6" now what you do is on a daily basis, try and reach that number. but see the line above, where it says "Daily calories to maintain weight (TDEE)"? if you go over your calories one day, and still get under that number, you're still in a deficit.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    MFP is designed for you to eat your exercise calories back.

I switched to the TDEE method in August, but when I followed the MFP program, I lost 45 pounds while eating my exercise calories back. It works.
  • 4MissRose
    Options
    This concept scares me, I've been doing it for the past couple of days and the idea of eating more calories than my "magic number" freaks me out!
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I do! Its how this program is set up to work...and it does work. Its an easy way to make sure you're eating at nutritionally apprpriste levels. That said...you do have to make sure your numbers are accurate. The ones MFP gives you tend to be high..so use only 60% or so of those, or get a good HRM.

QFT. I eat my calories back, because I average over 500 calories a day of exercise, measured with an accurate HRM (and verified by my actual weight loss results). If I didn't, I would have a deficit of 1000-1500 calories a day (including my weight loss goal deficit), and would be losing weight way too quickly.

MFP's database often overestimates calories burned, sometimes by a huge amount, so some people eat back only some calories - half, or two thirds, for example. You can verify accuracy by comparing your actual weight loss with your food and exercise log.
  • Hozman121
    Hozman121 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I just started eating my exercise calories back this past week. Be 7 days days this coming Tuesday. For the past 3 months I have not done this but the last few weeks I started losing water lbs and lean muscle. I will weigh Tuesday and see if I am still losing.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I've done the math, and when my fitbit syncs with MFP, it equals the same as TDEE-20% so I eat my exercise calories back. However, if you don't accurately measure your activity, I can see why people wouldn't lose if they eat theirs back.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you are consistent with your workouts and are afraid that MFP or a HRM will exaggerate your calories burned, then you should just increase your activity level; 3-4 hours a week would make you lightly active, 5-6 hours would make you active. This way you aim for the same goal each day and do not have to worry about exercise calories. The fact is, with very little weight to lose, your goals should not be aggressive. In fact, you should be aiming for 1/2 lb per week, maybe 20% less than TDEE, with enough protein levels to hit 1g per lb of lean body mass and resistance training to maintain your lean body mass.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    This concept scares me, I've been doing it for the past couple of days and the idea of eating more calories than my "magic number" freaks me out!

The magic number, as you put it, would likely be higher for you on any other site that establishes a moderate deficit including intended exercise. Huge deficits, which is what happens when you don't eat those exercise calories back, will result in weight loss, but a lot of that weight will not be fat thus making it easier to put fat on once you raise your calories to maintenance.

Follow the site as designed measuring your food carefully with a kitchen scale for solids and measuring cups and spoons for liquids so your logging it accurate.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    It is very important you try and eat back your calories. Many people fall into thinking its a good idea not to without really realizing what they are suggesting you do to yourself. Without eating calroies back you are going to be burning muscle instead of fat, you don't want to do this as you will end up skinny and still have some fat in places you don't want. Better to eat back the calories and be lean and fit instead of skinny fat and weak
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    MFP is designed for you to eat your exercise calories back.

I switched to the TDEE method in August, but when I followed the MFP program, I lost 45 pounds while eating my exercise calories back. It works.

I've lost 50lb in less than half a year doing this (eating back calories) , I am now also fitter and stronger than I've been in 20 years
  • clairekyty
    clairekyty Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi

Thanks everyone for taking time to reply I will be ensuring I eat back my calories burned for sure
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hi

Thanks everyone for taking time to reply I will be ensuring I eat back my calories burned for sure

How are you measuring calories burned and for what exercises?
  • _db_
    _db_ Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    There are no calories earned. There are only calories burned or unburned. Those unburned hang around my waist.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Depends if I'm hungry or not. I try to met at least 1200. Sometimes I don't if I'm just not hungry.
  • CallMeRuPaul
    CallMeRuPaul Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I eat 'em all up AND THEN SOME! NOM, NOM, NOM!!!
  • melismh
    melismh Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Help...what does TDEE stand for?
    Thanks!
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    The answer is: sometimes. I set my calorie goal a little higher than MFP. Because of my blood sugar, I have to eat approx. 1600 calories/day but MFP sets it at 1450. If I don't work out that day, earning more calories, I end up shaky and sick or going over my calorie limit.

I usually just use the 1600 calories, but if I want an extra "treat" or notice that I'm getting shaky, even though I've eaten all my calories, I will eat back some of the calories. I only use about 1/2 of the earned calories but I only do it once every couple of weeks.

The other night I earned 684 calories and used about 350 to have a slice of my son's pizza. Yummy!
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Yes, I eat back exercise calories. I try to net 1500-1600 cals a day, so if I do 400 calories of exercise, and I've eaten 1200, I want to eat those 400 exercise calories back to get up to 1600.
    I won't lose weight if I net 1200 calories because my body will interpret that as not having enough fuel and will start storing body fat.