Good carbs?

Options
2»

Replies

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    When people talk about "good carbs" and low carb dieting they're generally referring to low sugar, non-starchy fruits and vegetables. If you're not following an extremely strict low carb diet "good carbs" usually mean any whole food -- fruits, vegetables, beans and the like.

Diet Doctor has a great low carb for beginners section that sums up the foods you can eat as much as you like of and also an "avoid if you can" section you might find helpful.

http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

But carbs are carbs the same way that calories are calories. Sure, some may be more healthful than others but It's more important to determine the amount of carbs you personally can tolerate and sticking to that number than anything else. Once that limit is established you can work out what foods you enjoy that fit into your carb allowance.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to low carb it for awhile but I no they said there is a difference in good carbs and bad carbs. In general does anyone have a list of good carbs and bad carbs that I can eliminate completely ??

There is a difference between complex and simple carbohydrates, and the one is definitely healthier for your body than the other.

http://www.nutritionmd.org/nutrition_tips/nutrition_tips_understand_foods/carbs_choosing.html

"one is definitely healthier for your body than the other"?

Really? For everyone in every situation? Period, the end?

Is it just me, or does it seem like certain beliefs are more likely to be shared in a "hit and run" manner without any support or defense whatsoever?

I'm putting this "complex = good, simple = bad, always" on the list next to "cleanses detox the body of...you know, [always unnamed] toxins...and stuff" and "natural sugar = good, added sugar = bad, always".

Oh yeah. I could post you a list of the usernames that routinely hit and run. After a while I simply put them on ignore, because I can correct their bad advice only so many times before I start to see stars (and not in a good way).
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    There's quite a good explanation of simple vs complex carbohydrates here:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_difference_between_simple_and_complex_carbohydrates#slide1

and a list detailing food that fits into each category here

http://ezinearticles.com/?List-of-Simple-Carbohydrates-and-Complex-Carbohydrates-Foods&id=1107314
    Both links perfectly exemplify the saying...a little information is dangerous. Disregard both links.
    I just looked at them. I laughed hysterically at the fact that the second article listed mostly simple carbs as complex carbs, and mostly complex carbs as simple carbs. My personal favorite was the fact that it listed milk in both lists.:laugh:

Milk is complicated.

Or something.
  • FindingMyPerfection
    Options
    "Good" carbs hold more nutritional value like fiber vitinins and minerals. "Bad"carbs hold low amounts of nutritional value.

Personally I feel it should be called nutrient rich carbs and nutrient poor carbs but I don't think it is controversal enough to catch on.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Ice cream, pizza, good IPA, apples, oranges, grapes, wine, maples syrup, and pancakes are some of my favorite good carbs
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    There is just food and drink.

Enjoy both as you see fit.

If you want to drop some blubber then you may need to moderate and move the legs a bit more.

Aint any more complex than that, for most.
  • ajkolb
    ajkolb Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Exactly! Yes, there IS a difference in carbs! Some are slow digesting, some are fast! You need to eat the appropriate ones to fuel your body as needed.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Exactly! Yes, there IS a difference in carbs! Some are slow digesting, some are fast! You need to eat the appropriate ones to fuel your body as needed.

Slow and fast does not equate to good and bad.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

Slow and fast does not equate to good and bad.

I know a few women who would disagree.