going to the gym

Options
hi everyone, ok so i need advise. I started at the gym on Saturday this is what i did for the past few days:

Sat: 25 Mins tredmill various speeds and incline
25 Mins elliptical various speeds and incline
weights

Sun: Same as Saturday

Mon: 30 Mins on tredmill
weights

Tues: rest day

Wed: 40 Mins Tredmill Various speeds and a higher incline
20 Mins elliptical Incline 11 resistance 15
Weights

Thurs: Rest Day?

Fri: Same as Wed

So my question is if i took Tuesdays and Thursdays as rest days and did this type of schedule would that be ok? is it a good workout?

Replies

• michael300891
    Options
    Looks great including rest days.

However, I would recommend performing the weights prior to the cardio.

Using weights is mostly high intensity with quite a bit of rest meaning you use rely on carbohydrate (sugar) stores. This means to get the best performance on your weights you need to be well rested. If you have done 40 mins cardio you will have depleted most of your glycogen (muscle sugar stores) making it more difficult to weight train maximally.

In contrast, by doing weights first you deplete your muscle sugars to a greater extent, which increases reliance on fat.

The summary, you doing a better weights session and burn more fat.

Let me know if you have any other questions :)

Doctoral Researcher in Exercise Adaptation and Metabolism:

Follow me on Twitter (https://twitter.com/Michael300891)
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I agree I would also lift first ( lift Heavy )
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    I agree, lift first, and I would lift more.

Rigger
  • phattothin
    Options
    i am doing to the following weights which are all using the machines, no free weights:

Leg Press - 3 sets, 10 reps, 95lbs
    Chest Press - 3 sets, 8 reps, 30 lbs
    Tricep Extention - 3 sets, 10 reps, 50lbs
    Machine Fly - 3 sets, 8 reps, 30lbs

Im not trying to really build muscle but to get rid of all my fat.
  • bitten2better
    bitten2better Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    i am doing to the following weights which are all using the machines, no free weights:

A couple of thoughts on this -

1) Definitely consider switching to free weights. In using free weights, you use muscles not only to move the weight, but also to stabilize. This is more 'real life' applicable.

2) I know you said your goal isn't necessary to build muscle, but go in with a plan! For example, you are doing 2 chest exercises (flys and press) but no back exercises??
  • michael300891
    Options

1) Definitely consider switching to free weights. In using free weights, you use muscles not only to move the weight, but also to stabilize. This is more 'real life' applicable.

2) I know you said your goal isn't necessary to build muscle, but go in with a plan! For example, you are doing 2 chest exercises (flys and press) but no back exercises??

Yes absolutely to both points. Particularly the issue in regard to no back exercises. Training should always be balanced to prevent injury (and for men putting on mass: looking ridiculous).

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

I would not worry about building muscle. Building muscle is EXTREMELY hard, and even that much harder for females.

Agreed with the 2 above points, and IMHO the leg press is probably pretty light. Can you squat down and back up 10 times.....if so the press is too light.
  • bitten2better
    bitten2better Posts: 39 Member
    Options

Yes absolutely to both points. Particularly the issue in regard to no back exercises. Training should always be balanced to prevent injury (and for men putting on mass: looking ridiculous).

Looking ridiculous? haha yes! I hate going into a gym and seeing the guy that does 3 different bicep curl variations, bench, incline bench, flys, etc... I just want to be like, "bro, ever heard of a Pendlay row?"
  • beaches222
    beaches222 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    bump for ideas
  • shazbox1
    shazbox1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Looks great including rest days.

However, I would recommend performing the weights prior to the cardio.

Using weights is mostly high intensity with quite a bit of rest meaning you use rely on carbohydrate (sugar) stores. This means to get the best performance on your weights you need to be well rested. If you have done 40 mins cardio you will have depleted most of your glycogen (muscle sugar stores) making it more difficult to weight train maximally.

In contrast, by doing weights first you deplete your muscle sugars to a greater extent, which increases reliance on fat.

The summary, you doing a better weights session and burn more fat.

Let me know if you have any other questions :)

Agree. Plus, weights are just hard to do when you are already a bit drained from cardio. The elliptical is more auto-mode from my experience.