How many carbs?

Options
How many grams of carbs do you generally eat a day? Do you notice a difference if you lower your carb intake when it comes to weight loss? I generally try to stay under 100grams of carbs a day because I feel like I carry more weight the more breads and pastas I eat! I know most people will say "a calorie is a calorie. As long as you have a deficit then you will lose weight" . But I would like to hear from others about their experience with cutting carbs, I'm currently trying to follow a 30-40-30split (carb/pro/fat).

Replies

• jwfuller78
    Options
    I follow the www.iifym.com calculator for macros, and for me it is a 25/45/30% split.

Are you asking about cutting carbs or cutting bread/pasta?

I'm a liberal paleo dieter, but I'm strict on no pastas or grains (with occasional cheating). I always feel bloated and crappy after eating breads, and I went on a cereal@breakfast binge last week and started getting severe indigestion and heartburn by the end of the week.

I get my carbs from veggies, and I don't notice any difference in weight or how I feel when I increase or decrease my intake. Overall, I only gain weight when I'm eating more calories than I burn. It's hard to get away from that.

Hope that helps.
  • ShiraDarling
    ShiraDarling Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input, anyone else??
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    How many grams of carbs do you generally eat a day? Do you notice a difference if you lower your carb intake when it comes to weight loss? I generally try to stay under 100grams of carbs a day because I feel like I carry more weight the more breads and pastas I eat! I know most people will say "a calorie is a calorie. As long as you have a deficit then you will lose weight" . But I would like to hear from others about their experience with cutting carbs, I'm currently trying to follow a 30-40-30split (carb/pro/fat).

I'm doing the opposite due to endurance training. I am trying to increase the number of carbs I eat. I need to eat between 3.25g per pound of body weight and 3.75g per pound each day due to cardio exercise of 7-11 hours per week. However, I have not been eating that many at all and am falling way short. If my cardio performance is going to improve - I need the fuel and need to alter my thoughts on how many high quality carbs I can add and what I can take away to balance things out.

But those are different needs for endurance athletic performance.

If you are getting 4 hours or less of cardio per week, shoot for no more than 2 - 2.75g per pound of body weight each day to fuel your cardio workouts. If you are under 100g per day, that's a very low carb diet and if you do perform cardio - the sessions are probably quite short.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    300-400g
  • pelkins
    Options
    Its going to vary by person obviously, I found what works best for me is to keep under 125g/day or about .5g/lb. I shoot more for the overall macro balance than the number itself. As you eat more protein you will need to intake more carbs to match. I work to stick to 30% Carbs / 45% Protein / 25% Fats
  • joecgoodman
    Options
    I like that myfitnesspal tracks my protein, fat, & carbs, but I HATE that it won't let me adjust my goal grams on macro nutrients. The defaults are too high on carbs and too low on protein for me. I hope someone can tell me I'm wrong and teach me how to customize the nutrient details goals. THANKS. -Joe
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I like that myfitnesspal tracks my protein, fat, & carbs, but I HATE that it won't let me adjust my goal grams on macro nutrients. The defaults are too high on carbs and too low on protein for me. I hope someone can tell me I'm wrong and teach me how to customize the nutrient details goals. THANKS. -Joe

go to your home page and goals and then customize. you can change the % but not directly say you want X grams, just % change.
  • amandarunning
    amandarunning Posts: 306 Member
    Options

go to your home page and goals and then customize. you can change the % but not directly say you want X grams, just % change.

Took me a while to find that too!

You can also get % and grams here http://macronutrientcalculator.com/ which might help.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    I've lowered my carbs to about 200 a day and I've been able to subdue the sugar monster for the last 5 years or so. Carbs have nothing to do with weight loss, except if by lowering your carbs that that new way of dieting make your compliance fall into line and you can control your feeding easier.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I eat around 200-250g. If I don't eat enough carbs, then I feel hungry. Carbs take away the initial hunger, then proteins and fats help me stay full through the day. So I shoot for all three in each meal.
  • icu814me2
    icu814me2 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I think I am the exdeption here. I am on a low carb diet, so I eat between 20-40 carbs PER DAY. I eat the fatty cuts of meat, and some elan. I get my carbs through high vitamin veggies. No breads at all and no potatoes. I have lost 15 pounds in 7 days and my wife has 10 to lose and lost 4 in 7 days. I did this once before but then fell off the wagon. That time I lost 60 pounds. My check in at the MD was amazing. All labs were great and I was working towards really good health and weight. I guess it's what works for you, but I can stick with low carb vs just watching calories. I have read if you are lean and just want to lose a little, or maintain, then 50-75 per day works. You just have to get past NOT wanting to eat fat. You HAVE to have the fat on this diet. Maybe read up on it. Paleo, Atkinds, Keto, etc...They are all low (Not no) carb.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for a lifestyle change....I've done low carb diets, low fat diets....you name it. They weight came back (for me). So, THIS time I'm eating what I can eat for a lifetime.

I bumped my protein up a bit (from MFP defaults)....I try to hit that # everyday....I try to hit my fat # everyday.....the rest are carbs (or whatever).
  • icu814me2
    icu814me2 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I've lowered my carbs to about 200 a day and I've been able to subdue the sugar monster for the last 5 years or so. Carbs have nothing to do with weight loss, except if by lowering your carbs that that new way of dieting make your compliance fall into line and you can control your feeding easier.

Carbs have nothing to do with weight loss??? Unless I read your post wrong, that is 100% incorrect.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options

Carbs have nothing to do with weight loss??? Unless I read your post wrong, that is 100% incorrect.
    Why, and did you read the complete sentence?
  • tegalicious
    Options
    290-550 grams/day. Just kind of depends on how many calories I have to spend. Typically once my fat and protein minimums have been met I eat whatever I want. And that is usually delicious carbs :).
  • ab_1203
    ab_1203 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I usually hit 130-150g a day and Im losing comfortably. I dont really notice any difference if I go below hundred when it comes to weight loss unless Im going to Keto amounts like under 20g. I definitely do notice the difference in the gym when eating low carbs though, I feel better eating more. I think if I could make one macro higher it would definitely be carbs but right now, I cant raise them without the other macros being affected.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Should have read "Carbs have very little to do with actual fat loss"

When starting low carb you will deplete your glycogen stores, since glycogen retains water you will lose water weight. It comes down to the size of your deficit, protein intake, genetics, exercise regime to determine how much fat you lose.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

When starting low carb you will deplete your glycogen stores, since glycogen retains water you will lose water weight. It comes down to the size of your deficit, protein intake, genetics, exercise regime to determine how much fat you lose.

x2.

My carbs are just shy of 400g/day at the current moment. Slowly pushing when up about 10-15g every two weeks or so.
  • MB2MN
    MB2MN Posts: 334 Member
    Options

x2.

My carbs are just shy of 400g/day at the current moment. Slowly pushing when up about 10-15g every two weeks or so.

this. Low carb diets (in my experience) do go hand in hand with weight loss but mostly because it is a really filling way to eat less calories. A bowl of cereal with milk can be 500 cals (if you don't stick to the puny serving size) yet a couple of eggs, veggies and turkey bacon could be 300 and WAY more filling.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Wait, what? ^