If i eat more lean protein calories i will lose more?

Options
Let me get this straight, if i eat more lean protein and up my calories i may be able to lose more weight?

I have been eating 1200-1300 calories a day & eating 70gs of protein a week. I have lost 14lbs in 2 1/2 months doing this.
Starting this week i will be eating 1400-1500 & eating 100gs using protein only to up those calories.

I workout 6 days/hours a week.

If i add more lean protein do i need to worry about my calorie deficit as much?

Replies

• acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    You eat protein to retain/gain muscle and feel satiated. Calories are how you lose/gain weight.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You may but will probably be water weight if it is carbs you lower to increase protein. weight loss will come down to your deficit, macros, size of deficit, and exercise, will affect fat loss vs lean body mass loss

What you will lose by eating more protein, is fat. A larger % of your weight loss will come from fat on a higher protein diet, as protein helps you retain the muscle you already have while in a caloric deficit

So adding, progressive overloading strength training, having a small caloric deficit, and getting adequate protein, will help you retain more of your lean muscle as you lose weight. In other words you will have a lower BF% at your goal weight than if all or any of these are missing.
  • DirtyCurvesAhead
    Options
    Upping your cals will not make you lose weight faster. That being said many times when people up their cals hey move more during the day because they have more energy increasing your TDEE unintentionally.
  • Buksh12
    Buksh12 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Is that a typo? 70g of protein a week? thats 10g of protein a day?

Even MFP suggests around 45g of protein a day?! your percent of protein is 0.8 percent of your diet? so is ~99% of it from fat and carbs?

Im tired so my maths is going to be awful so someone can double check that.

But surely you can have about 10% of your diet from protein?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Is that a typo? 70g of protein a week? thats 10g of protein a day?

Even MFP suggests around 45g of protein a day?! your percent of protein is 0.8 percent of your diet? so is ~99% of it from fat and carbs?

Im tired so my maths is going to be awful so someone can double check that.

But surely you can have about 10% of your diet from protein?

she means per day, but 10% is much too low too. May be okay amount for someone that is sedentary and eating at maintenance, for everyone else is should be well above 20%.
  • Buksh12
    Options
    Yeh sorry not sure what it is for the average person im on 40% intake on protein at the moment i dont hit it but i try to get close.

i was thinking 46g a day for the average person..?
  • Amandabelanger614
    Amandabelanger614 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Yes, its a typo.

This week im going from 70 a day to 100.
  • Buksh12
    Options
    Thats cool :) i currently aim for 190. tbh i reached my target about 3-4 weeks ago.. then when i hit my target i increased my calories in total by 400. 200 at first then another 200 2 weeks later as i was still losing weight just slightly slower. ive added more protein into my diet about 300 cals of protein a day...

if you check out my diary this weekend is a pretty good example although not saying this would be the case for everyone... i ate pretty shoking with it being valentines day friday e.t.c and ive still woke up sunday and lost weight..im pretty sure im on a defecit still btw with my total calores but im working slowly on finding the right amount and tbh i am happy to lose the bit of extra weight :)

so i hope this is helpful and is the question your asking :)
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing what you're doing before the broscience comes sweeping in.