Injury - need ideas for cardio

Options
Any ideas for cardio that is injured ankle friendly? I sprained my ankle last Monday and cannot do the treadmill, bike or eliptical....feeling discouraged!!! My goal before injury was to run 1/2 marathon on October.

Replies

• amandarunning
    amandarunning Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Swimming? If your ankle allows then perhaps some water running? If not then use a pull buoy and upper body only in the water.
  • glassgallm
    glassgallm Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Can you swim?
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    swimming? you can use mostly your upper body and the resistance from the water would be less extreme than anything else.

It takes forever for an ankle to totally heal. I have sprained ankles a couple times and after the first week I could do normal daily activity but I wouldn't have been able to do long walks or run on it.

Take your time and slowly progress to your regular routine. Is physio an option? Even just one visit to get a plan in place.
  • bitten2better
    bitten2better Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Any ideas for cardio that is injured ankle friendly? I sprained my ankle last Monday and cannot do the treadmill, bike or eliptical....feeling discouraged!!! My goal before injury was to run 1/2 marathon on October.

Swimming, UBE (upper body ergometer)...

But more importantly...what are you doing to help your ankle? It doesn't take forever for an ankle sprain to heal, but you do need to do things to help it. If all you're doing is sitting around and avoiding using it, you are going to end up weaker than you were in the first place and more likely to re-injure it.
  • ME0172
    ME0172 Posts: 200
    Options
    Row machine? There is also a machine at my gym I've never seen anyone use, but it looks interesting: it's a row machine that you use your arms to pedal. You sit stationary on a seat and the pedals are at the hands. Maybe your gym has something similar?
  • jrittel21
    jrittel21 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have been put in a boot for 2 weeks and was told to do little if any range of motion until seen again. I am in hopes that when I go back I can start doing some physical therapy. They know it is not broke however with the extent of the injury they are not sure if there is soft tissue damage. They will know more in 2 weeks once the swelling is down.

I have had sprained ankles before but never to this degree.

Swimming is out of the question. Although I do swim (and well) the gym I have a membership to does not have a pool.