squats in power 90 sculpt

Options
Started p90 today. I'm concerned about squats for tomorrow. I previewed the workout and there are quite a few squats/lunges. As a complete beginner, should I:
A. Go for it, do the complete range of motion and all squats and lunges even if I need to take a break to finish.
B. Do the full range of motion but not as many.
C. Do the complete number of squats and lunges, just not the full range.

I'm asking because Last time I tried to do squats I was so sore the following day I could not function. Literally could not sit down. Everything was sore and tight. I just want some opinions.

Replies

• shazbox1
    shazbox1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    As long as they aren't hurting your joints, do as many as you can with the full range of motion. As an example, I couldn't get through the 8-8-8 squats at the end originally because I was too out of breathe and felt like I was going to puke. So I just went a bit slower, took some breaths in between each, and did something more like 5-5-5.

If you can't do the full range of motion at all, then do as much of it as you can. Your muscles will probably be burning, but as long as your knees aren't hurting, you should be fine. You will work your way up to being able to keep up.

ETA: I started 3/4 today and was the closest to throwing up I have ever been during a workout. Something to look forward to ;)
  • Sarah_HA81
    Options
    I actually enjoy feeling sick and being a little sore as strange as it sounds. Let's me know my body is changing and improving. Thanks for the reply!
  • nancyluckhurst3
    nancyluckhurst3 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Your body will let you know it is changing without having to feel sick and sore. If you are sick and sore to the point of being non functioning you are doing serious harm to your body. A little tender is normal when you start training but what you describe is not good for you at all. The object is to eat a balanced healthy diet with exercise to bring about a deficit and you will lose weight.
    I actually enjoy feeling sick and being a little sore as strange as it sounds. Let's me know my body is changing and improving. Thanks for the reply!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i say a or b , doing full range will help decrease your odds of getting knee issues. not too mention those are the ones that will really help your posterior chain. it's better to go slow and use good form than to go fast and have bad form
  • HavtaLose
    HavtaLose Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I do B. I see it as quality overly quantity. You don't want to be in a bad form doing it but you also don't want exert yourself to the point of injury. For me personally, lunges are hard. I've had a muscle tear in my right knee long time ago and if I do quick lunges, the pain starts to come back. So I take them slowly focusing on my form and trying to go deep.