Helping myself not to revert back to my previous weight

Options
Rosie_McA
Rosie_McA Posts: 256 Member
Now that I'm nearing my target weight I am concerned about losing those last few pounds but more importantly not reverting back to my previous level.
Yesterday, in order to keep my focus I deliberately filled a rucksack with the equivalent difference between my peak weight and what it is now. Going back this was actually 78kg (172lbs) so a current difference of 21kg (46lbs).

Just a few minutes of walking around the house with this extra weight on my frame was more than enough to convince me that it's been worth it. Don't really care about body shape. I just know my bust up knee much prefers the me of now.

Hope this might help others in some way?

Replies

• jlshea
    jlshea Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Thats a great idea. Even a good motivator for those who feel like what they've already lost isn't significant. I'm going to have to try that.
  • Wildstorms
    Wildstorms Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Genius idea! I've done similar when starting out to feel how much I needed to lose, but not thought about doing it to log how much I've lost...
  • kayveebee7
    kayveebee7 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    When I would complain about "only" losing 5lbs, my mother would say, "Go to the grocery store and walk around with a 5lb bag of potatoes and see how you feel."
  • alexandraaah
    alexandraaah Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    That's a brilliant idea, might try that in a few weeks to remind myself that I have actually lost weight aha.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Just the other day I was carrying something down the stairs that weighed 30+ lbs, and it was tough on my knees. Reminded me that I had been previously carrying that around all the time, and how much better it is now without that load. Incentive to get rid of the rest.
  • Rosie_McA
    Rosie_McA Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    This totally unscientific test certainly served to remind me why I took the decision to make this change. I won't deny that it's a nice side-effect to have a slimmer waist and to be able to wear smaller clothes, but managing my daily pain and improving my quality of life as best I can has been my overriding goal. Perhaps if I had done this sooner my problems would have surfaced much later?

I have read a number of articles on loading through the joints (knees and hips), and in the case of knees the mechanics involved result in a four-fold increase of compressive force for every pound added in weight.
    (example: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/507645 ).
    So by that calculation the knee compression forces as I land my step have reduced by 184lbs. No wonder stairs seem a lot easier now. That analysis certainly got my attention!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!