Does anyone else really hate their job?

Options
It's Monday so it makes it worse but pretty much every day I cry and get physically sick over my job. The stress is out of control and I work anywhere between 10-12 hours a day. I work in a very specialized field so my options are limited. I've been looking for a job for over a year and haven't had any luck. I've been so close to just quitting but I know that would result in me being homeless! I would really like to start over in a different field but unfortunately I have too many school loans I need to pay off so it doesn't allow me to take much of a pay cut.

If you really hate your job, how do you get through the day?

Replies

• prime853
    prime853 Posts: 519
    Options
    OP you need to make a change

get help from parents or family in anyway you can if possible

living like this is not healthy at all and things will most likely only get worse
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,129 Member
    Options
    I **** about my job a lot. I used to hate it. Here's what I did.

I worked my *kitten* off day in and day out, sometimes putting in 16 hour days, every day, months at a time. Eventually made myself into an essential asset, and started looking for jobs elsewhere. When the higher ups saw that I was thinking of leaving, raises started flying my way left and right. Now, I make a lot more than most others in my field, and I don't hate my job anymore.

in short. money can buy happiness.
  • PennyM140
    PennyM140 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Yup, I HATE it here. Every day. Don't know what else I would do though. Starting to make me grumpy at home so it's time for me to figure it out.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should look outside your field.

At the last newspaper where I worked, my editor had a biology degree. So just because you're specifically trained for one thing doesn't mean you can't qualify to do something else -- at least in a short-term capacity if you want to get back into your specific field.

No job is worth that kind of stress.
  • cathiaflock
    cathiaflock Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I can relate to your depression. It sucks bringing that hatred home to your family and no amount of money will remedy that feeling. However, maybe take some time away (vacation) and see maybe you're just burning out. Take Care!
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Work fewer hours. Most people don't have to work 10-12 hours but somehow rope themselves in to it out of some Type A desire to be the best. Cut back. It's flat out not that difficult.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options

I worked my *kitten* off day in and day out, sometimes putting in 16 hour days, every day, months at a time. Eventually made myself into an essential asset, and started looking for jobs elsewhere. When the higher ups saw that I was thinking of leaving, raises started flying my way left and right. Now, I make a lot more than most others in my field, and I don't hate my job anymore.

I don't think that works for everyone though. Some people are just not motivated by money enough for that to be a success. I'm not saying it is a bad idea. I've just been there, a few times, and walked away because stress and misery was not worth it to me.
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,129 Member
    Options

I don't think that works for everyone though. Some people are just not motivated by money enough for that to be a success. I'm not saying it is a bad idea. I've just been there, a few times, and walked away because stress and misery was not worth it to me.

If it's stress related to the job. Then you should seek a different field. If it's just stress and hatred for the place you work, and not the field, contact management. Above your superiors.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. I work for a pool company so its very much feast or famine around here. The spring/summer is SUPER busy and I want to rip my hair out some days... then fall/winter is SOO BORING because we are so slow I have to invent things to do. I have a great boss so it makes the mundane-ness of the job bearable..... but just barely. You know what helps? Just say "screw it" to all of it. Live in the right here and now... the moment that whistle blows leave it all behind.. put it out of your mind and live the here and now again at home. That's all you can do. Don't dwell on it... don't stress about it... just forget about it all. Life is too short. Think of it as a means to an end. WORK TO LIVE. DON'T LIVE TO WORK. Playing the lottery and dreaming about what you would do if your life was suddenly your own again and you weren't a slave to XYZ company helps too :)

Bottom line is you need money to live your life... so go to work... do what needs to be done so you can live. On the flip side... when you're not at work... ENJOY YOURSELF! Live it up to the fullest and enjoy every second that is your own. Good luck!
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I totally understand how you feel, OP.

I got to that point some time back. I have maxed out on my salary, can not be promoted, and pretty much have hit a brick wall as far as professional growth...(which actually happened back in 07), but I live in a small town, jobs are scarce, and even maxed out, my job still pays more than anything else I could find to do around here.

I keep my resume up to date, keep my eyes and ears open, and apply for the occasional comparable position.

That said? I basically had to adjust my attitude and how I view my J-O-B. Yes. It sucks...Yes, some of the higher-ups are jerk wads. However, there are some positives, and I had to look to find them, but they do make the day more bearable...My co-workers are a hoot, the food is good here, LOL, and I'm good at what I do, soo....

Not sure where else I could work that would give me time enough to post and read here, LOL...I've got 13 years in, but if I ever get a better offer? I'm outta here. ;)
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I thoroughly enjoy the field that I work in and the place that I work right now, but there are a select few people in my office that I could really do without. Today, for example, one of them almost drove me to the point of grabbing my coat and walking out the door... and that was by 9:30am this morning.

Luckily, our HR department realizes how sh!tty some of these people are to work with, and they pay me quite well. Our head of HR also lets me call and vent to her whenever I need to... which helps. One of the people that I cannot stand at work happens to share a bed with the CEO, so there's no hope in anything changing.

That being said, if a better opportunity presented itself, I'd be gone in a heartbeat!
  • virgogrl73
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your advice. There are some positives to my job that I will try to focus on. I'm not sure it makes up for all the bad things but until I can find another job I have to make the best of it.
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    Options
    If you are in a situation that you just can't get out of for the time being, I think the best advise (someone earlier mentioned) is to leave work at the door and focus on things outside of work. I know it's difficult, especially if you are a person who is really into their work, but it's worth a try.

The job market is still rough so maybe keep networking and hopefully something will come your way soon.
  • fairygirlpie9
    fairygirlpie9 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I hate my job too which is why I'm currently on MFP browsing the forums. I can't leave because I don't have enough 'experience' to get another job yet as I have been here for less than a year. If I had known what this job actually was like I would have stayed in my retail job and waited it out. I actually think the people are rather nice but the job itself it so unstimulating and basic. I can actually do things at a much faster pace but don't so that I can spend more time shopping online and going on facebook. My manager thinks I'm super efficient but thats because she has no idea how long it actually takes me to do things because she can't do very much.
    The worst thing is sitting next to her as she seems to have a bit of a staring problem and constantly criticises my food choices despite being significantly larger than me. :sad:
  • Tabitha_Faye
    Options
    I, too, despise my job. I've been a CNA at the local hospital for the past three years and I'm already starting to feel burnt out. I come home stressed, upset, angry, and unhappy -- in fact, my husband doesn't like seeing me after I get home. I begin to dread work as soon as I'm off. It's THAT bad. So, because I was majoring in nursing, I have decided to change my major. Nursing is a great job, don't get me wrong, but it takes a special person to be one. Me, I can't handle the stress and the pessimistic atmosphere. I'm also in the process of finding a new job that will work well with my schooling. Luckily, my husband is in the Air Force and I know that I can explore my options, without fearing the lack of income.

All in all, I hope you find the career that will make you happy. Of course, every job has their stressors and the negative factors, but if you can find a job that your enjoy the majority of the time, I say do it. Best of luck to you! :)
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    No, I work for a great company, but I just want to go home now.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Not so much the actual job, but the people I work with I could do without.

If I was able to, I'd leave in a heartbeat, but my salary and benefits are too good.