Hypothyroid

Options
Hi eveyone, any one else out there with hypothryroid and having a hard time losing weight. For the last month I have been walking 2 miles and the recumbent bike for 40 minutes 5 days a week and I have stayed the same weight. I need help

Replies

• logansmummy724
    Options
    I have the same problem

I dont exercise as much as you but even when i did i didnt see a change.

Have them recheck cause maybe your levels are still off and need a diff dose
  • Scarbo1964
    Options
    I was recently told that I have this and put on medication for it. Not sure whether or not it is affecting my weight.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    If your medication levels are correct, you should not have a harder time losing weight than someone without thyroid problems. However, many people with properly medicated hypothyroid still report having problems losing weight.

When you get your thyroid levels checked, ask the doctor's office for a copy of your labs and keep track of your levels for yourself. Some doctors do not treat under-active thyroid aggresively enough. I was undermedicated for years by my former doctor and during that time I could not lose weight - in fact I was gaining a pound a month with calorie counting and exercise.

Also, you state your exercise routine, but are you also tracking your calories? Weight loss is more about diet than exercise.
  • brebre0789
    brebre0789 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've been on both sides of the thyroid issues. I used to have hyperthyroidism and i couldn't gain weight, but went through a radioactive iodine treatment which basically kills the thyroid, resulting in hypothyroidism. I currently take 125 mcg of synthroid a day and the weight is slow to come off, but it does! If you are just starting medications, give it time to work, like 6+ weeks for it to really build up in your body. Also, make sure you have your levels checked every month or so to make sure you are on the correct dosage!
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    If your medication levels are correct, you should not have a harder time losing weight than someone without thyroid problems. However, many people with properly medicated hypothyroid still report having problems losing weight.

When you get your thyroid levels checked, ask the doctor's office for a copy of your labs and keep track of your levels for yourself. Some doctors do not treat under-active thyroid aggresively enough. I was undermedicated for years by my former doctor and during that time I could not lose weight - in fact I was gaining a pound a month with calorie counting and exercise.

Also, you state your exercise routine, but are you also tracking your calories? Weight loss is more about diet than exercise.

^^This! My mom (now in her 60's) has thyroid issues since her 20's and it's a constant rebalancing of meds. But she's successfully lost weight, primarily thru controlling her diet. I would suggest watching your food very closely. Also, I don't have thyroid issues and can do cardio for 3 hrs a day and not lose weight. For me, strength training is key. Give it a try.