No weight loss in a month

Options
Hi everyone. I am 5"4 and 120 lbs. I only lost 2 lbs in 1 month. I am really feeling like I'm about to give up again. I weighed myself today during my second day of TOM but still, that shouldn't matter that much. I eat 1200-1400 calories and exercise off about 200. I am really tired of this, I don't know what else to do.

Replies

• Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    From what it sounds like, 120 pounds at 5'4 is pretty close to an ideal weight for your height. Losing this slowly would indicate (I think) that you are very near where you should be in terms of your weight.
  • pb1717
    pb1717 Posts: 34
    Options
    the thing is i gained 10 lbs and i am working hard to get them off. however, this 2 lbs lost is so discouraging
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    do you weigh the solids that you eat and measure liquids? If not, you may be eating 10-50% more than you think you are.

also where you are only looking at losing 10lbs your weekly weight loss goal should be set to lose no more than 0.5lbs/week.
  • pb1717
    Options
    I don't cook my own food so it's so hard to estimate...maybe my estimations are off?
  • erickirb
    Options
    I don't cook my own food so it's so hard to estimate...maybe my estimations are off?

Most likely this.
  • pb1717
    Options
    what should i do?
  • flutterbye811
    flutterbye811 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Can you start cooking your own food?
  • nancyluckhurst3
    nancyluckhurst3 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    At 5'4" and 120lbs I have one question. What are you doing here? Any less weight and you would be way too thin. It sounds like you perceive yourself as fat which indicates you may have a problem with anorexia. I am 5'5" and when I was 125 at age 30 I looked like crap. Too thin. Perhaps you should speak to a therapist. I am not trying to give you a hard time or insult you. I am concerned that you have some other issues that need to be addressed for your own good. It sounds like your metabolism is slowing to protect your body.

From what it sounds like, 120 pounds at 5'4 is pretty close to an ideal weight for your height. Losing this slowly would indicate (I think) that you are very near where you should be in terms of your weight.
  • kjo9692
    kjo9692 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    If you lost 2 a month and only 10 pounds from goal I think that's ideal. Like the user above said no more than 0.5 a week should be fine. You'll get there! Time will pass and you'll be at your goal in no time.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    what should i do?

When I have to log food that I didn't cook, I usually try my best to overestimate (if anything.) That's just my personal solution, but it is also often possible to track down calories from restaurant foods or ask someone who works in your campus kitchen or whatever your situation is.
    It would also help to start being more responsible for your own meals. Try cooking at least one meal a day, if you aren't already.
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I weigh 5-7 pounds heavier during my period, so it very well COULD be that. I'd re-weigh once it's over. But really I don't see why you need to lose weight . . . 120 is fine for your height.
  • Jgal8123
    Jgal8123 Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary...I would suggest eating more protein and veggies, less carbs/sugar.
  • pb1717
    Options
    I am not underweight and even if I were to lose another 10 lbs I would be at the lower end of the normal BMI. I do find it a bit insulting when you asked me what I am doing here. Sorry but I'm just trying to live a healthier lifestyle and I am not starving myself or anything..
  • pb1717
    Options
    I agree. Thank you so much
  • shazbox1
    shazbox1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    If you only have 10 pounds to lose, 2 pounds per month is fairly decent progress.
  • erickirb
    Options

My ex wife at 5'4" looked fine at 120, and even better at 116. So it depends, and 120 and even 110 at that height is considered healthy, so is 140, it depends a lot on frame size, lean body mass, goal look you want to achieve.
  • Kelly845
    Kelly845 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Been there. Try no to eat exercise calories back and cut on sugar. Good luck
  • sugardetox
    sugardetox Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I would say you'll have to start cooking your own food. The eye scales don't work unfortunately.
  • ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    At 5'4" and 120lbs I have one question. What are you doing here? Any less weight and you would be way too thin. It sounds like you perceive yourself as fat which indicates you may have a problem with anorexia. I am 5'5" and when I was 125 at age 30 I looked like crap. Too thin. Perhaps you should speak to a therapist. I am not trying to give you a hard time or insult you. I am concerned that you have some other issues that need to be addressed for your own good. It sounds like your metabolism is slowing to protect your body.

Not everyone's body looks the same at a certain weight, even if they are the same height. I am 5'3" and 123lbs. I have flab on my stomach and my thighs and butt are jiggly. I would NOT say that I look "too thin" or "like crap". Quit being so judge-y. Unless you know the OP personally, there's no need to think that they are anorexic.
    I am not underweight and even if I were to lose another 10 lbs I would be at the lower end of the normal BMI. I do find it a bit insulting when you asked me what I am doing here. Sorry but I'm just trying to live a healthier lifestyle and I am not starving myself or anything..

OP - I agree with you. As I said above, I have very similar stats to you. At my current weight, I have a BMI of 21.5. I am shooting for around a 20, which would require a goal weight of ~113. (BEFORE ANYONE STARTS JUMPING ON ME - I am not obsessed with the number and would be happiest with muscle tone. I am just referencing BMI here because it is an easy way to "measure", and the OP mentioned it.)

At the risk of you thinking I'm crazy, I think you may benefit from eating MORE calories. (I have not yet looked at your diary. But I will shortly.) I eat 1650-1700 calories per day and am losing about 1/2 pound per week. Have you read into the TDEE/TDEG method at all? Please feel free to message me and I can point you in the direction of a few good threads to read and tools to use.
    If you only have 10 pounds to lose, 2 pounds per month is fairly decent progress.

Agreed. You can't rush it, especially with so little to lose.
  • gotogirl81
    gotogirl81 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    is it the scale your worried about or the way your clothes fit/ the way you look?

do you lift /do strength training?

take these into consideration and see what you look like in a month or 2...