Fellow runners....

Options
Friday I went and bought my next pair of running shoes. I bought Brooks Adrenaline this time. Previously I had 2 pairs of Nike's. I buy them from my running store so they are suited to my running/gait.

Ran in them Sat and Sunday, just shorts like 2.5 mile runs. My muscles in my shins are kinda sore today, Do you think it's changing brands, or the Brooks are wrong, or maybe it was just me this weekend and nothin to do with the shoes. Just kinda wanted some other opinons.

Replies

• indianarunner76
    indianarunner76 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Switching brands take time to get use to. My son tried switching from nike and took awhile to get use too. He ended up staying with nike
  • 3rdwoozie5
    3rdwoozie5 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Each runner has a certain running style, foot strike, and physical abilities that dictates certain types of shoes are better for them than others. Even within the same shoe brand. Some Brooks I cannot wear, but other Brooks I can do 500 miles in. It's critical you get the right FIT for "you". Ignore how 'cute' the shoe may be. If you run regularly, you will need something that will not promote injuries. If it's only been a couple of miles. You might box them back up in the original box and take them back for something that will work,or go get professionally fitted by a running store that knows their business. Another note. Shoes are so well designed now that they should work right out of the box. No break in period. If they hurt now, it will only get worse with miles and shoe wear.
  • sgmomma
    sgmomma Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I have been fitted I've been running for about 3 years now. I got to a actual running store. The shoes were perfectly comfortable during my run, my shins are just a little sore. I wondered if it was from changing brands of shoes.
  • jamaraaron78
    Options
    Could be that your shoes just need to be broken in...
  • sugardetox
    sugardetox Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Could also be that they aren't broke in yet. Try wearing the around the house while you are cleaning and whatnot for a while.
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I have been fitted I've been running for about 3 years now. I got to a actual running store. The shoes were perfectly comfortable during my run, my shins are just a little sore. I wondered if it was from changing brands of shoes.

All I can say is time will tell. I've had issues with Brooks and my calves in the past, but never anything with a shin. But we all are different and if this persists you don't want to be stuck with these. Make sure you know that store's return policy (usually a certain amount of time, but also may have a wear factor) so you don't get stuck with them. I just returned a pair of Saucony Grid's b/c they were a half size too big and I knew it pretty quickly. Fortunately I had only run in them twice and the store exchanged them for the next half size down.
  • cms721
    cms721 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Carson? Where you @?
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I purchased a new pair of shoes a couple weeks ago and experienced soreness as well. I'm going to give them a few more runs before really deciding it's the shoes though...I was apparently running in a shoe that was too small and not the right stability for me, so I'm sure my stride might take a bit to adjust.
  • the_Rooster
    the_Rooster Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone that they may need to be broken into. I just bought a pair of Asics and I love the way they feel but they are a lot heavier than my Nike's were and so I am getting used to that every single run.

Give them a chance.

Did someone help you pick the shoes out? I haven't gone to a running store per se but I did have an employee help me pick out my Asics and he really helped me. He asked me questions, watched me walk in just my socks, watched me jog, asked me about my aches and pains, etc. I tried on at least 9-10 pairs of shoes before we settled on the pair I bought. Like I said, he was a big help! :)
  • Ribena145
    Ribena145 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I agree with 3rdwoozie5....

You might want to try going back to your other shoes though next run and then back to the new shoes...(try that once or twice)...

I found that my new Brooks are different fitting from the last pair I just bought, so it could be a bit of an adjustment. The shoe makers don't make them the same every season, so little tweeks can be noticeable....

Good luck!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    The right shoe will not need to be 'broken in'.

Switching brands can cause problems. Give it a few more runs, if the pain persists or gets worse, return the shoes.