Upper Body Workouts?

Options
Sometimes you have those days where your legs feel tight & sore from strength training/cardio. What would you reccamend for exercises without using your legs? I know this sounds kinda funny, but I am curious. :smile:

Replies

• Stephomie
    Stephomie Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Upper body/core workouts are a great way to mix things up. You can do something like yoga to get in a good stretch, or do upper body resistance work. It's VERY important to do strength training - muscle burns fat! If you don't have access to a gym, you can do a lot with just body-weight workouts - push-ups, planks, side planks, chair dips. If you have weights or access to a gym, any free weight workout (machines are OK, but it takes more co-contraction of muscles when you use free weights) that includes upper back, shoulders, biceps curls, triceps extensions, chest press, etc is a great supplement to cardio workouts. If you belong to a gym, ask one of the staff members for some tips. Hope that helps - good luck!

Stephanie
  • winw
    winw Posts: 15
    Options
    You should try lifting weights - most women should do some lifting. Start with small weights (3 pounds, maybe) and work up to heavier ones. Lifting will strengthen your arms and back and increase you metabolism to burn more calories. It will also help keep your bones strong (weight bearing exercise). Don't worry about bulking up. Women only do that when they work very HARD to do so. Instead we strengthen and tone. There are lots of books and videos out there, and probably some on-line sources.

An easy alternative is a resistance band. There are several styles, but they give you the resistance of lifting and you are using your own body weight as the weight. You can get good results either way. Give it a try. Good luck.
  • npryor100
    npryor100 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Try a kickboxing video! All those punches are great cardo.
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Here's what I did today for upper body (in no particular order) I always start an upper body day with a warm up (10-15 minutes on the tread or eliptical)

UPPER BODY

Tricep Press
    Back Extension
    Dips
    Standing Biceps Curl, Dumbell
    Front Chin Up, Reverse Close-Grip
    Bench Press, Barbell
    Front Raises, Straight Arm
    Upright Row
    Lateral Raise, Dumbbell, Side
    Pec Fly
    Delt Raise

ABS

Plank
    Side Plank
    Hello Darlin's
    Dead Bugs
    Bridges
    Exercise ball Bridge and Tuck
    Exercise Ball Crunches

CARDIO (30 minute minimum)

I know it sounds pretty hard core but I'm determined to have AMAZING muscle definition.

:drinker:
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    Try a kickboxing video! All those punches are great cardo.

Kickboxing requires a lot of leg work... She wants upper body only. I agree with most so far. Push-ups/Plank/Shoulder presses/Deadlifts/Pull-ups or inverted rows/Tri-cep dips.

And it requires a lot more than a lot of hard work to bulk up it requires a calorie surplus and a hell of a lot of lifting. Do NOT start with 3lbs unless you're a frail old woman. Lift a weight that you can only lift for 8-10 reps. Look at a book called New Rules of Lifting For Women. It destroys all the myths that people grow up believing about if you lift heavy weights you'll bulk up and things like that. I've heard a lot of good things about it there's one for men too which I think I'm going to look into.