Does this sound right??

Options
I calculated TDEE etc and according to calculations I should be consuming around 1900 a day my MFP has me consuming 1200.
Would this not mean an increase in weight rather than weight loss?

Replies

• ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Did your TDEE include exercise or did you set it to Sedentary?

If it's set to sedentary for the calculation, you found your calories for maintenance.

1900 is probably close to what MFP has calculated for your maintenance as well. So if you set your goals to lose 2lbs per week, it's going to set your calories to 1200 because that is the lowest safe amount of calories for a woman to consume.

You should probably set your goal for 1lb per week:

1900-500= 1400 calories per day + exercise calories.

If you want to do the TDEE method, then you need to subtract 20% (if you have more than 20lbs to lose) or 15% (if you have less than 15lbs to lose) from your TDEE. In this instance you would eat the same amount of calories everyday and not eat back exercise calories as they are already included in the original calculation.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Did your TDEE include exercise or did you set it to Sedentary?

If it's set to sedentary for the calculation, you found your calories for maintenance.

1900 is probably close to what MFP has calculated for your maintenance as well. So if you set your goals to lose 2lbs per week, it's going to set your calories to 1200 because that is the lowest safe amount of calories for a woman to consume.

You should probably set your goal for 1lb per week:

1900-500= 1400 calories per day + exercise calories.

If you want to do the TDEE method, then you need to subtract 20% (if you have more than 20lbs to lose) or 15% (if you have less than 15lbs to lose) from your TDEE. In this instance you would eat the same amount of calories everyday and not eat back exercise calories as they are already included in the original calculation.

This!^

MFP is just a different method than TDEE less a %. Also, 1200 comes from "I want to lose XX pounds per week".....it's not really a recommendation either way...it's just MFP's default lowest possible value.

MFP does not include exercise up front.......TDEE should include exercise up front
  • clairekyty
    clairekyty Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Okay thanks for quick reply's that's great ;)