Belly Fat

Options
I am 5' 3" and 112 lbs. I exercise regularly (including ab workouts) but my stomach sticks out. The small of my waist is 28.5", hips 33", but my mid-section is 32". Is there anyway to get rid of this? Serious replies only, please. I don't need sarcasm, jokes and unhelpful advice (as I've seen with other posts).

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    All you can do is reduce BF%. There is no such thing as spot reduction, so those ab workouts aren't really doing what you're hoping they are.

Eat at a small deficit + Work (cardio mixed with Compound Strength Training) + patience = results.

You can get there with 1 and 3 but would most likely be more pleased if you incorporate all 3 parts.

You'll notice many on here with flat/nice midsections do very little to no isolated ab exercises. Look into stronlifts, New Rules, etc.. to get your lifting/strength program.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    All you can do is reduce BF%. There is no such thing as spot reduction, so those ab workouts aren't really doing what you're hoping they are.

Eat at a small deficit + Work (cardio mixed with Compound Strength Training) + patience = results.

You can get there with 1 and 3 but would most likely be more pleased if you incorporate all 3 parts.

You'll notice many on here with flat/nice midsections do very little to no isolated ab exercises. Look into stronlifts, New Rules, etc.. to get your lifting/strength program.

^THIS
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Is it fat, or is it sticking out? Have you had a child?
  • JoannaEngel84
    JoannaEngel84 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Could it be more of a bloat than belly fat? Allergies to some foods can cause belly bloat.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    After my third kid, I had a "muffin top" that wouldn't quit. I did sit ups several times a day, lost a lot of body weight, etc. I noticed that I was not able to do sit ups and crunches exactly like I was supposed to. I wanted to but I just couldn't engage my core the way I was supposed to. My healthcare provider was no help and basically called me lazy (I now have a new healthcare provider!!) About four years ago, on the advice of a friend, I went to a plastic surgeon who showed me why I couldn't lose the muffin top. My abdominal muscles were stretched out and separated down the middle. That's why I couldn't do crunches/sit-ups correctly. He repaired the muscles and "shortened" them. Best of all, he explained that no exercise or diet would get rid of the extra belly because once the muscles are stretched out and moved around the only cure is surgery. I know this is kind of radical and may not be the answer you were looking for.

I don't know if you've had children (especially large babies, my biggest was 10 lbs - the bigger the baby the more likely this will happen) or have lost a large amount of weight (he explained that large amounts of body fat will do the same thing to the muscles) but if so, this may be the problem.

Good luck!
  • FitnSassy
    FitnSassy Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I'm much older than you, but I recently learned that I have a fibroid about the size of a grapefruit, which shows like a 3-month pregnancy. Needless to say, I'm having that thing removed very soon! I do not need any extra belly!
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    My stomach is naturally convex. Even if I lost all my belly fat, my stomach would still stick out a little and it looks like I am 1-3 months pregnant.
  • GeminiBridget
    GeminiBridget Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 3" and 112 lbs. I exercise regularly (including ab workouts) but my stomach sticks out. The small of my waist is 28.5", hips 33", but my mid-section is 32". Is there anyway to get rid of this? Serious replies only, please. I don't need sarcasm, jokes and unhelpful advice (as I've seen with other posts).

If you've ever heard "Abs are made in the kitchen' it's true. Cut down on carbs, eat more veggies, fruits, proteins, lower your fat intake, and eat healthy fats in moderation. Also, you can try taking GNC's Total Lean CLA, it helps, in conjunction with healthy eating and exercise, to target belly fat.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Do you have loose skin there? I'm not much smaller in weight or waist size than you but my tummy still sticks out :( I bloat easily but I also have a lot of loose skin from 5 big babies. I'm trying to eat around maintenance and weight train (you can't build much muscle to hold everything up in a deficit) and I think it's improving my tum but painfully slowly.
  • Polarpaly05
    Polarpaly05 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Also, you can try taking GNC's Total Lean CLA, it helps, in conjunction with healthy eating and exercise, to target belly fat.

Short of liposuction, there is nothing that targets body fat in specific body areas.

Please don't spend $40 on a gimmick.
  • Mom_of_X
    Mom_of_X Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    your diary isn't public, so it's a shot in the dark, but sometimes that "pooch" is contributed to by an excess of carbs, dairy, sodium, or some other personally reactive food. for example, i LOVE soft, doughy, dense bread - but my body tells me immediately when i've overdone it, with that little belly roll that interferes with all my pants... if you find that you eat a LOT of one particular food group, consider a mini-elimination diet. it's amazing what people have found they have an 'intolerance' for; i.e., a allergic-like reaction causing bloating, weight gain, discomfort, acne, etc.

good luck!!
  • Tyggress73
    Tyggress73 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen.

Seriously....if nothing else is working and you're at a healthy lean weight otherwise, it's time to tweak your diet. :)
  • Polarpaly05
    Polarpaly05 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Every time I hear "abs are made in the kitchen."

imagefromurl.jpeg
  • GeminiBridget
    Options
    Also, you can try taking GNC's Total Lean CLA, it helps, in conjunction with healthy eating and exercise, to target belly fat.

Short of liposuction, there is nothing that targets body fat in specific body areas.

Please don't spend $40 on a gimmick.

Who spent $40? Check your local Sam's, I paid half that. ;) Gimmick? My pic shows it's no gimmick. Of course a supplement won't work if you're still gobbling down large amounts of fatty processed foods. I did say in conjunction with proper diet and exercise. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mike8.htm
  • GeminiBridget
    Options
    Every time I hear "abs are made in the kitchen."

imagefromurl.jpeg

From the looks of the flab you have, you need to stay out of the kitchen and hit the gym a little more. ;)
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it's not a postural issue like excessive anterior pelvic tilt?