Hello. Need exercise tips.

Options
Its my 3rd day of exercise and diet. I am trying to lose 40-50lbs. Prior to this I was very inactive and ate late in the day and snacked all night. Now I am eating 4-5 times a day and eating healthier. The hard part is the exercise. I am a stay at home mom with two toddlers. I've been doing dance aerobics and yoga for beginners at home. Today my legs are really sore and my left knee hurts :frown: . What can I do to exercise through the soreness and knee pain. Also what vitamins should I be taking? Thank you in advance. P.S. I could use some friends so please add me.:flowerforyou: :heart:

Replies

• Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Are you stretching? It might seem silly to some people if you aren't doing super strenuous exercise, but it can make a big difference in how your muscles feel afterwards. I would stretch before and after every work out as a preventative measure. The leg soreness just means that you've kicked your muscle's butt, though. Working through the pain is probably the best thing you can do right now. It might suck for a few days but it will start to get better, and you'll feel great.

PS - Ask your doctor about vitamins, but start with a general multivitamin. Personally I take a multi and some vitamin D, which was recommended to me following a blood test. A lot of vitamins tend to just make for expensive pee, though :P
  • melissaklotz
    Options
    One idea is to search for "body weight exercises." These are exercises you can do anywhere, without needing any special equipment. Here's a good starter: http://greatist.com/fitness/50-bodyweight-exercises-you-can-do-anywhere

The most important thing is to be patient. Don't beat yourself up if you make a mistake. Just keep trying. To lose the amount of weight you want to lose, you will be changing your relationships with food an exercise. It will take time, determination, and consistency. Think about the unhealthy habits you have and how long you've been practicing them. It will not change overnight!

Another tip - don't put too much faith in the number you see on the scale. As you start losing fat, you will start gaining muscle. Two people can weigh exactly the same, but the person with more muscle is going to look "thinner" and more in shape.

A great motivator is Instagram, if you're following the right people. I'm not very active socially on MyFitnessPal, but I use Instagram a lot. My account is www.instagram.com/melissaklotz I would also suggest you follow http://instagram.com/estellearcher - she doesn't weigh herself anymore, but she's dropped a LOT of weight and is a big inspiration. Also http://instagram.com/fitfoodiele - she's got a toddler and another baby on the way, posts recipes and videos of her workouts, with guest appearances of her little boy :)

ALSO VERY IMPORTANT: You will notice a huge difference by changing your eating habits alone. Losing weight is 80% diet and 20% exercise. (You can google that statement -- you'll see a ton of research to back it up!). So even if you just don't feel like working out some days, that's okay -- strive to eat whole foods (vegetables, lean protein like chicken and fish, complex carbs like sweet potatoes, brown rice, quinoa) and healthy fats in moderation (olive oil, coconut oil, nuts, avocado), limit refined sugar and white flour.

Good luck and feel free to message me if you have more specific questions!!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Its my 3rd day of exercise and diet. I am trying to lose 40-50lbs. Prior to this I was very inactive and ate late in the day and snacked all night. Now I am eating 4-5 times a day and eating healthier. The hard part is the exercise. I am a stay at home mom with two toddlers. I've been doing dance aerobics and yoga for beginners at home. Today my legs are really sore and my left knee hurts :frown: . What can I do to exercise through the soreness and knee pain. Also what vitamins should I be taking? Thank you in advance. P.S. I could use some friends so please add me.:flowerforyou: :heart:

Re: knee pain. Is your dance aerobics high impact, or have twisty type moves?

If it's high impact (both feet off the floor at times)......swap out some low impact days with some high impact days for awhile. After losing some weight (or healing) you might be able to add more high impact back days.. I'm over 50.....and figured out no high impact for me....you may be different. "Walking" type workouts are low impact.

If it's a DVD you're doing.....this site can help you figure out impact level.

http://www.collagevideo.com/exercise-videos/dance-exercise-videos-57

If it's twisting type moves.....make sure you are not working out on carpet. It's really easy to tweak your knees on a carpeted floor. It could be a slight strain....pain will go away in a few days. Buy a puzzle mat if you need to....these can also lessen the impact level if you're are jumping on a cement floor (for example).

Squats......these help strengthen the muscles in your legs (support knees)......however, good form is really important. If using a video with lots of squats....you might slow the pace down until you are sure of proper form.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Are you stretching? It might seem silly to some people if you aren't doing super strenuous exercise, but it can make a big difference in how your muscles feel afterwards. I would stretch before and after every work out as a preventative measure. The leg soreness just means that you've kicked your muscle's butt, though. Working through the pain is probably the best thing you can do right now. It might suck for a few days but it will start to get better, and you'll feel great.

PS - Ask your doctor about vitamins, but start with a general multivitamin. Personally I take a multi and some vitamin D, which was recommended to me following a blood test. A lot of vitamins tend to just make for expensive pee, though :P

Stretching is great........but do not stretch BEFORE your muscles are warmed up....stretch after a warm-up ....or at the end of your workouts.
  • kjimale
    Options
    Thanks for the tip. I appreciate it so much! :smile:
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    HIyah,
    This was me last year. I started with the 30 day shred and I thought I had serious problems with my right knee it just turns out they were not used to exercise of any sort. My whole body used to ache each day and I then got used to it. See how you feel and if you think it is something serious check it out with the doctor. Make sure you do a warm up before u start and a cool down after each session. good luck.
  • kjimale
    Options
    I am stretching before and after workouts. I will be seeing my doctor soon and will ask about vitamins. Thank you for the add and tips. :smile: I will be getting a mat to exercise on as well. I was working out bare foot on my rug. I will check out the websites and instagram as well. You all are so generous for your advice and feedback. So happy to find this website!