Taking photos of deceased in casket: Fine or WTF

Options
2»

Replies

• Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    This is one of those things that is personal and it really doesnt matter what anyone else's opinion is.
    I am sorry for your loss
  • Iwantchange_22
    Iwantchange_22 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i think its fine. I wouldnt show them to people other than family.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Very sorry for your loss OP.

I don't need a photo, I still remember how my mother looked in her casket and that was almost 51 years ago. I was next to my brother when he took his last breath almost 3 years ago, and I remember how he looked wrapped in a body bag on the way to the funeral home and when I saw his for the last time before cremation. I wish I could take those images out of my mind.

My father was still alive the last time that I saw him and my last memory of him is of his blue eyes, still powerful at 81 years old. That is a memory that I want to keep forever. But we all grieve in different ways so we shouldn’t judge or criticize.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I have found that death rituals vary widely from one region to another. In the south, and especially in old-school Protestant church communities, open-casket visitations (or "wakes," as some people call them) and funeral ceremonies are traditional, but I cannot ever recall seeing a photo of a body in a casket. I personally don't believe in open caskets, tradition be-damned.

Edited to remove a comment that I realize could be viewed as insensitive. Again, this is a very personal decision. If I were you and my dad had expressed his desire to me to have a picture taken of him in his casket, then I would do it. Otherwise, no.
  • SnugglePuggles
    Options
    As an adult, I have been to my sister's funeral (she was 37), my sisterin-law's funeral (she was 42), my mother-in-law's funeral, both my grandmothers, my best friend's son (he was 8) and another friend's husband (he was 32). Took pics at every single one. Maybe it's because the way we do funerals - a celebration of life. Took pics of the people, the flowers, the church, the reception, the dead people. Some people thought it was weird, but everyone I know cherished those photos. In fact, my friend - whose son died - hired a photographer to be at the funeral.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    100 years ago or more, people would do this, family photos or just the dead alone pictures were done quite often. They would look alive but were actually dead, especially with infants/children.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    WTF

Is this in response to the OP in general or a response to taking photos of the deceased in the casket?
  • MusicInMyHeart
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss, OP. Your family is in my prayers.

I guess people grieve in different ways...? Me, personally? I couldn't do that. But I do know that roughly 100 years ago it was the a normal thing. They would prop up their family members and take pictures.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    People have a variety of reactions to grief, and it's best to let people grieve in their own way without being judgmental.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    This breaks my heart. The loss that you and your mother must be feeling right now. I've never done this, but I would have done it for my mother if she had asked me to. I would send it to her and delete it because I wouldn't be able to carry around a picture of my deceased father. It would hurt too badly. But I wouldn't find it creepy. It is a loved one.

People don't act rationally in grief.

I'm very sorry for your loss.
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    WTF

Is this in response to the OP in general or a response to taking photos of the deceased in the casket?

In response to the question in the title.
  • cheekymcgee
    Options
    It's not something I would do, but I wouldn't judge anyone for doing it. My nephew is in middle school and a poor little guy that he went to school with committed suicide. A cousin of his took a picture of him in his open casket and posted it on facebook....that's too much IMO. If you need to take the picture, do so for yourself, but it shouldn't be shared....particularly on a social networking site.
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I'd say fine, if that's what someone wants, but for me no. My mom passed away 16 years ago when I was 31. And I remember leaving the funural wishing I wouldn't have looked at her in the casket. Her spirit was gone, there wasn't anything there in her face, it wasn't her any more was what I left thinking. I can't imagine having a picture of that to refer to. I'd much rather see pictures of when she was full of life, when she was my mom.....wow I'm tearing up as I write this.
  • ball_FXDWG
    ball_FXDWG Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    It seems to be tradition in a lot of families and cultures. I find it a bit odd but it doesn't bother me.
  • tnpxx
    tnpxx Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I think it's kind of creepy. I'd rather remember someone alive and happy not dead and stiff. My grandmother on the other hand has an obsession with dead people. She has an entire photo album that I've found of nothing but corpses in caskets. Some were people she knew but some were people she didn't even know.