Eating Main Meal at Lunch

Options
I've heard eating your main meal which has carbs in is better to eat at lunchtime, has anyone heard of this and has it helped their weight loss?

Would love new fitness pals for motivation and sharing tips, have 40pounds to lose and on Day 3!!

Replies

• rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I understand. Unfortunately, you're probably gonna hear 1,000 different opinions here. Some people have facts to back their info up, and some people just tell you what they have heard or read without knowing for sure what they are talking about.

I know from tried and done experience, that I lost 30lbs in 3 months by eating 1200 calories a day and walking 5 days a week for 30min. I also allowed myself a little junk food every day, so that I wouldn't go off the deep end and do an all out binge. Trust me, I can really chow down on some food.

It did not matter one iota when I ate, it just mattered how much I ate. Quite often, I did not eat dinner until after 9pm.
    A lot of those crazy myths have been busted.

Find out what your calorie range should be due to your height weight, activity level, age, etc., and go from there, if you haven't already done that.

Best of luck to you!
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Much same as above ^^^^^

Time of eating is a myth
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Eating timing doesn't matter. Eating carbs at dinner doesn't matter. What matters is an overall calorie deficit.

So just do what works best for you.
  • PositiveAngel
    Options
    Thanks, reading your message had a gut feeling, I totally agree and if I do allow myself a 'treat' it'll give me something to look forward too. Ate my main meal at lunch and then a lighter meal tonight was that hungry afterwards once my fiancé went to bed I had a bit of a binge so I don't think it'll work for me!

What kind of foods did you eat to lose 3 stone in 3 months? I have around 4 stones to lose and finding it real hard tried everything!
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    what is a stone? Is that what pounds mean in another country or something?
  • stephaniecaine82
    stephaniecaine82 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    This is kind of a nice post. I like to hear it doesn't matter what time of day, just eat at your calorie level. Normally my lunch now a days is the biggest meal anyway....
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    what is a stone? Is that what pounds mean in another country or something?

1 stone = 14 lbs - it's still often used in the UK.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    eat whatever works for you personally - if you want your big meal at lunch do that just fit it into your cals
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Your body utilizes XXXX calories per day...it doesn't matter when you take those calories in...if you eat those XXXX calories per day that your body requires you will maintain your weight...if you eat less then your body has to dip into energy stores (fat) to make up the difference...if you eat more then your body stores that surplus of energy and or builds muscle with the proper training regimen.

Meal timing and what that meal consists of is pretty much irrelevant so long as you're hitting your calorie goals and you have reasonable macro targets for proper nutrition and are hitting those for the most part.

Edit: to say that my biggest meal is generally dinner and it includes carbs and I usually eat around 8:30 PM and then hit the rack at 9:30/10 or so...I pretty easily lost 40 Lbs doing this and I've been maintaining for 9 months doing this.
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I recently learned that it does not matter what time you eat that big meal, some do like to break their meals down into 5 or 6 mini meals so they never feel hungry and don't binge some like to have it at night so they don't snack.

So my advice to you is listen to your body it will tell you... if the big meal at lunch works great! If you find yourself starving at night, going to bed hungry then it may be saying have that big meal for dinner/supper.

Good Luck and Welcome...I personally find tracking my food helps a LOT!

Cheri