Protein powder help

Options
So my macros always seem to be seriously lacking in protein. I was thinking of trying some protein powder, but I honestly have no idea where to start! Should I get some from Trader Joe's? I'd prefer something that isn't too chalky, and I HATE the taste of fake sugar. I don't know if they use Splenda or anything like that, but I thought I'd mention that.

I'm a big coffee drinker, I usually drink it black, over ice. Some people mentioned throwing a scoop of protein powder in their coffee, and I was wondering if that works with just straight coffee. Or should I not mess with my beloved coffee and just make a second drink in the morning?

Also, I've noticed there are different kinds of protein powder, like whey, casein, etc. What's the difference?

A little bit about me: I'm still at the beginning of getting back into shape, but I try to get a little workout in the morning 6x week. Three of those are C25K, and the other three are usually a video from FitnessBlender with my homemade kettlebells. The rest of the day I'm usually pretty sedentary, since I have to spend a ton of time in the car for work.

I apologize if these are dumb questions, or if they'd been asked before. I'm just wondering what everyone's favorites are.

Thanks!

Replies

• helen8328
    helen8328 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Caesin and whey are both milk proteins so should be avoided by people who have dairy intolerances, same for the soya ones as soya allergies are also quite common. The other one I know of is hemp protein, which seems to be the easiest digested. I think as long as you have no allergies it doesn't really matter which one you choose, although the more expensive ones will have added extras to aid recovery.

I like to drink mine with smoothies which is really delicious. Also if you put just a protein shake in a blender it mixes better and doesn't end up chalky. You can also use protein powder instead of flour for things such as pancakes or cookies, there's loads of recipes on the internet for them.
  • ME0172
    ME0172 Posts: 200
    Options
  • DoctahJenn
    DoctahJenn Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I hope you don't mind me asking a question in your thread, but I was noticing some are flavored - do they work well enough to maybe be a substitute for creamer in coffee?
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I don't drink coffee so I cannot comment on how well they do as creamer. Most often I mix the flavored ones with fat-free plain greek yogurt, and then add some fruit.

When I asked my dr about which kind, her recommendation was whey or pea protein. Most of the powders I've tried have been whey.
  • melissamarah
    melissamarah Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas!

I think I'll walk down to the grocery store and try and get small amounts of a few types.

And please, ask away! I'm all for more protein powder info!
  • kayla1025
    kayla1025 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    mmmm coffee mixed with chocolate protein powder ;) yummy!!! I use Cellucor Molten Chocoalte, blend it in the blender with 2tbsp foldgers instant coffee, 1 cup almost milk, and add a little water and ice..... its like a mocha frappachino kinda thing yum!!!
    I also have added vanilla...I think body fortress... whatever the brand at walmart is... as a 'creamer' into my coffee... although kind of lumpy but still tastes good.