Anyone on South Beach Diet?

Options
Hello, I started MFP a few days ago just counting calories and have now decided to start phase 1 of the south beach diet. So far so good -- just wanted to know if anyone can share any advice or experience they have had with the diet.

Thanks

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    ...before jumping in, why not just stick with MFP for a little while longer...? Nothing inherently wrong with the diet, but counting calories will work allllll by itself.
  • 08lulu1129
    08lulu1129 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    why not do both? My understanding is that you don't need to count calories on SBD but I prefer to know the calories going in so I plan to continue tracking my meals.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    why not do both? My understanding is that you don't need to count calories on SBD but I prefer to know the calories going in so I plan to continue tracking my meals.
    because weight loss is creating an energy deficit. If you're counting calories, and you maintain at your goal.. You'll lose weight. You don't have to buy into any program to do that.

don't overcomplicate it.
  • kbolton322
    kbolton322 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    So I have done the South Beach Diet... Let me tell you... If SUCKS!!! I had no energy was feeling sick all the time and was very B!TCHY... I'm a carb lover.. My husband told me if I didn't start eating my carbs again that he was going to stay somewhere else..
    I much rather eat what I want and be happy and full of energy then to be like that again... but give it a try if you think its for you.. this is just how I was on it..
  • QueenofGuac
    QueenofGuac Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I eat low carb and I'm really happy with it! I do eat a high fat diet, which is why I think I'm so happy with it! But you can do it! Good luck!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    because weight loss is creating an energy deficit. If you're counting calories, and you maintain at your goal.. You'll lose weight. You don't have to buy into any program to do that.

don't overcomplicate it.
    +1
  • QueensGirl83
    QueensGirl83 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm not on the actual South Beach Diet, but I do buy their snacks and I think they are awesome and a great alternative for when I have a sweet tooth!
  • From what I understand, the SBD is good for people with insulin-related issues to keep their metabolism working while losing weight. People with these issues can't just eat a calorie deficit like the majority of MFP users otherwise their metabolism slows to the point where they don't lose any weight or even gain it.
    If your family has a history of diabetes or if you have trouble with your metabolism or with maintaining blood sugar, the SBD could be what works for you. But for most people it's not necessary.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Nope!!!! MFP is all I needed!! See ticker below!! :bigsmile:
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I've tried just about every diet on the planet, and I personally think that low carb, high protein is best. But it's so hard to stick to, especially if you love carbs and like to have snacks! I kept failing at trying to keep an actual healthy diet or one that's carb restrictive, so, I decided to just count calories, and signed up for MFP. I've been on it about a week and a half now and haven't lost any weight but am learning a lot, or more like becoming more aware of myself. I'm definitely eating fewer calories now, and getting more fresh fruits and vegetables every day. But I still eat too much processed food because I'm lazy about cooking and cleaning, hence why my carbs are up and my protein is down. But today is turning out not too bad so far. I've had almost enough protein and still under my carb limit. But I'm sure I'll have more carbs before I go to bed! Lol! But anyway, for now I'm just trying to keep an eye on those calories and slowly transition into lower carb, higher protein. But for now I'm just trying to do what I can realistically stick to.
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I've done SBD after my dr.s suggestion after my first daughter when I had gestational diabetes. It helped me with better eating habits going to whole wheat and moderation of sweets but untimately i didn't stay on it. I did learn to hate milk chocolate and learned to love dark chocolate. I do attribute not being able to tolerate much sweets to this which has helped.

I love carbs and I've learned to have them in moderation

I now use just MFP and eat mostly within my calories and eat a balance of carbs, fats, and protein and can still eat what I want.
  • EveyRose
    EveyRose Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I did SBD in 2007 and dropped 20 lbs that I have kept off since then...I have been on MFP for quite a while and have been very lazy about making good food choices and getting myself to exercise so I'm looking at trying the phase one of SBD to get my weight lose jumpstarted and hopefully can stick to something similar to it from here on out, was recently diagnosed as sensitive to gluten so I'm supposed to be on a Paleo diet but I don't want to give up my beer and I'm a total sugar addict...the SBD seriously helped me beat the sugar cravings until I started adding it back into my morning coffee (only or so the lie I told myself went) and then it crept back into all kinds of other places...if you are interested in adding me as a friend feel free to do so
  • c2111
    c2111 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Hi I did south beach (SBD) in Oct 2012 I hit my goal weight in DEC 12 I LST 14 kg then maintained until Xmas 2013 and have regained 3 kg my fault I left maintenance mode lol anyway I'm back on phase 1, love SBD works for me I feel great on it stacks of energy and I eat a lot of great natural healthy food :-)

feel free to add me , bring ya swimmers I'll be on the beach :laugh: