QUESTION FOR LIFTERS!!

Options
Hi there. Did you lose the weight before you started lifting, or did you just start lifting during your "overweight/fat" phase? Or in other words, am I supposed to hit my goal weight first and then start lifting weights? I know I kinda feel stupid asking this question... but i keep telling myself, get to your goal weight first and then start lifting to tone, because i don't want to tone at a big size if that makes sense?

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    start now.

why do things the hard way when you can kill 2 birds with one stone now?
  • rhileyschubbygranny
    Options
    I am doing it now at the beginning of my journey so that I am more toned and stong looking as I lose my fat.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Do it now! It helps you to retain your lean body mass (i.e muscle) so you'll be "toned" when you hit goal. Don't worry, if you are eating at a deficit, you won't get bulky!
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I started lifting weights regularly about 10 pounds from goal, and stopped losing weight for almost 5 months.

I probably ate more without thinking about it, as I put on some muscle mass in the process. It was a little depressing but I did get stronger and slowly, leaner.

From what I've learned from body builders, they eat above maintenance in order to put on muscle (bulk). They lift weights on a calorie deficit (cut) to keep as much muscle as they can while the body sheds fat. They do lose a little muscle in the process. Newbie lifters can put on some strength on a deficit. Average people losing weight should lift weights in order to minimize muscle loss and "skinny fat" results.
  • carriebailey72
    carriebailey72 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I started lifting weights from the start. It helped me drop pant sizes faster.
  • freddi11e
    freddi11e Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Thanks.. I just bought a 20 lbs. Barbell last night... do you think that's too little to make a difference?
  • swimlife4
    Options
    Hi! Lift weights and do cardio at the same time. Cardio is the way to slim down and get your heart pumping and to feel great (swimming, running, cycling, walking, circuit training, workout DVDs, etc.) and lifting weights encourages and boosts weight loss, while creating defined, toned muscles and burning fat while at rest (the afterburn effect). Do both for good results!
  • JoJo__Fit
    JoJo__Fit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Oh I lifted all through my weight lost process! I didn't pay no mind that much to the scale because, it can play with your head. But I noticed a change in the way my clothes fit me :) Start now don't wait!
  • Slamdunkpro
    Slamdunkpro Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    My favorite quote from MFP - Weight loss makes you look better with your clothes on - weight lifting makes you look better with your clothes off!
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I started once I'd lost a fair bit of weight, I felt self concious to be honest. I have only started to do it properly very recently as well, wish I had done it earlier.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that you don't link lifting weights, or any form of exercise, to your weight loss. Think of exercise as a way of improving strength, cardio fitness, and metabolic fitness. Exercise can be done before, during or after losing weight...but sooner is better.

The key to losing weight is your diet.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Thanks.. I just bought a 20 lbs. Barbell last night... do you think that's too little to make a difference?

Assuming you have weights to go on it too, it should be fine! If you do a "heavy lifting" program like Strong Lifts, Starting Strength or NROLFW then you might need to upgrade to an olympic bar (45 lbs) at some point, as you'll be shifting a lot of weight. But that should get you started. Do you have a bench and a stand of some sort? If not, you might want those to be your next acquisitions.

Good luck!
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options

Is it a standard bar that you can get plates for? If so, that should be fine. It will take a while to grow out of it and you will have to get an Oly bar. I use standard because it is cheaper. I am not too sure what the max weight load is for my bar, but I think a lot of standard bars can be weighted up to 180 or 200. And depending on how strong you are, a standard bar might be a better starting point since you might not be comfortable with the weight of the Oly bar for some exercises.

And I started lifting a few weeks ago. I have a lot of weight to lose (have lost about 30 pounds with diet and cardio). I am inspired by all the success stories of chubby girls who lifted, ate a lot (including cookies and ice cream), and got strong and sexy.