Healthy hot dogs to buy?

Options
So I'm really craving a hot dog but I know how bad they are for you. Is there any healthy hot dog brand out there? Please let me know?

Replies

• kstand0053
    kstand0053 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I get the Ballpark LEAN franks. Only 5 grams of fat for one, and then pair it with a 100% whole grain bun (I prefer Kroger Brand, but any is good)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Depends on your definition of healthy. For me an organic hotdog will be healthier than a low fat hotdog filled with nitrates. Personally, I stick to Applegate Farms or Trader Joe's, and often have the turkey hot dogs.

Which reminds me I haven't had any in a while. Hmmm.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    No food is "bad" for you, unless you have allergies or possibly blood pressure problems and need to avoid sodium. You can eat anything you want in moderation.

Have a hot dog or two. Make them fit into your goals, enjoy them and don't worry about it.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I got the Simply Balanced chicken hot dogs at Target. 70 calories, 3 grams of fat and 11 grams of protein is pretty decent, I think, and they taste good. They're not rubbery, and they're nitrate free, if you're worried about that kinda thing. Why are hot dogs "bad" for you?

ETA I only eat fish and fowl, otherwise I'd be eating a Hebrew National. :smile:
  • sed55
    sed55 Posts: 3
    Options
    There's no such thing!
  • BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Ballpark turkey franks. Only 45 cals each and they don't taste half bad either.
  • tlcarolinagirl
    tlcarolinagirl Posts: 1,700 Member
    Options
    Ballpark turkey franks. Only 45 cals each and they don't taste half bad either.

This is what I use when I have a hot dog craving.
  • DannPM31
    Options
    There's no such thing!

Bingo
  • jorasims
    jorasims Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    It is SO tough to find a healthy hotdog. You have to weigh your options. When we eat them we do Hebrew National 97% fat free...45 calories a piece and pretty good!
  • toadg53
    toadg53 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Just for the heck of it, I googled healthy hot dog. AND the two mentioned ARE the best you can get. The Applegate was the best all beef hot dog. and the Ballpark fat-free lean dog was the best low fat dog. Good call, gals!! The best bun was Ezekiel and the worst bun was Sara Lee. I always buy Ezekiel bread, but have never been able to find the buns, either hot dog or hamburger.
  • RatherBeOutside
    RatherBeOutside Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    HEBREW NATIONALS ARE THE BEST HOTDOGS.. NON-FAT, REDUCED FAT, FULL FAT, FULL FLAVOR, GOOD QUALITY BEEF OF THE COW IS USED. THEY ARE KOSHER TOO., BLESSED! THE NON-FAT I EAT TWO AT A TIME AND IT ACTUALLY IS VERY FILLING. HMMM i NEED TO GO BUY SOME AGAIN.. WHEN ON SALE THEY ARE TWO FOR ONE! :flowerforyou:
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    I remember seeing part of a tooth in a hot dog from a street vendor in Mexico City.....that I would considered bad, otherwise they taste like another one.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Key points I would look for are lean, low sodium and natural if at all possible. You want a limited ingredients list (just meat), less sodium than the other brands next to it, and close to a 1:1 fat:protein ratio, since I believe most hot dogs are more fat than protein. Turkey may help you pick something leaner. I don't actually think such a hot dog would be a bad choice! If it exists...
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    It is SO tough to find a healthy hotdog. You have to weigh your options. When we eat them we do Hebrew National 97% fat free...45 calories a piece and pretty good!

Never really thought about hot dogs since I started but these sound good :)

Now I want a hot dog :(
  • nancyluckhurst3
    nancyluckhurst3 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Sabretts if you are where you can get them. Most Walmart's carry them now or Hebrew National. These are a ll beef and Kosher.
    So I'm really craving a hot dog but I know how bad they are for you. Is there any healthy hot dog brand out there? Please let me know?
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I would probably either choose an all beef recognized brand or I would look for an organic hot dog. I just recently purchased a package of organic hotdogs because I was preparing wiener wraps for a treat for someone and I wanted to ensure I fed them the best quality I could

However, If this is just a one off craving that you need to satisfy, then don't worry about it too much and get what you like and enjoy!

Below is a site listing some organic brands that you may be able to source in your local grocery store.

Good luck!

http://www.organicgardening.com/living/11-best-hot-dogs?page=0,0
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I remember seeing part of a tooth in a hot dog from a street vendor in Mexico City.....that I would considered bad, otherwise they taste like another one.

I found a clump of black fur in my hot dog I got at a baseball game once. If it weren't for the guys behind me making dirty comments, I might not have looked at it before I put it in my mouth right then. :sick:
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options

I found a clump of black fur in my hot dog I got at a baseball game once. If it weren't for the guys behind me making dirty comments, I might not have looked at it before I put it in my mouth right then. :sick:
    Wearing fur isn't politically correct......the nerve of some hotdogs.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Polish sausage or a Bratwurst. If you must hotdog I would say Hebrew National all beef franks are pretty decent. Personally, none of that is going to be the best from a nutritional standpoint, but frankly they can easily be part of an otherwise nutritious and balanced diet. It's not like all you're eating is hotdogs and nothing else...you have to look at it in the context of your overall diet, not a singular food item...nothing on it's own is "bad" necessarily...it's when you just eat **** full time and too much of that **** that you have issues.
  • rgohm
    rgohm Posts: 294 Member
    Options

Never really thought about hot dogs since I started but these sound good :)

Now I want a hot dog :(

Yep me too