Am I not logging my food right?

Options
I sometimes feel like I ate way more, or less . Today it says 2600. please tell me how would you log these foods in and what would you get.
A massive boiled egg
2 slices of whole wheat bread(90 each)
3 slices of mozerella
2 slices of turkey bacon cooked with some butter
Grande skinny vanilla latte
Giant bowl of carrots and celery sticks
Giant bowl of fruit salad
1/4 cup of raw almonds
A large pear
Starbucks chicken and hummus bistro package
And 7 pieces of sugarless gum and 16 oz coffee.

I didn't think it would be THAT much. Is it correct?

And by the way, by giant, I mean..... GIANT.

Thank you.

Replies

• knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    weigh and measure everything and use the data base - guessing the calories isn't going to work.

The egg is probably an extra large
    Look for the brand for your bread - use the data base
    weigh the mozza cheese (cals depend on the thickness of slice)
    2 slices of turkey bacon (look for the brand and enter it)
    butter (how much? weigh it)
    Grande Skinny latte (look for the coffee shop you got it from in the data base)
    giant bowl of carrot and celery sticks? weigh them or go to the data base and find the approx size of carrots and celery and enter how many you used
    giant bowl of fruit salad? was it homemade? Use the recipe tab and enter what all was put in the fruit salad and how many servings it made
    1/4 cup of raw almonds (best to weigh these but you should be able to find it in the data base)
    A large pear you should be able to find in the data base
    Starbucks chicken and hummus should be in the data base
    16 oz of coffee is 2 cups plus whatever you put in them
    read the label for the gum
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Get a food scale and weigh everything...giant this and that isn't going to be very precise and calorie counting really is a game of precision. If you eat a particular brand of bread, etc find it in the database and log appropriately. Measure anything that doesn't have weight as a serving size with measuring cups and spoons. Also, you need to measure out your cooking oils/butter...it's going to be highly inaccurate to just say a couple pieces of bacon fried in butter (also never heard of doing that...bacon generally renders it's own fat).
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Bacon fried in butter? Yikes! Yes sounds about right to me but you might want to weigh
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Sugarless gum can be really hard on your stomach, I'd limit to 1-2 per day.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    ^^ What everyone else has already said...weighing everything is paramount to getting an accurate calorie count. You can find cheap digital scales online. I think mine was $12.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be surprised that the starbucks trip racked up calories /:
  • Lifelink
    Lifelink Posts: 193 Member
    Options

LOL WHY?!
  • jorasims
    jorasims Posts: 75 Member
    Options

LOL WHY?!

My sentiments exactly! How about some nonstick spray if you need a little oil to cook it. Also the Starbucks surely did a number on your calories for the day....
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options

Agreed.

Very large sweetened coffee drinks can be like a hot milkshake if you aren't careful. Even the ones with skim milk still have a lot of calories if any "mocha" chocolate or flavor containing sugar is added on.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options

Agreed.

Very large sweetened coffee drinks can be like a hot milkshake if you aren't careful. Even the ones with skim milk still have a lot of calories if any "mocha" chocolate or flavor containing sugar is added on.
    Her grande skinny vanilla latte had 120cal and 12g of protein. It's actually a pretty good choice at Starbucks, all things considered.
  • magtart
    magtart Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Was it an ostrich egg?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,188 Member
    Options
    Yes, get a food scale as many of those things would be much better measured with one almonds included.

Why would you fry bacon in butter? There is lots of fat in bacon so it doesn't really need butter to fry well. Just curious.
  • ninaquelinda
    Options
    I'd stay away from starbucks...
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    How exactly are you logging a "giant bowl" of any given food?
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    That's why MFP is so great - when you log your eyes nearly fall out of your head :noway: when you see what calories hide in food! The next step is to learn, make some changes, and keep logging :smile:

I agree with everyone re weighing or measuring - somewhere I saw a video about measuring - when something says teaspoon, it means LEVEL not just dig in and hold as much as you can on the spoon which I guess most of us tend to do :laugh: ... and so on.

Just found Starbucks Chicken thingy you had, doesn't look too bad in calories. http://www.starbucks.com/menu/food/bistro-boxes/chicken-and-hummus-bistro-box

Sound slike you are having a good go - low fat, lots of fruit etc - in Australia they promote TWO fruit and FIVE veg a day - this is the websie if you want to have a look
    http://www.gofor2and5.com.au/

Good luck with your MFP logging and learning :smile:
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Guys.... it's turkey bacon.... there isn't that much fat in turkey bacon. Can you fry it alone? Sure. Will you enjoy it more if you fry it in butter? Yes. Guaranteed. I'd measure the butter and use whatever is left in the pan to butter my toast.

A food scale is absolutely the best way to get an accurate calorie count. On the lower-tech end, you should DEFINITELY be measuring everything you consume in a measuring bowl or set of spoons. That's a good enough place to start. And I know it's annoying, but try to count your carrots and such. They come in finite numbers, so if you can do that it'd make a difference.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Weigh & lookup the correct brands for the food. It is amazing how some days things add up so quickly but it doesn't appear to be much.

And the giant bowl of fruit? Well that could be 90 cals for a whole apple, 100+ cals for a whole banana, depending on what other fruits you put in there. You could be eating 400 worth of fruit? Possibly....
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    This egg came from a chicken, yes?
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options

Agreed.

Her grande skinny vanilla latte had 120cal and 12g of protein. It's actually a pretty good choice at Starbucks, all things considered.

I was mostly thinking about the wrap/sandwhich thing she got /: I tried to look it up online but it wasn't listed.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I sometimes feel like I ate way more, or less . Today it says 2600. please tell me how would you log these foods in and what would you get.
    A massive boiled egg
    2 slices of whole wheat bread(90 each)
    3 slices of mozerella
    Grande skinny vanilla latte
    Giant bowl of carrots and celery sticks
    Giant bowl of fruit salad
    1/4 cup of raw almonds
    A large pear
    Starbucks chicken and hummus bistro package
    And 7 pieces of sugarless gum and 16 oz coffee.

I didn't think it would be THAT much. Is it correct?

And by the way, by giant, I mean..... GIANT.

Thank you.

Only way to know is to buy a food scale.