Overweight veteran

Options
Hi, Im Brian and I am an overweight veteran, Geez, I sound like I am in AA. Im a member of a gym and I need some advice.

Replies

• bluearmy28
    bluearmy28 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    What are you needing advice on? Its all about eating healthy, exercising and having a calorie deficit when working out. Its not easy but very rewarding!
  • Jezebel9
    Jezebel9 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Hello Brian
    My name is Jezebel and I'm an overweight veteran also.
    Sorry- can't help ya with the gym membership thingie.
    8)
  • Dahavol
    Options
    Best advice I can give a fellow vet: What kept you in shape while serving may not necessarily work in civilian life. You may need to significantly modify your exercise habits and food consumption. The discipline will help, but perhaps you'll find more success with weight training or other exercise styles. Expand beyond the dogma of more running = more better.
  • barias1743
    Options
    Need advice on the protein shake thing. I remember young soldiers swilling down this noxious brew all the time and saying it helped them. I wondering if there is any advice on Whey protein drinks?
  • barias1743
    Options
    Dahavol, good point. Jezebel, thanks, bluearmy28, good point.
  • Ryguy08
    Ryguy08 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Need advice on the protein shake thing. I remember young soldiers swilling down this noxious brew all the time and saying it helped them. I wondering if there is any advice on Whey protein drinks?

Whey protein shakes are great if used properly. Just keep in mind, they should be used as a supplement, not as a replacement for a healthy, nutritious meal. It's just very difficult sometimes to meet your protein goal (which for me is 1g per pound of body weight a day), without supplementing sometimes. It's great for on the go, to take a shake with you to the gym for example. The best times I've found to drink them, is right when you wake up, since your body hasn't had any protein all night, and right after a workout, so that your muscles will absorb it very well. I actually use a recovery drink from Optimum Nutrition, which contains carbs as well, which are important for post workout to replace glycogen stores in your muscles. Hope that helps!
  • barias1743
    Options

Whey protein shakes are great if used properly. Just keep in mind, they should be used as a supplement, not as a replacement for a healthy, nutritious meal. It's just very difficult sometimes to meet your protein goal (which for me is 1g per pound of body weight a day), without supplementing sometimes. It's great for on the go, to take a shake with you to the gym for example. The best times I've found to drink them, is right when you wake up, since your body hasn't had any protein all night, and right after a workout, so that your muscles will absorb it very well. I actually use a recovery drink from Optimum Nutrition, which contains carbs as well, which are important for post workout to replace glycogen stores in your muscles. Hope that helps!

Ryguy08, that certainly helps. I was drinking the shake after the WO only. I will adjust and fire for effect. Wish me luck. Thanks!!
  • Ryguy08
    Ryguy08 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    You're welcome. Good luck !!
  • barias1743
    Options
    You're welcome. Good luck !!

:smile:
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Read this link here. It will open your eyes and certainly point you in the right direction.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

The Author is buff & helps out tons of people right here on MFP. :smile:
  • barias1743
    Options
    Read this link here. It will open your eyes and certainly point you in the right direction.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

The Author is buff & helps out tons of people right here on MFP. :smile:

Thanks, allabouthecar, I will, thanks..
  • dlhollin1
    dlhollin1 Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Hi Brian. I am an overweight veteran to. I was a 19k M1 tanker.. I am cutting carbs... walking for exercise... good luck on your journey... you will do great...
  • barias1743
    Options
    Thanks, dlhollin 1!!