No one understands/supports me trying to lose weight :/

Options
Every time people find out I am dieting/trying to lose fat, the reaction is always the same—negative surprise. They always say things like, “You don't need to lose any weight; what's wrong with you?” or “I hope this is opposite day and you mean you're going to start eating more.” Nobody is supportive or encouraging, and everyone wants to know why I am “doing this to myself.”

I am at a healthy BMI, and I am not technically overweight. However, I have those last 5 pounds to lose to take me from looking just OK to looking fit, and I really want to make it happen. It is incredibly discouraging that everybody wants me to stop and is judging me for trying to lose some fat simply because I don't have a ton left to lose. I don't know what to say to convince everyone in my life outside of, “Have you SEEN me shirtless? If you had, you'd understand!” and I am tired of people thinking that I have some kind of eating disorder or that I am totally disconnected from reality. Just because I look OK with clothes on doesn't mean I don't need to lose weight, right?

Has anyone else had people react negatively like this? Especially for those of you who are close to your goal weight or don't have a lot to lose, what do you do? Is there anything you can say to get people to understand , or do you just have to ignore everyone and their criticisms? I feel like nobody wants me to succeed. :(

Replies

• RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I've never had this, but I'm VERY overweight.

Here's my advice: Don't say anything to anyone about your weight loss goals. It makes you seem like you're fishing for those "Oh, you're not fat!" comments. Just... don't say anything, and they won't respond in a way that you think is negative.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    If it comes up, just say "Doctor's orders. Cutting down salt intake" or something. That usually works without opening up the whole "diet" can of worms.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    My question is - Do you actually want to lose weight or have more muscle definition? If you do strength training you will be leaner but not necessarily lighter - tracking calories is a healthy way to look at food and improve your choices but people do it for various reasons not just weight loss.
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I'll second not talking about it. Truthfully, you DON'T need to lose any weight. It's just vanity at this point, which I TOTALLY get. I don't "need" to lose weight either, but I'm trying to drop another 20-25lbs so that I'm closer to the mid-healthy range rather than the upper end. Also, if you're trying to look better naked, are you doing any strength training? It can make all the difference, really.
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I hear it all the time!

Ignore it and move on.... unless you are underweight (and it's not a result of training for something specific), then that's an entirely different issue.
  • Desert_flower3
    Desert_flower3 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    This is why MFP friends are here for
    feel free to add me! :indifferent:
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    ...everybody...is judging me...
    Concern offered by those close to you is not "judging".
    I don't know what to say to convince everyone in my life...
    Why are you trying to convince anyone? If you feel you need to do something - just go do it!

That's what DamePiglet would do!
  • GummyHuman
    GummyHuman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Why do you need to convince anyone? It's nobody else's business.
  • GummyHuman
    Options
    I've never had this, but I'm VERY overweight.

Here's my advice: Don't say anything to anyone about your weight loss goals. It makes you seem like you're fishing for those "Oh, you're not fat!" comments. Just... don't say anything, and they won't respond in a way that you think is negative.

True dat.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    If you only have 5 lbs to lose, you would be better off starting a weightlifting program rather than dieting the weight away. Chances are you don't need to lose weight, you would like to drop body fat, am I correct?

Lift heavy weights. You'll thank me later.
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    I have one friend that "used to" comment that I did not need to lose weight.
    I guess because she was in disbelief of my actual weight...most people were.
    But now , after a 30+ lb weight loss she has commented how much thinner my face is and knows how much effort I am putting into this and how important it is to me.
    I have 10 lbs to go to be in the middle of my BMI range.
    Which is where I want to be , no matter what anyone else has to say about it. :smile:
  • piejin
    piejin Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Woah, thank you for all the thoughtful input! :flowerforyou:

I definitely try not to talk about my fitness goals or bring it up, but sometimes people just find out--it's hard to come up with excuses for why I always used to be the first person around to taste test cookies or go out for drinks or fun food or whatever and now never want to. I guess I feel like I need to convince people why I'm doing this when they find out because it sucks having nobody on my side!

I would ultimately like to gain muscle, but I know that means putting on some more fat, and that seems counterproductive when I can't even prove to myself I can lose all the fat in the first place. Nothing terrifies me more than the thought of going the "build muscle, put on some fat" route and finding that I can't lose the fat later and end up worse than where I started... So right now my short-term goal is to get down to a lower body fat % so I know I'm capable of doing it and can pursue weightlifting without worrying. Right now my exercise is usually a mix of T25 in the mornings every day and in the afternoons I alternate between Insanity workouts and P90X's strength workouts. I also usually walk for 1-2 hours a day.
  • GummyHuman
    Options

I definitely try not to talk about my fitness goals or bring it up, but sometimes people just find out--it's hard to come up with excuses for why I always used to be the first person around to taste test cookies or go out for drinks or fun food or whatever and now never want to. I guess I feel like I need to convince people why I'm doing this when they find out because it sucks having nobody on my side!

I would ultimately like to gain muscle, but I know that means putting on some more fat, and that seems counterproductive when I can't even prove to myself I can lose all the fat in the first place. Nothing terrifies me more than the thought of going the "build muscle, put on some fat" route and finding that I can't lose the fat later and end up worse than where I started... So right now my short-term goal is to get down to a lower body fat % so I know I'm capable of doing it and can pursue weightlifting without worrying. Right now my exercise is usually a mix of T25 in the mornings every day and in the afternoons I alternate between Insanity workouts and P90X's strength workouts. I also usually walk for 1-2 hours a day.

Ah! Your friends miss you! You certainly don't have to stop being fun to lose 5 pounds!

I have lost 30 pounds (so far) and I have never once skipped an afternoon drink with the girls or a slice of office b-day cake. Go into the fitness forum and read the sticky post at the top about being a woman in the weight lifting section of the gym. Do a search for "sexypants". There is so much good info on this forum about lifting for women. You don't need to gain fat to gain muscle.
  • piejin
    piejin Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have lost 30 pounds (so far) and I have never once skipped an afternoon drink with the girls or a slice of office b-day cake. Go into the fitness forum and read the sticky post at the top about being a woman in the weight lifting section of the gym. Do a search for "sexypants". There is so much good info on this forum about lifting for women. You don't need to gain fat to gain muscle.

I'm a man, but your concern for my womanly figure is appreciated, lol. :bigsmile:
  • frodopuppy
    Options
    happens to me too.,I just tell people the truth that I'm in my weight range but have to try to tone up and turn my out of shape body into some lean muscle
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    You can say it's just a few vanity lbs for the beach/summer or whatever. I think people understand that. I'm usually happy that they can't see it in clothes and tell them so :D
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I had that when I wanted to lose vanity pounds as well. People don't want you to get thinner/fitter than they are for fear that you will look better than you already do! People are jealous. Remember that. Think about your goals and phrase them in ways that people can't argue with - oh yeah I'm trying to exercise more, looking to get fit, want to eat healthier, etc.

I'm also on the "my weight is ok but I could look better" train. I'm eating at a very slight deficit (200 cals about) to the point that it might be maintenance, and doing strength training to build muscle. I know to really build muscle I have to bulk up but I just don't think I'm lean enough for it yet! So I'm really just getting into strength and cutting slowly so that I have enough nutrients for my muscles. I tell people I'm "monitoring my eating" and "going to the gym" so that they don't think I have unhealthy goals or anything!
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing---most people don't give a flying flip about your dieting or weight loss. In fact, it generally annoys people to hear about it. I only discuss it with MFP friends or if someone asks me specifically.
  • GummyHuman
    Options

I'm a man, but your concern for my womanly figure is appreciated, lol. :bigsmile:

Ah! Oops! There I go *kitten*-u-me-ing!

Well it works for guys too :blushing:
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options

No one was telling you to go on a bulk. If you lift heavy, you can't possibly "put on fat" unless you're eating at a surplus (which you're not doing). Your weight won't go up (excluding temporary water weight, perhaps), but your body fat percentage should gradually go down.