C25k - A few questions?

Options
Hi! I've just started C25k (literally, this very afternoon).

The program suggests only doing the workout three times a week. I was planning on going to the gym more like four to five times a week (depending on the week) - so what do I do with that extra day/s? Would it be okay to do the last C25k workout again in the extra session/s, or should I be jazzing things up once a week to avoid putting excess strain on muscles etc.?

Any pointers would be good. I really am an absolutely beginner - I've never been athletic at all. Thanks!

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    It's the repetitive impact that's the issue. Do something else that has no impact.
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Options
    Do some strength training the other days. I just started the zombies, run c25k training app (love it), and I'm doing strength training the other 3 days of the week I exercise.
    Have fun!
  • melissamarah
    melissamarah Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I'm actually in a little group here that's for C25K-ers!

I'm on Week 6, and I have been doing the workouts 3/week on MWF. On T/Th/Sat I've been doing little weightlifting videos on FitnessBlender.

Why not do some weight training or swimming or something else on the days off?
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    do what the guy above me is doing, weight train.

look up programs like starting strength, strong curves or starting strength and do those on your non running days.

as long as you arent too crazy with your deficit then you will be able to make decent progress in both and still lose.
  • meshashesha2012
    Options
    Do some strength training the other days. I just started the zombies, run c25k training app (love it), and I'm doing strength training the other 3 days of the week I exercise.
    Have fun!

i'm doing this one as well! i love it and cant wait to be able to start running "missions"
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    do what the guy above me is doing, weight train.

look up programs like starting strength, strong curves or starting strength and do those on your non running days.

as long as you arent too crazy with your deficit then you will be able to make decent progress in both and still lose.

+1. I only do C25K 2x a week, weight training 3x and whatever form of cardio I'm in the mood for on Saturday. It's too cold (for me) to run outside, and the gym is too far from home.
  • goredguar
    goredguar Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Weight train on the other days, and take 1 day a week off to rest!

I started the C25k in October last year and went 2-3 times a week, finished it fine and I now run 30-40 mins 3 times a week. It works so stick with it! :)

I wish I'd started weight training back then too instead of now - hit 2 birds with 1 stone and combine the two :)
  • Blue801
    Options
    Have fun!

i'm doing this one as well! i love it and cant wait to be able to start running "missions"

I know right! So fun. I can't believe I'm actually this excited about my next run/mission.
    High five # 5!
    :drinker:
  • aebrown1993
    aebrown1993 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks all!

When you say 'weight training'... do you mean go out and buy some little weights and things? Or do you mean go to the gym with the sole intention of spending 40 minutes doing the various weights? I'm not sure I'd know what I was doing for 40 minutes - I really am a beginner! (Please have patience with me, haha!)
  • Blue801
    Options
    Thanks all!

When you say 'weight training'... do you mean go out and buy some little weights and things? Or do you mean go to the gym with the sole intention of spending 40 minutes doing the various weights? I'm not sure I'd know what I was doing for 40 minutes - I really am a beginner! (Please have patience with me, haha!)

I got the "you are you own gym" app because I don't have lifting equipment and can't make it to the gym. It is a body weight lifting program thingy that I've found very convenient and effective. There are loads of options. You could also search past threads for strength training or lifting program suggestions.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    meshashesha gave some examples, and there's also New Rules of Lifting (doesn't necessarily have to be New Rules of Lifting for Women (NROLFW)), StrongLifts 5x5, Simplyshredded's routine, All Pro, You Are Your Own Gym (bodyweight)...there are a lot of programs out there. I did NROLFW and All Pro at home with adjustable dumbbells. I was given a gym membership for Christmas, but I can't take my fractionals with me, so the trainer wrote up a 3 day split for me. My workouts vary from 20 - 50 minutes, depending on which body parts I'm working.
  • aebrown1993
    aebrown1993 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Ahh I think I'm with you. That all makes a lot of sense - I'll see how it goes :) Thanks for the advice!
  • meshashesha2012
    Options
    strength training (even if it's with bodyweight) will really help with with your running as well. so even if you find that you really would much rather focus on running, workinn on your strength will help your running goals
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Body By You is another body weight program that is geared toward women. I have been doing it a couple weeks and am seeing progress. Yoga is also a good complement to running--helps you stretch and improves balance.