RED MEAT - Often, Sometimes or Never?

Options
This question has been pressing me lately. My parents raised us on pretty healthy food and only occassionally incorporated red meat (usually pot roast as a child which I never really cared for). Now-a-days I enjoy a good lean steak once a month or so from Outback. At most I eat red meat 4 or 5 times a month. I know it's rich in iron. But so are dark green leafy vegetables. Are there other health benefits to eating lean(er) cuts of red meat? Where do lamb and veal fit in? Are they good for you? Is it best to eat red meat often, occassionally, or to avoid it completely? Just want to know what are your thoughts.

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Everyone is going to be all over the place on this one. I eat red meat pretty much daily. Sometimes more than once a day. Lamb whenever I want a little variety. I'm all over the pork and chicken as well. Some people would never touch it. Others like it only once in a while.

It certainly isn't a thing that's going to impact your weight loss goals, if you're within your calories each day.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I eat beef when ever I want it, usually once or twice a week. I can't think of any meat that is bad for you, so I would suggest you keep a variety in your rotation to keep your interest up.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Whenever I can fit it into my fat goals. Love me some good steak!
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I like red meat - opt for leaner cuts
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Red meat is a fantastic source of protein and I eat it almost daily.

As for it being unhealthy, that's bunk. This is a recent study.

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1741-7015/11/63
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I eat it as often as I can afford. When I was properly employed, probably half a pound to a pound a day of beef or lamb. I've heard that iron in red meat is a bit more bio-available than iron in plants like spinach although both are still beneficial.
  • birdiecs
    birdiecs Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Yes please, I just polished off 8oz of deliciously fatty grass fed beef.
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I personally don't care for red meat, but anything in moderation is fine. If you like it, you can work it into your macros.
  • KristinaB83
    KristinaB83 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I vote for often... There's nothing like a nice bloody steak (for breakfast, lunch or dinner!).
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I eat red meat once a week for dinner (had it tonight--meatloaf). I also have poultry once a week for dinner, and some sort of fish once a week for dinner. Two of my dinners each week are vegetarian. Weekends are leftovers or salads or sandwiches.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    It's an excellent source of protein and heme iron (which I need because I'm borderline anemic so I need to watch this micronutrient). Heme iron is more easily absorbed tan non-heme iron. Besides, it's really yummy! I prefer my steak "blood rare" or purple on the inside (30-60 seconds on each side, just enough to brown it). I cannot wait for grilling season!! :drinker:
  • srains99
    Options
    I am a big fan of grass fed bison. Check out the nutritional value vs beef.
  • GummyHuman
    GummyHuman Posts: 193 Member
    Options

10 oz here! (and i still didn't hit my protein for the day...yet... there is more in the fridge)
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I eat red meat at least 3 times a week and some form of meat daily, usually 2x a day.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I eat red meat at least 4 to 5 days a week.. I prefer sirloin steaks, lean ground beef, and cab steaks. I buy from the local butcher when he runs sales and have a food saver and vacuum pack and freeze my steaks along with my chicken and pork and fish.. but yep red meat is a staple in my diet....
  • Mich4871
    Mich4871 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    2-3 times per year. I'm not big on red meat (just don't care for it too much).
  • birdiecs
    birdiecs Posts: 237 Member
    Options

10 oz here! (and i still didn't hit my protein for the day...yet... there is more in the fridge)

:drinker:

Cheers for the carnivores!
  • foxruddellc1
    foxruddellc1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'd just like to throw this out there, I was raised as a vegetarian and have never eaten red meat in my entire life. I'm very healthy and am not lacking in any vitamins, minerals or protein. I've had blood tests, and other than being slightly overweight, ( I am 23 years old, 5' 3" and 133 lbs, down from 142,) I'm very healthy. I rarely get sick, have never broken any bones ect.

I am not advocating you go vegetarian or whatever, what you live is your choice. (I hate when people act odd about me being vegetarian, so I would assume that people who eat meat feel the same way when egalitarians gripe at them.) I just wanted to share that I have never eaten red meat and am really healthy. And I rarely eat tofu, fake meats, and just eat a lot of plant based food such as beans, fruit, soy/almond milk, peanut butter...

In contrast, my boyfriend eats red meat usually once a day and he is also very healthy. As long as you are getting a balanced diet, how you reach your macros should not matter. :)
  • airdiva1
    airdiva1 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Not I love a good steak! There's no denying that!
    I eat red meat, either a steak or a burger once every two weeks.
    I also now cut up a steak into two three or four sections and make more than one meal! So that 16oz ribeye is split up.
    Prior to this change in lifestyle, I didn't eat steak but maybe once or twice a month,but would eat a large one.
    There are going to be some posters tell you not to eat red meat. But each person is different and what may work well for one may not for the next.
    But I will admit that for my birthday, if I'm at a certain goal weight, For my cheat day going to Texas de Brazil and enjoy alot of red meat that day!!! :smile: :smile: :smile:
  • brock_west_houston
    Options
    Since I'm making Outback my once-monthly (middle of the month) treat, I went there the other night and ordered a steak (with sweet potato and their also amazing chopped bleu cheese pecan salad). I decided I wanted to add a half-rack of ribs, which were also great. The manager thought my ribs were too small, so he brought me another half-rack. I finished off everything on my plate(s)! I skipped the bread & butter of course. And since I've made this the one night a month I drink too, I savored my low-calorie glass of dry red wine and triple-shot (but with little sweet & sour) margarita. On the rocks with extra salt, baby! Anyway, I guess I got my quotient of red meat for the day.