I just ruined my diet . ways to make me feel better? :(

Options
i don't know whats wrong with me today i ate a lot of junk :( I am in tears right now because I have been trying hard just to always mess up. I feel like I should just keep eating since I have already ruined my diet :cry: :brokenheart:

Replies

• AlmightyAce
    AlmightyAce Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Everyone falls off the wagon at some point. As long as you can find your triggers, you can work to avoid them. I hope you continue your diet and that you reach your goal. Don't give up. Anything worth achieving doesn't come easy. :)
  • sjdavis15
    sjdavis15 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I did the very same thing today and feeling pretty bad too. I'm just focusing on not making it worse and starting over again tomorrow. Daily renewal is my game. I hope you don't beat yourself up too badly.
  • SouthGaPeach
    SouthGaPeach Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    DON'T GIVE UP! :) for 3 days this past week, I ate straight crap because my BF gave me chocolates for Valentines. We all fall off the wagon every now and then but just dust off your knees and climb back on! You can do this! You just have to stay motivated :)

edit: remember, tomorrow is a new day! don't get down over one day. it takes days, months, sometimes even years, depending on your goals to see true results and one day of bad eating doesn't mean that you have ruined your diet. Like I mentioned, all weekend, I ate junk so this morning, I saw it on the scales. BUT, I knew that I had to persevere and as a result, ate much better and got in some much needed exercise today.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    You didn't ruin anything. Make yourself feel better by doing better tomorrow.

Whenever I overindulge, I stick by the argument of "you didn't get fat eating half a pizza, you're not going to ruin all your hard work now if you eat half a pizza".
  • Heaven2017
    Heaven2017 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    No tears! Don't give this any power, just jump right back on the horse and don't worry about it. .. you will feel better almost right away by having a great day tomorrow.. you can do it!
  • vaporhockey83
    vaporhockey83 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hop back on the wagon tomorrow. One day won't hurt :D Keep on keeping on. I just acknowledge I had a bad day, I won't repeat it (unless it's a cheat day), and I'll get back to my diet/new food journey tomorrow. I've messed up quite a few times when someone tossed pizza in front of me on an otherwise great logging day. Keep with it, you can do it!
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Your calorie goal may be too low for you.
    Reevaluate your goals and pick something less aggressive.

No food is junk.
    Yes an apple is nutritionally better than a ho ho.
    But everything in moderation will make for a happier you.

The fact you're in tears over this is not a good sign.
    And you might benefit from talking to a counselor
  • boyleb
    Options
    Honestly that is the story of my life! lol It is very hard especially in times of increased stress or the holidays! Don't give up! Know that these set backs are going to occur and remind yourself that this is natural and will happen more than once! It may also help to allow yourself a cheat day once a week, trying to keep it the same day every week! Completely changing your diet is very hard and allowing yourself that little bit of a cheat keeps you in it for the long haul because it's not a complete deprivation of all of your favorite foods! Keep it up all in the name of a better you and a lifestyle change!
  • drlewando
    drlewando Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Let it go. Focus on what will be great about tomorrow. There will always be days when we all eat too much.
    The goal is that over time,,, we have more days where we eat less. I don't know about you,,, but I didn't gain all this weight overnight. It tooks years. I am on year 2,,,, I recognize that it might take 3 years to do this. Slow and steady.
  • adblanche
    Options
    You have ruined absolutely nothing. Unless you decide, right now, that you completely give up and will not or cannot ever eat healthy in the future nothing is ruined.

^That sounds pretty silly to think just because you had an extra ___________________ [slice of pizza, chocolate bar, bag of chips, soda, etc.], right?

Do you think that NFL receivers think their career is ruined because they dropped a pass? Nope! They just say "Damn. I messed that up today. I guess I'll have to try again tomorrow." Yeah, they might be pissed about it, but they don't stop playing.

And you can do the exact same thing. You've already done the hard part, which is recognize that you need to make some adjustments. But change is DIFFICULT. Nobody changes their lives without dropping a pass every now and then.

Seriously. You really can do it, a few tiny choices at a time.
  • apieceofenergy
    Options
    i don't know whats wrong with me today i ate a lot of junk :( I am in tears right now because I have been trying hard just to always mess up. I feel like I should just keep eating since I have already ruined my diet :cry: :brokenheart:

That outlook is detrimental to you, just cause you mess up once doesn't mean you should keep bashing yourself and stay off the path. Get back on, get back to work, you'll do fine! Lishie is right, no food is junk, some are better for you yeah, but keep an eye on your calorie intake, be moderate, don't hurt yourself trying to improve yourself.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    It happens. If you dropped your phone, and cracked your screen, would you go and stomp on it to finish off the job ? Same thing with a lifestyle change. So what? You had a bad day. Happens to everyone, whether they are trying to lose weight or not. It will only impact your progress if you take it too seriously, and let it totally derail you. tomorrow is a new day, you had a day off, and now you can get back to it. There will always be days where you maybe eat a bit more than you wanted to or expected to. Best to accept that, and learn to let it go and move on. You also need to not place quite so much importance on this, that it has you in tears when you mess up. You are much, much more than the body you are in and the diet you are on.
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options

Hey, No biggie .... tomorrow is a new day
    1) make sure your eating enough good things before a binge can happen
    2) Have only good choices around you- go to Costco Sams club and buy a 100lb bag of baby carrots or celery and when you have the urge, eat that until you get thru it your binge state
    3) talk nice to yourself, you deserve this, you can do it
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,234 Member
    Options
    You only ruined you diet if you keep going off the rails. Sure, you screwed up today, but one day is not what made you fat, in fact to put on the four pounds you lost you would need to eat 14000 calories over maintenance which, if you set your weight loss goal as 2 pounds per week, would be 1000 over your calorie goal. In over words, that is 26 Big Macs eaten after you actually at the 1000 calories extra over your calorie goal. I highly doubt you ate that much. So, stop feeling so horrible, realize you can do this, stop eating, and get back on the wagon tomorrow.
  • ChristineinMA
    ChristineinMA Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Think of yourself as a toddler learning to walk. You are going to fall on your butt...a lot...every day.

Every toddler eventually learns to walk and even run. Each fall can teach you something - maybe you need to go slower or lean on a friend or rest.

After you gather your strength, try again.

You can do this!
  • JayJo13
    JayJo13 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    One of the biggest mistakes people make is giving up after one bad day. I've lost 36 lbs in 3 months and I've had plenty of bad days. You need to keep pushing--acknowledge you bad day, learn from it and move on. After all, going back to your old habits doesn't do you much good either, does it?
  • Keliandra
    Keliandra Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Everyone falls off the wagon at some point. As long as you can find your triggers, you can work to avoid them. I hope you continue your diet and that you reach your goal. Don't give up. Anything worth achieving doesn't come easy. :)

Listen to this. Tomorrow is another day! I overate as well. Wine + Chocolates = Naughty Keliandra! Naughty or not, I'll be right back on track tomorrow. Close today's food diary and open a new page tomorrow.

Took me 2 years to learn to ride a bike. Fell off a LOT, skinned my hand, skinned my knees. My brothers laughed at me and my mother gave up. I didn't, and I finally learned to ride my bike. There will be sweat, there will be tears, but in the end, it will be worth it.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Your calorie goal may be too low for you.
    Reevaluate your goals and pick something less aggressive.

No food is junk.
    Yes an apple is nutritionally better than a ho ho.
    But everything in moderation will make for a happier you.

The fact you're in tears over this is not a good sign.
    And you might benefit from talking to a counselor

give me a ho ho any day of the week….
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    You didn't ruin anything. Make yourself feel better by doing better tomorrow.

Whenever I overindulge, I stick by the argument of "you didn't get fat eating half a pizza, you're not going to ruin all your hard work now if you eat half a pizza".

This. One day of overeating will not ruin anything unless you let it. I've gone over calories or messed up my macros several times, and still lost the weight. I've been maintaining for 6 months now and go over about once a month on average. Worst it will do is slow your loss, unless you let it make you quit.
  • ekztawas
    ekztawas Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately we are not iron clad and cannot always resist temptation. The best thing to do after you've had a binge- at least for me- is to start fresh IMMEDIATELY. Think about what caused you to binge. Go on a walk to clear your head (this always works for me). Put the food away or throw the offending food away. And then, the next time you have a snack, make a point to choose a snack that is consistent with your HEALTH GOALS. Do chips help you reach your goals? Do cookies? No. But greek yogurt with honey and granola is a good alternative!

Crappy food makes me feel like crap. That's what I tell myself.