Protein Bars that aren't actually candy...

Options
I have been trying to find a good line of Protein Bars that aren't really just a candy bar dressed in a package that says its healthy. A friend of mine referred me to Clif Bars, which seem decent - they taste pretty good anyway - but I was wondering if you guys might have some good suggestions for truly healthy protein bars that also don't taste like chalk. FYI I'm lactose intolerant, so if any of them are heavy on some kind of dairy product, please leave those out of your suggestions, otherwise I'd appreciate any input =)

Replies

• JoJo__Fit
    JoJo__Fit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Quest Bars
    Oh Yeah Victory Bars

Do clif bars even have protein tho?
  • iifym_girl
    iifym_girl Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yeah, Quest bars FTW.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Quest Bars
    Oh Yeah Victory Bars

Do clif bars even have protein tho?
    Clif Protein bars have 20g protein, so yes.
  • JaniePapageorgio
    JaniePapageorgio Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about ordering some quest bars, but they are expensive! What are the best flavors?
  • IWILLBelieveAchieveInspire
    Options
    This link explains things pretty clearly and is in my opinion one of the best ways to find the best protein bar for your needs. Definitely worth the read.

http://www.leanitup.com/review-the-protein-bar-power-rankings-30-popular-bars-torn-apart-and-ranked/
  • IWILLBelieveAchieveInspire
    Options
    I'm thinking about ordering some quest bars, but they are expensive! What are the best flavors?

My favourites are chocolate chip cookie dough, double chocolate chunk, strawberry cheesecake, chocolate brownie, peanut butter supreme, and chocolate peanut butter. In my area you can buy a box of 12 for $33.oo.
  • shadriel7
    Options
    This link explains things pretty clearly and is in my opinion one of the best ways to find the best protein bar for your needs. Definitely worth the read.

http://www.leanitup.com/review-the-protein-bar-power-rankings-30-popular-bars-torn-apart-and-ranked/

Wow thanx, very informational and I see Quest Bars are listed as #1 - i will have to look into them, thx guys =)
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Why waste money on bars when you could buy meat for the same price?

food for thought

In the midwest I can eat organic chicken for cheaper than quest bars (gram for gram, dollar for dollar). Ive noticed considerably higher pricing for meat out West.
  • EvilPink
    EvilPink Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    My fav. is Pure Protein. They're cheaper than most brands, fewer calories, and actually have more protein than carbs. For example, a Pure Protein peanut butter bar has 200 calories, 20 protein, and 16 carbs, 2 sugars. The Clif peanut butter bar has 270 cals, 20 protein, but 30 carbs, and 20 sugars. I'm sorry but, to me, a protein bar should have MORE protein than anything else. I find Pure Protein bars are one of the few who fit that profile. But, that's just a personal preference; depending on your exercise plan, eating plan, etc., more carbs and sugar may not be an issue for you (I have PCOS and am IR so I need the fewer carbs/high protein).

I usually find them at Safeway and often times they have them on sale for a buck a bar and they don't taste too bad at all. If you don't have Safeways in your area, you can always find them at Wal Mart or Target for about $6.50 - $7 for a box of 6 bars.

Quest bars, nutrition/calories wise are similar to P.P.; their cals are a little less (about 40 less) but their carbs/protein ratio are still higher but not too bad at all (25/20 ish); almost even and only 1 g of sugar. So they'd probably be a good option, too but I've never actually eaten one so I can't attest to taste.
  • LaurenMariex33
    Options

food for thought

In the midwest I can eat organic chicken for cheaper than quest bars (gram for gram, dollar for dollar). Ive noticed considerably higher pricing for meat out West.

I can't put chicken in my backpack and eat it during class...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

why not? i often sit at my desk with a pack of turkey or ham as my afternoon snack when i need more protein.
  • tiddles_yeah
    tiddles_yeah Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Dont Quest bars have whey protein in them? I thought whey protein often had lactose in it?
  • tiddles_yeah
    tiddles_yeah Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I make my own protein balls that are dairy free and a lot cheaper than buying bars, especially the quest one (no offence to Quest, but on a uni budget they would be out of my league even if they didnt contain heaps of things im allergic to)

The recipe can be found here:

http://superallergyfood.blogspot.com.au/
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

food for thought

Because sweet tooth. Doh.

Oh and chicken doesn't have fiber in it.
  • ginnyntonic
    ginnyntonic Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You can get a box of 12 Quest bars from Amazon. They are about $25 and ship free if you have prime membership. They are great for when I am traveling and don't want to eat expensive airport fast food.
  • shadriel7
    Options

food for thought

exactly... i need something to eat after work, before i go to the gym, so I'm not crashing after the workout. i'm not carrying around chicken in my backpack for that...
  • MLR930
    MLR930 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I get my Quest bars at GNC and buy them individually instead of by the box and they are usually buy 3 get 1 free.
  • michael300891
    Options
    ON Strawberries and Cream are around 30g protein for about 40g Carb, pretty good and very nice :)
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I say try making your own! I love to do this when I have the time. They taste good, are cheaper than buying, don't have preservatives, and don't waste packaging.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I make my own protein balls that are dairy free and a lot cheaper than buying bars, especially the quest one (no offence to Quest, but on a uni budget they would be out of my league even if they didnt contain heaps of things im allergic to)

The recipe can be found here:

http://superallergyfood.blogspot.com.au/

I am with you on making your own protein bars. In fact when shopping and bought all the ingredients needed to make my on bars.