weight gainers?

Options
2»

Replies

• 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian on a bulk right now.
    Eating all the calories without meat can be hard, yes. But there is ice cream (vegan ice cream in your case)

I take you are doing some sort of resistance training to gain some muscle along with the fat?
    Maybe have a look at the group women who bulk, lots of weight gaining ladies with lot of tips :)
  • cavery23
    cavery23 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I've been using iSupp Accumulate, its good quality, 700kcals, and reasonably priced, the serving size is too big either.
    I live in the UK so not sure if available in the US.

good luck!
  • KickingButt
    KickingButt Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian on a bulk right now.
    Eating all the calories without meat can be hard, yes. But there is ice cream (vegan ice cream in your case)

I take you are doing some sort of resistance training to gain some muscle along with the fat?
    Maybe have a look at the group women who bulk, lots of weight gaining ladies with lot of tips :)

yes I am resistance training...
    thanks is that group on here as well?
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    1900 calories??? To gain? That's less then my maintenance!! I am 5'4" started at 97lbs and ate around 2500 to gain about a lb a week...I did this for 3 months to gain 10lbs then took it down to about 2200 and slowly gained another 7lbs....when I exercised I ate back my calories...

I think your number is way too low to begin with...but as for filling those calories...healthy fats are a good go to with oils, avocados, nuts.... Then crabs of course...pasta; potatoes, rice, good quality dense bread...protein...though I don't know where you can get it naturally with a vegan diet. I would suggest lots of milk (I drank a liter a day) but another no go...but drink your calories can help with juices & smoothies...

The simple fact us you just need to consume more calories how ever you see best to do it.
  • SaebraSpirit
    SaebraSpirit Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    If I'm honest your gonna need way more calories than that if you want to gain.
    Most people shy away from a higher caloric intake because they think it will make them 'fat' which is opposite of the case if you are working out.
    Yes when your gaining weight you will be more bulkier with fat AND muscle but it will even out on its own once you reach the goal weight and stop eating in excess.
  • KickingButt
    Options
    If I'm honest your gonna need way more calories than that if you want to gain.
    Most people shy away from a higher caloric intake because they think it will make them 'fat' which is opposite of the case if you are working out.
    Yes when your gaining weight you will be more bulkier with fat AND muscle but it will even out on its own once you reach the goal weight and stop eating in excess.
    thanks... yea iv increased.. its the distributing part that when its not working right away I shy back because I assume im doing something wrong
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    one of my daughters just cannot gain. she is in jr high and weighs about 70 pounds. her dr says she is very healthy, just has a fast metabolism. i started making her some high calorie smoothies, and she seems to be filling out lately. in a blender, i put 1 cup full fat milk, 2 tablespoons peanut butter, 2 frozen bananas, and vanilla protein powder. i dont add in any sugar or anything, just what i listed here. it taste, so awesome, however, i dont need to gain, so i dont drink it... she loves it, and i believe one of these is right around 600-700 calories and packed full of protein! maybe add something like this ON TOP of your 1900 calories a day? its like a desert!

now i do make something similar to this for me, low cals, using 30 cal almond milk, pb2 and 1 frozen banana. yum!
  • nommers2x
    Options
    Hey thatssss wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy to little i'm 5'3 98 lbs and normally I eat around 2500 and run but now since i want to gain weight i eat around 3000-4000 and i'm still having trouble I started at 98 but now i can maintain 102-104 if i eat at least 3000.
  • KickingButt
    Options
    Hey thatssss wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy to little i'm 5'3 98 lbs and normally I eat around 2500 and run but now since i want to gain weight i eat around 3000-4000 and i'm still having trouble I started at 98 but now i can maintain 102-104 if i eat at least 3000.

thanks! im not a runner, nor do I ever rarely do cardio... I do resistance training tho... guessing it works out the same for calories?
  • KickingButt
    Options
    one of my daughters just cannot gain. she is in jr high and weighs about 70 pounds. her dr says she is very healthy, just has a fast metabolism. i started making her some high calorie smoothies, and she seems to be filling out lately. in a blender, i put 1 cup full fat milk, 2 tablespoons peanut butter, 2 frozen bananas, and vanilla protein powder. i dont add in any sugar or anything, just what i listed here. it taste, so awesome, however, i dont need to gain, so i dont drink it... she loves it, and i believe one of these is right around 600-700 calories and packed full of protein! maybe add something like this ON TOP of your 1900 calories a day? its like a desert!

now i do make something similar to this for me, low cals, using 30 cal almond milk, pb2 and 1 frozen banana. yum!

thanks for the idea... I will see what I can do with it to make it vegan!
  • jodilz82
    Options
    Hi. Just joined MFP. My nutritionists says that I need to gain 15 lbs of muscles. I work out for about 2 mos. then loose interest and always quit. Working out is so hard and I barley see any results. Hoping the food part of this app will help me see what I am doing wrong. I know I am not getting enough protein and I can't gain muscle without it. Working out make my body hurt and feel worse.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Hi. Just joined MFP. My nutritionists says that I need to gain 15 lbs of muscles. I work out for about 2 mos. then loose interest and always quit. Working out is so hard and I barley see any results. Hoping the food part of this app will help me see what I am doing wrong. I know I am not getting enough protein and I can't gain muscle without it. Working out make my body hurt and feel worse.

it's not easy.

If it was easy- everyone would do it. You need to get on a program and stick with it.

Results come slowly- over months- not weeks. You need to stick with a program- lifting progressively and eat at a surplus. 15 lbs of muscle will be a several year bulk/cut process. Not several months.

Suck it up butter cup and go do the thing. That's really the best way to get results. Do the work- eat the food. It'll happen but you need to commit to it!
  • Seemberg
    Options
    Whole milk is even better. You can even add cream to your smoothies, casseroles, coffee, etc.
  • 2014myyear
    2014myyear Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    its all about your calories and macros mate.

start getting in about 2400cals for a start (then inscrease by 200 every week/second week as necessary) n you'll start seeing a huge difference in a first few months

coming from another hardgainer who used to be 110lbs a year ago

**EDIT**

JUST SAW THAT YOURE A GIRL LOL
    not sure but im guessing itd be the same if you're a girl

train hard n diet hard, results will come ahah

thanks, I did increase to 2400 now. tried that banana girl diet these past 4 days... felt good at first, but don't understand how that much sugar can b good! and no protein and very little fats... so im going back to what I was doing.. 4 days cant do much harm right???!!?

What is this banana girl diet you speak of? Have you heard of calogen? I used it for a wee bit on top of my normal diet and it seemed to do the trick - others swear by it, chuck that in a shake perhaps?
  • 2014myyear
    2014myyear Posts: 60 Member
    Options

start getting in about 2400cals for a start (then inscrease by 200 every week/second week as necessary) n you'll start seeing a huge difference in a first few months

**EDIT**

thanks, I did increase to 2400 now. tried that banana girl diet these past 4 days... felt good at first, but don't understand how that much sugar can b good! and no protein and very little fats... so im going back to what I was doing.. 4 days cant do much harm right???!!?

What is this banana girl diet you speak of? Have you heard of calogen? I used it for a wee bit on top of my normal diet and it seemed to do the trick - others swear by it, chuck that in a shake perhaps?

ignore my bit about the banana diet just real above..
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Steak, and steak and steak is also good. If you don't like steak, I have heard that steak is good too.
  • aremai4_27
    aremai4_27 Posts: 3 Member
    Options

**EDIT**

What is the banana girl diet and why did you do it?

its a high carb low fat vegan diet. mainly fruit throughout your day with some veg... etc...
    I tried it because I am vegan and it looked good and the girl that is leading it looks amazing... buuuuutttt,,,,like I said im not sure what the long term would b if I continue it because its soo much sugar,,, especially bananas!

You might want to try a creatine supplement as well. Since you're not eating red meat, which contains what your body needs to produce creatine, you're bodies natural levels may be to low to effectively turn the protein your getting into muscle and just storing it as fat. Adding 5g a day might not only help you gain a little bit of weight, but also could prevent gaining fat.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Steak, and steak and steak is also good. If you don't like steak, I have heard that steak is good too.

yeah that's my diet. + ice cream + beer (not in that order)

but she's vegan- I'm pretty sure that's a no go. more for you and me though!
  • KickingButt
    Options

yeah that's my diet. + ice cream + beer (not in that order)

but she's vegan- I'm pretty sure that's a no go. more for you and me though!

thanks for picking up on that :P
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    OP: how are you doing since your first posted?

You need to make sure you get enough protein as well as fats and carbs.

Good vegan sources of protein are seitan and soy, and as you need to get your calories up, having 'fatty' or 'carby' protein is fine, such as nuts and seeds and nut and seed butters, quinoa, lentils etc. Also good sources of protein are nutritional yeast and hemp seeds (they are complere proteins and nutritional yeast also has B12). As most vegan sources are not complete proteins in that they lack any meaningful amounts of one or more of the essential amino acids, you should make sure you get a varied diet - include a good mix of veggies, legumes, grains, nuts etc.