What is a realistic workout plan?

While I'm waiting on my assessment at the gym with my new exercise programme, I'm thinking of burning my calories the following way:

400 calories x2 a week via cardio (100 elliptical + 75 x4 on rowing, wave machine, bike, and running)
300 weight training plus cardio warm-up once a week
200 calories through Pilates once a week
250-600 random, fun work-out once a week

That makes 5 workouts a week with a weekly total of: just over 1000 calories a week. MFP says I need to aim for 1200 a week. How can I realistically get there? (In a way that's fun and exciting.)

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    I would focus for now on frequency and duration, and make a plan you can stick to on the long run. Try out different exercises, fit them in your routine, see what you can realistically do without exhausting yourself and what you enjoy and do not worry about how many calories this means yet.
  • Zumba!!!!!...burns massive calories and its super fun...doesnt even feel like a workout.....im losing around 2.2 pounds a week with healthy eating, zumba and strength training....good luck with your journey...
  • jensiegel39
    jensiegel39 Posts: 163 Member
    You may want to try Zumba or another similar type of class, if you have time. I discovered Zumba a few months ago, and I take a class 3 - 4 days a week. Even when I'm exhausted or have things to do, I drag myself there because it's so fun and such a good workout! You could also do Zumba or other videos at home.

Another thing I've been doing is my elliptical. I bought one online relatively cheaply (under $200), and when I'm too busy to go to the gym or it's too dark to ride my bike or whatever, I jump on that while catching up on my t.v. shows. It's fun and so convenient.

Good luck! See how your current exercise goes, but if you want to add something, try to find something at home you can do that is pleasing.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I think you're getting confused with how MFP works, you dont need to burn 1200 cals... MFP gives you a deficit before exercise, and then you eat back your exercise cals as well.

plus it should be the quality of your workouts, not just doing soemthing till you get to a set number...
  • ochibi91
    ochibi91 Posts: 115 Member
    For your random, fun work-out once a week, you could try out Fitnessblender. I currently follow workout videos from them (http://www.fitnessblender.com/) and they're really fun! They have a whole range of videos targeting all muscle groups and they also have videos of varying intensities. They also often update their site with new workout videos so you'll never get bored :)
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    If 1200 calories is your goal, it really doesn't matter what your workout plan is because you should be eating those calories back anyway.

Example: You eat lunch, breakfast, and have 400 calories left for dinner. Run and burn off 200 calories, now you can eat a 600 calorie dinner.

Think of exercise more as a way to be able to eat more calories while still losing weight.

Edit: Did I read your post wrong? I think I read your post wrong...
  • ProjectYummyMummy
    ProjectYummyMummy Posts: 98 Member
    I think you're getting confused with how MFP works, you dont need to burn 1200 cals... MFP gives you a deficit before exercise, and then you eat back your exercise cals as well.

plus it should be the quality of your workouts, not just doing soemthing till you get to a set number...

Nope, not confused. I have a daily calorie goal of 1200 calories. Then a daily target of 45 mins or 315 calories to burn per day. Which amounts to 1,260 per week. I seem to be fine with the calorie intake. But I'm not burning enough per week. I've just figured out that my cardio workouts aren't intense enough even though they take about 45 mins to complete.

I like the idea of Zumba. I will check the class schedule at the gym, because frankly, I don't trust myself to schedule the time at home.
  • ProjectYummyMummy
    For your random, fun work-out once a week, you could try out Fitnessblender. I currently follow workout videos from them (http://www.fitnessblender.com/) and they're really fun! They have a whole range of videos targeting all muscle groups and they also have videos of varying intensities. They also often update their site with new workout videos so you'll never get bored :)

Awesome! Thanks for this!
  • ProjectYummyMummy
    If 1200 calories is your goal, it really doesn't matter what your workout plan is because you should be eating those calories back anyway.

Example: You eat lunch, breakfast, and have 400 calories left for dinner. Run and burn off 200 calories, now you can eat a 600 calorie dinner.

Think of exercise more as a way to be able to eat more calories while still losing weight.

Edit: Did I read your post wrong? I think I read your post wrong...

LOL! It was 1200 a week, not a day!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

Nope, not confused. I have a daily calorie goal of 1200 calories. Then a daily target of 45 mins or 315 calories to burn per day. Which amounts to 1,260 per week. I seem to be fine with the calorie intake. But I'm not burning enough per week. I've just figured out that my cardio workouts aren't intense enough even though they take about 45 mins to complete.

I like the idea of Zumba. I will check the class schedule at the gym, because frankly, I don't trust myself to schedule the time at home.

That fitness goal doesnt actually impact your weight loss... you get that from the deficit you are creating only eating 1200 cals - thats why you need to eat back exercise cals... if you set your exercise goal to 0 it would make no difference.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Just because you set an arbitrary calorie burn goal doesn't mean anything when it comes to actually losing weight. MFP isn't really set up that way.
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    While I'm waiting on my assessment at the gym with my new exercise programme, I'm thinking of burning my calories the following way:

400 calories x2 a week via cardio (100 elliptical + 75 x4 on rowing, wave machine, bike, and running)

That makes 5 workouts a week with a weekly total of: just over 1000 calories a week. MFP says I need to aim for 1200 a week. How can I realistically get there? (In a way that's fun and exciting.)

I'm a little confused as to how this adds to onl 1000 calories a week burned through exercise. That adds to 1550 if you go with the 250 calories for a fun workout, 1900 if you burn 600...?
  • andibenoit
    andibenoit Posts: 71 Member

I'm a little confused as to how this adds to onl 1000 calories a week burned through exercise. That adds to 1550 if you go with the 250 calories for a fun workout, 1900 if you burn 600...?

I think she counted the 400 only once, although listed as x2 a week.
  • ProjectYummyMummy

I think she counted the 400 only once, although listed as x2 a week.

Yes, you're right! Silly me! Bad maths actually saves the day this time.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    I am glad math saved the day and I think you have a well-balanced plan. I like that you included pilates because I think flexibility and core strength/stability workouts are highly overlooked. Yoga is also great for that.:smile:

My only tweak would be to up your strength to 2x per week and make your fun day a cardio day. Zumba is cardio. So are hiking, biking, swimming, skiing, etc. It doesn't all have to be machines or gym classes. I think you will really see a lot of changes in your body if you add more weight training, not just weight loss, but more visible changes. I hate to say "tone" because yeah, yeah, yeah I know you can't tone, but muscle is apparent when you have more of it.
  • Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Beautifulbridgittlee7 Posts: 352 Member
    Zumba, swimming, water jogging, cycling, Stairmaster, circuit training, kickboxing, hula hooping, skating( ice or inline)