thin with stomach fat. plz help!

Options
Ok so when I started (and actually stuck with it)exercising and trying to lose weight back in July of last year, I was going to lose a good chunk of my weight. I weighed 127lbs and wanted to be down to 100lbs. I know, I know, probably not good. All My weight was in my stomach. My legs and arms looked fine. But now I'm down to 113lbs and I can honestly say that I don't feel like I should lose anymore weight. I'm 5'6 (I think) and happily thin :) the only problem is my stomach. I'm thin everywhere else except my gut. I'm almost finished with Insanity for the second time (only 2 weeks left) and I've been adding squats and dead lifts with weights to the routine as well. And that is because I'd like to build some muscle in my thighs and I eventually want a lean stomach, but I don't know what I should do. Should I keep trying to lose weight to get the stomach fat off? Or focus on weight training? Like I said, this is my first time sticking to losing weight, so I'm still pretty new to all of this. Any and all advice is appreciated!

Replies

• knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    maintenance? If you stick with the strength training you will eventually see results and if you are happy with your weight go on maintenance.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    With people who are underweight, it's extremely common for them to still have higher amounts of body fat. So if you want to get a flat stomach, there is a strong chance you will need to build the muscle back up that you lost. You can do this with a bulk phased followed by a cut. This means you would need to eat a surplus to gain weight (mass) and then after 8-12 weeks, drop calories to just below maintenance to lose any new fat you gained.

The alternate option is eating at maintenance and try strength training to lose body fat and maintain muscle, but this is definitely the long approach. I worked with a woman where she ate 2100 calories on lifting days and 1800 on non lifting days, and it took a year to go from 26% body fat down to 18% body fat. So it can be done, but it's definitely long.
  • NoehmiEsquivel
    NoehmiEsquivel Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    K Thank You!
    I want sure if sticking to the weight training would do the whole 'building muscle under the layer of fat' thing in my stomach and not being able to see it, but if it won't do that, then I'm up for the commitment! :smile:
  • NoehmiEsquivel
    Options
    With people who are underweight, it's extremely common for them to still have higher amounts of body fat. So if you want to get a flat stomach, there is a strong chance you will need to build the muscle back up that you lost. You can do this with a bulk phased followed by a cut. This means you would need to eat a surplus to gain weight (mass) and then after 8-12 weeks, drop calories to just below maintenance to lose any new fat you gained.

The alternate option is eating at maintenance and try strength training to lose body fat and maintain muscle, but this is definitely the long approach. I worked with a woman where she ate 2100 calories on lifting days and 1800 on non lifting days, and it took a year to go from 26% body fat down to 18% body fat. So it can be done, but it's definitely long.

Ok I see. Thank you so much! I'm just glad to be pointed in the right direction. I knew I was underweight, but not seeing my stomach go away, just made me continue to work out. I'm obviously new to this lol
  • NoehmiEsquivel
    Options
    One more thing:
    Should I still be doing cardio? Like running, insanity etc
    Or just weights and toning type of exercise? Ab exercises etc
    Not sure if the cardio will affect any muscle gain if I decide to still with maintaining instead of bulking back up
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try some core exercises

Yoga/pilates is supposed to be very good for this.

I do a kettle bells class and sometimes body pump and they do ab exercises... The next day I feel like someone has punched my stomach all night - You can tell it works.

Using the kettlebells and doing crunches/sit ups is very good!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    One more thing:
    Not sure if the cardio will affect any muscle gain if I decide to still with maintaining instead of bulking back up

3 x full body strength training per week, then you could do insanity a couple of times a week for your cardio.
  • ckidd311
    ckidd311 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Following
  • NoehmiEsquivel
    Options
    Why don't you try some core exercises

Yoga/pilates is supposed to be very good for this.

I do a kettle bells class and sometimes body pump and they do ab exercises... The next day I feel like someone has punched my stomach all night - You can tell it works.

Using the kettlebells and doing crunches/sit ups is very good!
    I just downloaded some ab workout routine online, along with a booty and arm routine from the "Tone It Up Girls" I read in a past forum that there stuff was working out pretty well. Hoping it works out
  • each_day_stronger
    each_day_stronger Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Throw out the scale, Eat more, lift heavy, reduce cardio to only whatever makes you happy (even if that's basically just walking around):
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • eso2012
    eso2012 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3" and definitely know that 100 is too low for me. So no girl, you can even put on some pounds.

Flab - are you talking about no muscle tones or fat over muscles?

Either case, I would keep doing what you have been doing, combining cardio and strength training. Up your calories a bit.

Pilates is a core transformer, you shoudl try it. My abs are strong because of it.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    You should not lose any more weight, in fact, if you continue w/the strength training, you may find that you gain in muscle but it'll look like you are leaner. You should do cardio, strength training, and flexibility (stretching). On your stomach, I've had great success in a very short time just pulling it in as hard as possible throughout the day. I wear a rubber band on my watch wrist to remind myself to pull it in throughout the day. Some will tie a string to their watch or steering wheel to help remind themselves. At first it may make your muscles/lower back sore, as you get used to it. But pretty soon you'll notice that you're holding it in without even thinking about it. Give it a try for just a week & I think you'll notice a huge difference. Stand/sit up really straight, like you're trying to touch your head to the ceiling, take a deep breath & exhale, hold on the exhale & pull in your stomach (tighten your gluts too if you like), then start breathing normally while trying to maintain the position. Most people just don't realize how much poor posture (slumped shoulders & relaxed stomach pooching out) can make us look bigger than we are in places. Let me know what you think, but everyone I know who's given this a fair try has raved about how well it works.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    pick up a copy of starting strength or new rules of lifting for woman and then build a lifting program around compound movements and lifting progressively heavier. compound movements = squats, deadlifts, overhead press, bench press, pull ups/chin ups…once you have these moves down incorporate them into a three day a week routine that looks like…

monday - chest/arms
    tuesday - cardio
    wens - legs
    thurs - cardio
    frirday - back shoulder
    sat - off
    sunday - free day/active rest…

you might also want to adjust your calorie intake so you are either maintaining or at a slight - 10% - deficit...
  • NoehmiEsquivel
    Options
    I am 5'3" and definitely know that 100 is too low for me. So no girl, you can even put on some pounds.

Flab - are you talking about no muscle tones or fat over muscles?

Either case, I would keep doing what you have been doing, combining cardio and strength training. Up your calories a bit.

Pilates is a core transformer, you shoudl try it. My abs are strong because of it.

The flab is a combo of no muscle definition at all and fat over the muscle.
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    You can't spot reduce, but you CAN build muscle in other areas to get proportions that you're happier with, and continue to lower your body fat (what very little bit there is) without losing any more weight.
  • NoehmiEsquivel
    Options
    You should not lose any more weight, in fact, if you continue w/the strength training, you may find that you gain in muscle but it'll look like you are leaner. You should do cardio, strength training, and flexibility (stretching). On your stomach, I've had great success in a very short time just pulling it in as hard as possible throughout the day. I wear a rubber band on my watch wrist to remind myself to pull it in throughout the day. Some will tie a string to their watch or steering wheel to help remind themselves. At first it may make your muscles/lower back sore, as you get used to it. But pretty soon you'll notice that you're holding it in without even thinking about it. Give it a try for just a week & I think you'll notice a huge difference. Stand/sit up really straight, like you're trying to touch your head to the ceiling, take a deep breath & exhale, hold on the exhale & pull in your stomach (tighten your gluts too if you like), then start breathing normally while trying to maintain the position. Most people just don't realize how much poor posture (slumped shoulders & relaxed stomach pooching out) can make us look bigger than we are in places. Let me know what you think, but everyone I know who's given this a fair try has raved about how well it works.
    Thank for the info, I definitely agree about the posture, I know my little pooch can give some of its credit to that lol
  • NoehmiEsquivel
    Options
    pick up a copy of starting strength or new rules of lifting for woman and then build a lifting program around compound movements and lifting progressively heavier. compound movements = squats, deadlifts, overhead press, bench press, pull ups/chin ups…once you have these moves down incorporate them into a three day a week routine that looks like…

monday - chest/arms
    tuesday - cardio
    wens - legs
    thurs - cardio
    frirday - back shoulder
    sat - off
    sunday - free day/active rest

you might also want to adjust your calorie intake so you are either maintaining or at a slight - 10% - deficit...

Thanks for the blue print on what I should be doing! Thanks for the add also. My current calorie intake is set to 1200 I think if I up it to maintain my weight, it goes up to 1600. Which to be perfectly honest, kinda scares me haha
  • LexiMelo
    LexiMelo Posts: 203 Member
    Options

monday - chest/arms
    tuesday - cardio
    wens - legs
    thurs - cardio
    frirday - back shoulder
    sat - off

I just started NROL4W (I'm halfway through week 2) and I love it. I've been eating at maintenance to help power my workouts but after talking to a trainer at the gym I might maintain a small deficit since he recommended that I reduce my BF%. (Currently at 23.5%, he says women should be under 22% if possible). I think 22% is a good % for me, my husband doesn't like it when I get too bony LOL.

BTW - ST will really help you. I've been doing it for a year. I weigh 132 but look much better than I did at 125 (my wedding weight). I can't get into size 2 pants or anything (still a 4) but I look awesome in a bathing suit.

So I'd recommend that you focus more on BF% than weight. G/L!
  • NoehmiEsquivel
    Options

monday - chest/arms
    tuesday - cardio
    wens - legs
    thurs - cardio
    frirday - back shoulder
    sat - off

I just started NROL4W (I'm halfway through week 2) and I love it. I've been eating at maintenance to help power my workouts but after talking to a trainer at the gym I might maintain a small deficit since he recommended that I reduce my BF%. (Currently at 23.5%, he says women should be under 22% if possible). I think 22% is a good % for me, my husband doesn't like it when I get too bony LOL.

BTW - ST will really help you. I've been doing it for a year. I weigh 132 but look much better than I did at 125 (my wedding weight). I can't get into size 2 pants or anything (still a 4) but I look awesome in a bathing suit.

So I'd recommend that you focus more on BF% than weight. G/L!
    How exactly do you measure BF%? Idk what mine is. I've always been a very small girl in weight, size 0, then going up to the most being a size 3. I don't care about how small my pants size is tho, I've always wanted to be higher than a zero, but In a good/sexy way lol
    Also what does NROL4W Stand for? I get the for women part lol just not the first 3
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    One more thing:

Cardio burns more calories, which means the more cardio you do, the more you will to eat. Many people prefer to cut cardio or minimize cardio due a bulk/cut cycle to make eating more calories easier. It's really up to you. The second decision is figure out if you want to recomp or build muscle. Both are good choices, and both have advantages/disadvantages. Next, you want to figure out a good weight training routine (starting light to get form down) and then adding more weight. njd provided a pretty good program or you can do 3 full body workouts. Whichever you feel will be more beneficial.

If gaining weight scares you - start with recomp
    If you have a timeline - bulk/cut

Also for a frame of reference, below is a good story of what adding muscle can do for a body.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/