Fellow swimmers?

Options
Hiya,

I'm just starting out on my journey to losing 20lbs. Currently I weigh 178lbs and I'd like to initially end up around the 158-160 mark, being 5'11. I used to be a squad swimmer back when I was younger, swimming 3 times a week fairly intensively.

I stopped 8 years ago but I'm now getting back in the pool. I love it although I'm only going once a week at the moment but I swim for an hour with regular breaks and usually end up with a lane to myself, luckily I still have the technique! I also take walks and occasionally run, with the aim to work in some strength training soon.

Anyone else on here swim too? I'd love to hear what's working for you and how you're getting on :)

PS I'm eyeing up a pair of waterproof Sony walkman headphones to give me an extra music boost in the pool too, has anyone got them?

Replies

• samhradh
    samhradh Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Yes i can now call myself a swimmer again, after many years of neglect.
    I got back in the pool 6 months ago, started slowly with aqua aerobics, was not able to swim 25 meters.
    Now aqua 3 times per week, followed with training to swim a mile, 64 lengths (25 meter pool)
    It took a while to get my breathing under control, but as each week went by it got easier.
    I plan to keep this up for life, and hopefully i will see the back of the last 18lbs something this year.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Waterproof headphones? I didn't know they even existed!

Welcome back to the water. Same here - about 20lbs to go and swimming to help get there; also progressive bodyweight strength and ashtanga yoga.
  • militarycoat
    Options
    They certainly do! They seem pricey but they're a full mp3 player, not just headphones and they have good reviews. Can't wait to get my hands on them and try them in the pool :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AYAFW1I/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A18VZRL63WYSBI

Having a goal of swimming a mile is a great idea too, I might try that. Swimming is definitely something I would like to keep for life :)
  • MrsPixelbark
    MrsPixelbark Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    On the note of headphones....

I have a waterfi ipod nano (with their own branded headphones) that I absolutely adore. It's awesome to swim with them on whilst in the pool, and my hours seem to pass by. I go to the pool 2-3 times a week dependent upon what's happening at the time, normally for about an hour at a time.

Although, I will warn you, if you're anything like me you'll want to end up swimming to the beat: I rapidly realised after my first hour in the pool that swimming to my running playlist wasn't quite such a good idea! My arms and legs were like lead the following day at work.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Visions of swimming lengths at my local pool to the sound of whale songs and dolphin clicks - awesome!