Hello

mr_best
mr_best Posts: 2
edited September 19 in Introduce Yourself
Hi everyone, my wife and I are giving the site a trial. Here's how I ended up on the site ...

I lead a rather sedentary lifestyle (I'm a software engineer) with the exception of running 4-6 miles a day 4-7 days a week. The running has helped to offset my less than ideal eating habits. I'm not overweight, but I tend to binge; I'll eat healthy for several days and then decide to have pizza on a Friday night. Not just a few slices mind you, but close to an entire pizza. Then, convinced that I'm having a bad day and I'll make up for it by eating healthy tomorrow, I decide to indulge all my cravings that night by eating all kinds of junk food. This is how my "bad" days tend to go.

This obviously isn't healthy and the problem is compounded by my family history. My father died when he was 49 of a heart attack and my Mom's father died of a heart attack when he was young. A recent trip to the doctor's told me that my cholesterol was a bit high, and I can't say I'm surprised considering my aforementioned eating habits (did I mention I travel for work a lot as well, which makes things even more difficult).

So, I'm 31, and a father of two (an eight month and twelve year old), and I don't want to leave my family behind like my father did. Moreover, I believe the only way to lead is by example and my oldest is at a very impressionable age (I think a lot of my eating problems derive from my childhood). My wife and I have implemented a few changes including planning our menu, and instituting physical activities that we'll all participate in as a family. Wish us luck ...

Replies

• mr_best
    mr_best Posts: 2
    Hi everyone, my wife and I are giving the site a trial. Here's how I ended up on the site ...

I lead a rather sedentary lifestyle (I'm a software engineer) with the exception of running 4-6 miles a day 4-7 days a week. The running has helped to offset my less than ideal eating habits. I'm not overweight, but I tend to binge; I'll eat healthy for several days and then decide to have pizza on a Friday night. Not just a few slices mind you, but close to an entire pizza. Then, convinced that I'm having a bad day and I'll make up for it by eating healthy tomorrow, I decide to indulge all my cravings that night by eating all kinds of junk food. This is how my "bad" days tend to go.

This obviously isn't healthy and the problem is compounded by my family history. My father died when he was 49 of a heart attack and my Mom's father died of a heart attack when he was young. A recent trip to the doctor's told me that my cholesterol was a bit high, and I can't say I'm surprised considering my aforementioned eating habits (did I mention I travel for work a lot as well, which makes things even more difficult).

So, I'm 31, and a father of two (an eight month and twelve year old), and I don't want to leave my family behind like my father did. Moreover, I believe the only way to lead is by example and my oldest is at a very impressionable age (I think a lot of my eating problems derive from my childhood). My wife and I have implemented a few changes including planning our menu, and instituting physical activities that we'll all participate in as a family. Wish us luck ...
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    WElcome to the group. We are glad to have you and your wife here with us. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • debmac63
    debmac63 Posts: 459 Member
    :smile: Welcome! I'm sure you're going to love this site. It's been an inspiration to me. Good luck to both of you.:happy:
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Hi, and welcome to you and your wife! This is a great site, and best of all, IT WORKS! You WILL lose the weight that you want to here, between the food counter and all the extremely supportive members.
This discussion has been closed.