Weight goes up before it drops?

Options
I noticed recently before any weight loss my weight would first go up about 1 kg before dropping to 1kg less than it was originally. This can happen over the course of about 2-3 days and then the weight just drops overnight. I'm not doing anything extreme with my diet or water quantities, just sticking to my goals. Can anyone explain it?

Replies

• AvonBell
    AvonBell Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Weight will fluctuate throughout the week based on many factors such as sodium intake, water consumption, physical activity, bowel movements, etc. Totally normal. The trend is what matters.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I noticed recently before any weight loss my weight would first go up about 1 kg before dropping to 1kg less than it was originally. This can happen over the course of about 2-3 days and then the weight just drops overnight. I'm not doing anything extreme with my diet or water quantities, just sticking to my goals. Can anyone explain it?

I can't explain it, but it happens to me as well, up a pound for a few days, then wham lose 2 overnight it seems, and the loss sticks until the next rise before fall

AS AB says, trend is the thing really
  • Seabee74
    Seabee74 Posts: 314
    Options
    You say it drops and you are losing so why even ask this. Ask something you may be having a problem with....
  • crispsandwich
    crispsandwich Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    You say it drops and you are losing so why even ask this. Ask something you may be having a problem with....

an inquisitive mind is a wonderful tool! ask away!
  • jigsaw_me
    jigsaw_me Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I find the same ... plateau, increase, drop below plateau ... rinse, repeat ...
  • joolywooly33
    joolywooly33 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Happens to me too!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Natural daily fluctuations
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It's what happens to me every time, but it's linked to my period.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    Weight will fluctuate throughout the week based on many factors such as sodium intake, water consumption, physical activity, bowel movements, etc. Totally normal. The trend is what matters.
    yep this
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    It's what happens to me every time, but it's linked to my period.

this definitely. it helps to keep track of your monthly cycle to explain weight fluctuations. that is what I do
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    if you recently started exercising or increased intensity your muscles will be storing water to protect them and aid in recovery
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    daily weight fluctuation….
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    if you recently started exercising or increased intensity your muscles will be storing water to protect them and aid in recovery

I don't know if this is true or not (not being argumentative, just saying I haven't researched it) but I do find that after intense exercise, I will "weigh heavy" during DOMS then drop when I'm feeling better.
  • jodie_t
    jodie_t Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Agree workouts can add temporary weight + you temporarily have a more pumped up look. Pretty sure its water cos it goes after couple of days.
  • Adyanna79
    Adyanna79 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I keep pretty accurate stats (I am a bit of an OCD with math) and I find something similar.

Also whenever I am sore, The scale will be giving my a higher number (From what I gathered it's my body retaining water in order to use it for repairing my muscles). When the soreness goes away I am usually lighter than before the gain.