MFP Biking Group 7/21/2008

Options
13»

Replies

• shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Well, I broke my own distance record today. I did 40 miles this morning with my hubby. That is the most for me. I lived to tell about it. YEAH!!!

woohoo.gifwoohoo.gifwoohoo.gif

GOOD JOB! You'll be shocked and pleasantly surprised when you find out how much easier that 40 mile ride is the next time you do one--at least I was.

Makes you want to go further...and further...and further though doesn't it?
  • shorerider
    Options
    I am not riding but still losing weight. My new job is beginning to feel more "normal" and I am about to start riding to work on my bike. I just have to figure out how to get there and be clean and dry in this humid heat and then change into my "non biking clothes." I am looking forward to having a nice ride in the morning. I don't know how far I'll go. I have been leaving for work at 9am and getting home at 8:30pm, so not much daylight in the evening. My biking buddies have decided to form another group, due to their evening schedules, and so I am riding alone again. :brokenheart: I'll see what I can crank out tomorrow.

Creech, I know you check some other bike forums--maybe check on there for suggestions on how others commute to work on bikes.
  • cecreech
    cecreech Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    One of the benefits of backing off the riding for a few days is "fresh legs" and I certainly had them. I did my 15 miles faster than ever. It was great! I started a new thread on the site "Bike Forums" concerning commuting with an over the shoulder garment bag that is offered by nasbar and performance bike. (thanks shorerider) It claims to be able to carry everything wrinkle free. Who da thinked it?
  • shorerider
    Options
    Winkle free--Ha, that would be amazing!

I know that I read some keep a change of clothes at work.

There was an article in the paper here today about 2 guys in GA who commuter 46 miles round trip to work on bikes. Way they got singled out, I don't know--23 miles one way doesn't seem like much to me :tongue:

Anyway, here's the link--I think the reporter made a mistake when he mentioned their max speed was 46 mph. If that's the case, they need to quit their jobs and become pro cyclists!

http://license.icopyright.net/user/external.act?content_id=6666271
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I am right at 96 miles for the week. If it is not raining later I will go out for a short ride just so I can make my 100 mile goal.

Surprisingly, my legs feel fine today after my long ride yesterday. I was expecting to be very weak, but I am not.
  • shorerider
    Options
    I am right at 96 miles for the week. If it is not raining later I will go out for a short ride just so I can make my 100 mile goal.

Surprisingly, my legs feel fine today after my long ride yesterday. I was expecting to be very weak, but I am not.

Told you! Well, I said the next time you did 40 miles it would easier but it's true too about the legs not being sore. And doesn't it feel sooooooooooo cool to ride so far like that and then not be sure? :glasses:
  • jadaigle
    jadaigle Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Monday: 15.1 in the trainer (it was hot here)
    Wednesday: 18.3 on the trainer
    Friday: 35.1 outside on a beautiful day!

Friday was the best day: I dropped my son off at camp; swam; bike 35 miles; had lunch (Robeks and a Potbelly sandwich); and went to the wine store. It was sunny, not so humid and in the high 80s, low 90s.
  • michaelhe
    michaelhe Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I actually made it!

Thursday: 6.8 miles
    Friday: 23 miles (road to work and blew out my back tire on the way home)
    Saturday: 8.4 miles
    Sunday: 14 miles (front tire started leaking slowly on the way home)

Total: 52.2 miles

Well I haven't ridden in a while and my rear tube was pretty deteriorated when I replaced it on Saturday so I'm going to replace the front one tonight and hope that it's not going to be a habit that I blow a tire on every-other-ride.

Sunday's ride was a nice long ride with the family on a couple of trails near here. We ate dinner at a local Subway and got small ice cream cones before we headed home. It was a long ride (time wise) with many stops but the whole family had fun.
  • cecreech
    cecreech Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Did 20 miles this morning and I hadn't ridden since last Sunday but, boy howdy, did I have fun. I had to wait up for my 30 something friend but I still did a quick ride for me. It has been over 100 here every single day. So I got to bed early and got up at 5, got my stuff ready and I felt like a guy who is not fat. :glasses: My average speed was over 14 mph with some killer hills.
    Came home and went for a swim and then off to church. It has been a great day. Say, do any of you have plans to ride a longer ride like an MS 150? We have one in the Carolinas September 27-28th. If any of you live close by I am putting together a team.