I just ruined my diet . ways to make me feel better? :(

Options

Replies

• 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Go get some cardio in to mitigate the extra calories you ate then get up in the morning and see that the day is brand new and your calories are reset ;).

Smile and Rock your new day. Just one day. Take it one day at a time.
  • defauIt
    defauIt Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    One day won't mess you up, no matter how much you eat.

Yesterday I ate nearly triple my normal intake. I started out the morning with some leftover chocolates (200 Calories), then had a nice big burger (600 Calories), a tall skinny vanilla latte (100 calories), an awesome milkshake (600 calories), some leftover chicken breast (300 calories) before heading out to a friend's birthday party where I had 6 beers (900 calories), half of a bag of chips (500 calories) and 2 slices of deep dish pizza (800 calories) for a total of 4000 calories throughout the day. And I usually eat ~1500 calories a day.

And you know what? Every single bite was delicious and thoroughly enjoyed. Probably the most food I've consumed in a single day since Christmas dinner and I'm fine with that because I only do this once every couple of months. Absolutely no regrets - I probably gained about half a pound, which is nothing compared to what I've lost over the last couple of years. I was back on my normal diet today with 1500 calories consumed.

The only time you need to get concerned is if you're going into massive food binges every weekend. So long as they're rare, good ahead and indulge every once in awhile and enjoy it.
  • Mitzigan94
    Mitzigan94 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Think of yourself as a toddler learning to walk. You are going to fall on your butt...a lot...every day.

Every toddler eventually learns to walk and even run. Each fall can teach you something - maybe you need to go slower or lean on a friend or rest.

After you gather your strength, try again.

You can do this!

Yay! ^^THIS
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    You didn't ruin anything. Make yourself feel better by doing better tomorrow.

Whenever I overindulge, I stick by the argument of "you didn't get fat eating half a pizza, you're not going to ruin all your hard work now if you eat half a pizza".

Having a bad day is not failure. Just start afresh the next day.
  • Seabee74
    Seabee74 Posts: 314
    Options
    Go to sleep and start fresh in the morning !

You didn't ruin anything, unless of course you do this every other day.
    Then, you may have a problem..
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    If you cut your finger, would you say "I've ruined my hand!!" and have back at it with the knife? Or would you take care of the wound, bind it up and learn to be more careful next time?

So you had a bad day. No one got overweight in a day, one day isn't going to relegate you to a lifetime of never losing weight. However, thinking "I've ruined it, I may as well keep going" probably will.

I'm speaking from experience here. I'm not saying I'll never have a bad day again, or won't kick the poop out of myself for making some crappy choices, but I'm learning that the only reason I had more to lose than ever this time around is because the thing that 'ruins' my diet is my mindset, not the food I eat.
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    The only way you can "ruin" a diet is if you go in with an all or nothing mentality. Just log the junk food, keep an eye on your weekly calorie intakes for the next fortnight and stop beating yourself up!
  • joolywooly33
    joolywooly33 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    You haven't ruined anything, because if you are approaching this as you should - you are making LIFE changes! Just start fresh the following day, eat healthy foods and exercise at a level that allows you to be fabulous!

BTW - I f%$k up all the time...the key is never giving up :wink:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Your calorie goal may be too low for you.
    Reevaluate your goals and pick something less aggressive.

No food is junk.
    Yes an apple is nutritionally better than a ho ho.
    But everything in moderation will make for a happier you.

The fact you're in tears over this is not a good sign.
    And you might benefit from talking to a counselor

+1

And just start again tomorrow.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I get like this all the time - The weekend for example, ate loads of rubbish and felt like rubbish too!

A hot bubble bath always makes me feel better, Or a good movie and chill out night with no chocolates of course.

But today I am on good form, Healthy eating, lots of water and the gym tonight : )

Don't beat yourself up, Pick yourself up, Dust yourself off, and move on!!!!!!!!!

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Oh hun, please dont stress. Not sure if someone already said this but chances are that you are coming up for your period (emotional/craving junk stuff). Be kind to yourself if that sounds like the timing is right for your TOM.

Also don't forget, the day isn't over yet. You can up your exercise to compensate if it is still bothering you.

Sending hugs to chase away tears.

Grats on your 4lb loss so far.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    IMHO, this post is indicative of just one of the problems with the "diet mentality".

The diet mentality dictates that you are either on your diet or you are not. You either strictly adhere to the diet and are successful or you don't adhere and "just ruined my diet". Pass or fail, no middle ground. Very black and white thinking and not very productive in the long run. Yes, the rigidity of such thinking may be helpful in learning accountability to yourself, but at what cost??

The diet mentality creates the environment for failure because every eating decision is pass/fail. Did I stick to my diet or not? Think of it this way, if you take a test with 100 questions and you miss one right answer, did you "just ruin your test"? Did you fail the test? No, you scored a 99%, a pretty successful outcome if you ask me.

The "lifestyle mentality" to weight loss is similar to scoring a 99% on the test. Just because I made one bad eating/food decision doesn't mean I failed the diet. I made 99 other good eating/food decisions. My success at weight loss is not scored by a pass/fail at every meal or at the end of every day; It is scored based on long term trends and patterns, not a single bite, meal or bad day.
  • happychic
    happychic Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I fall off my diet a few times a week and I'm still losing weight. I typically walk more that day or the next day. I makes me feel better. Also, as long as I'm maintaining or losing weight, I consider it a success. I only get upset if the scale inches upward.
  • at_night_bookstore
    at_night_bookstore Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    1 stop thinking about the fact you ruin yr diet... tomorrow is a new day...
    2 working out always makes me feel better...
  • rubyted
    rubyted Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You've not ruined your diet…you've had one bad day.

Pick yourself up, dust yourself off and think of tomorrow as a new day. One day of excess won't ruin your progress.
  • aprilflower18232
    aprilflower18232 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    You didn't ruin it.... You are already owning up to what you ate so learn from it and move on...we all have weak moments and bad days.....for me it's not a diet anyway...it's a lifestyle change.....
  • omgdramabye
    Options
    I think the best thing that I was told by one of my myfitnesspal friends was that this is not a diet, it's a life style change! For me personally, I could not live the next 50+ years and eat 90% healthy every single day! You're going to have a day where you eat what you want, or two or three! If you are feeling such severe guilt then exercise a little longer, a little harder. Just don't give up on you, your health, your happiness!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    A life without the ocassional junk food/treat/whatever is no life at all. Relax the reins a bit. You don't need to be perfect 100% of the time.
  • leaner426
    Options
    That's like saying you ruined your walking because you tripped, or you ruined your breathing because you hiccupped! What you eat will be a daily event for the rest of your life. It's impossible to ruin. Some days you'll just be more graceful than others. Do not beat yourself up - it doesn't make you a bad person. Just human. Try to learn from it though. What type of junk did you eat? Is that what's making you emotional now? I realize that if I try to eat chocolate like I did when I was younger I have a huge mood crash. I'm trying to use that realization to help me avoid another binge. The short term satisfaction isn't worth the drop into despair that the sugar crash causes.

Hang in there, tomorrow will be better, or the next day will. Just don't beat yourself up and don't give up. You deserve to reach your goals.
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    i don't know whats wrong with me today i ate a lot of junk :( I am in tears right now because I have been trying hard just to always mess up. I feel like I should just keep eating since I have already ruined my diet :cry: :brokenheart:

I could have written this yesterday, OP. I did the same thing, but didn't cry about it. There is a Non Scale Victory here in your words, and that is the fact that you recognize what you did with your overeating. We all have a day (sometimes a couple of them!) of slipping up, letting our old habits kick in, and getting off the healthy track. Don't let it bum you out. Jump back in the game today, forget about yesterday, and move forward. Look at my ticker. I've been doing this for almost 2 years now and have had slip ups along the way. I am down several pants sizes and countless inches from my start in 2012. The difference is that I don't let a day of over eating end my hard work. I take it as a learning lesson, try to figure out what caused me to eat like that, and keep on plugging away.

So, today is a fresh start, so take that, eat well today, get in some exercise, and you'll feel better. Plus, the exercise will help diminish what you did yesterday as far as calories are concerned. Best of luck to you!