Critique My Food Diary (please)

Options
Hi

So having read a lot of advice on here regarding eating too little and eating back the right number of calories from your exercise (not the MFP estimations) I'd be really grateful if anyone on here could take a minute to look at my diary and let me know if they think I'm eating the right amount, or on the quality of the food/macros--or anything else that strikes you really.

I do some form of exercise every day but vigorous exercise three times a week (spinning, Les Mills pump, running) and logging it in, but only eating some of those calories back. I've set my calorie goal to basal metabolic rate.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• pancakehead
    pancakehead Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • gsgitu
    gsgitu Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    body stats? goals? one of your other posts says you want to maintain LBM. you consistently do not get enough protein. might want to look into something like TDEE -20. stick with it for weeks, check progress, adjust up/down. set your macros and eat them. get protein. don't neglect fats. just my humble opinion.
  • pancakehead
    Options
    Thanks a lot. I'm 141 pounds, looking to get down to 126-130, but without losing too much LBM, you're right. Protein is a problem--I'm a vegetarian (though taking cod liver oil capsules right now due to worries about sources of fat) and I find it difficult to get a large amount of protein with limited calories. All my sources of protein are also sources of fat or carbs. I tried a lean protein powder--found it very hard to digest!

Haven't tried TDEE -20% yet, good idea.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Low protein is what I notice, too. Do you eat dairy products?
  • pancakehead
    Options
    Yep, I eat dairy every day--cottage cheese and greek yogurt mainly, sometimes light brie and goat's cheese. I'd be lost without it!
  • gsgitu
    gsgitu Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    not too far off your goal. if you are adding in some type of workout program just try to hit calorie goals. see how it goes after several weeks and adjust down by 200 cals if needed. i keep seeing people mention greek yogurt, making me hungry for some 4% greek.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    What about eggs? They would give you a lot of protein.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot. I'm 141 pounds, looking to get down to 126-130, but without losing too much LBM, you're right. Protein is a problem--I'm a vegetarian (though taking cod liver oil capsules right now due to worries about sources of fat) and I find it difficult to get a large amount of protein with limited calories. All my sources of protein are also sources of fat or carbs. I tried a lean protein powder--found it very hard to digest!

Flax oil might be a good substitute for you. Omega 3 in there - not sure about the levels though.

Along with the dairy, try to get some of your protein from things like nuts, legume etc. it must be a struggle to get a good mix (essential amino acids etc).

Protein powder would be a great option if you can find one you can stomach. A lot of websites do sample sachets so you could try a few different ones.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    vegetarian? cod liver oil in gelatin capsules? careful of labels, because these things make you a non-vegetarian.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i vote peanut butter if you need more fat... much tastier than cod liver oil!
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options

I was wondering the same thing about your protein. Have your tried lentils: black, green and brown - very high in fiber and protein. Chick peas also good source of fiber and protein. 1/4 cup dry lentils = 160 - 180 calories saute some tomatoes, onions, peppers, olive oil and some cheese and you have meal along with a large salad.

Portabella mushrooms, aubergines. Cut up some aubergines along with red onions, peppers, garlic, drizzle with olive oil and fresh herb seasoning, bake for until soft. Pour into food processor and blend together until smooth. This makes a nice dip to put on toast and its home made and low fat and low sodium.

One of the things I had to learn when I gave up meat/chicken was that I had to become very creative in the kitchen, and that's something you will have to do.
  • glowgirl14
    glowgirl14 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Like the others are saying, the biggest problem I see is protein. You seem to have good goals - Not sure where you got them, but IIFYM.com has some good calculators. You should be getting 1g/lb of lean body mass of protein per day. Being a vegetarian, that's difficult, but not impossible.

Full fat peanut butter and cheeses. Nuts. Lentils. Whole grains...There are several breads I've found that have good protein content (Western Bagel makes a bagel with 18g protein - and if you can't find them in stores, you can order online at westernbagel.com - but the only cost effective way to do this is to buy in bulk and freeze them.) If you eat eggs, egg whites have a TON of protein, and almost nothing else.

If you're not going to eat meat and you want to hit a good number for protein, you have to accept that a lot of your carbs are going to come from protein sources. Legumes have good protein content, but also have carbs...Same with nuts and peanut butter. It's a difficult transition, but just like being a vegetarian in the first place, it's a choice you make because of what you believe. Maybe transition slowly if you're having trouble with it...but at your weight, if you're trying the IIFYM approach, you need over 100g protein a day. (I am 5'4, 122lbs, and I aim for 100 a day. I do it, and without a lot of meat most days. But I get a lot of flack for my diet. Too many protein bars/shakes.)
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    i vote peanut butter if you need more fat... much tastier than cod liver oil!

I take cod liver oil, but the real thing, not capsules. Very effective in winter (along with washing your hands) and much better than the flu shot.
  • evilangelwings
    evilangelwings Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Sources of protein - eggs, cheese, tofu (my favourite, yum), beans (chickpeas are incredibly versatile). Also think about using wholemeal carbs such as bread, pasta etc as I've found these to have a higher protein content than their regular counterparts. Also, bread made from more unusual flour such as spelt and rye can also have a higher protein content. You'd also be surprised which vegetables contain a lot of protein per gram, e.g. regular green peas, edamame beans. The best advice is to become savvy with nutritional labels, in the store compare similar products, see which has higher protein bang for your buck.

Tastier sources of fat - nut butters, avocadoes, flax seed, other seeds.

Good luck!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I have not read the other replies. My impressions:

You have entered cooking and cleaning as exercise. Those are actually a part of your daily activities and should not be counted separately.

I noticed several days where you are way under calorie goal. Since you put in non-exercise (see above) as exercise, that might be okay. However, for your walking and Les Mills exercises, you need to eat more of your calories back. You want to be careful with MFP calorie estimations, though, because they are way over estimated.

Do you weight all your food and log everything you eat?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

If you are 141 pounds and trying to lose 15-20 pounds, it is TDEE minus 10% or even 5%. Two pounds a wekk is too aggressive with so little to lose.
  • evilangelwings
    evilangelwings Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You have entered cooking and cleaning as exercise. Those are actually a part of your daily activities and should not be counted separately.

Personally, I include cooking and cleaning, if I'm doing unusual or hardcore stuff e.g. kneading bread or mopping floors, both get me into a Jillian Michaels level sweat! But I agree, that you shouldn't include it if you're just chopping veggies, stirring soup etc.
  • michael300891
    Options
    More protein.

More fat.

More exercise to reduce additional energy intake and stimulate weight loss.

Doctoral Researcher in Exercise Adaptation and Metabolism:

Follow me on Twitter ( https://twitter.com/Michael300891 )
  • pancakehead
    Options
    Wow, so many responses, thanks a lot!

I'll deal with each point in turn for efficiency's sake:

* I will aim for 100g protein per day

* I like eggs. I keep chickens! They're slacking off at the moment since it's winter.

* I eat legumes beans and tofu, yes, but perhaps raising the quantities would help me towards my protein goals, and reduce carbs (like couscous) to make caloric room, getting my carbs from protein sources, as glowgirl14 suggests.

* Greek yogurt is the best . You should have some, gsgitu.

* Flax oil will be my next purchase after the cod liver oil runs out, thanks for that suggestion, 3laine75. But I read that it is a lot less effective? And besaro, I have been a vegetarian for more than 20 years! I started taking this supplement a few weeks ago to avoid the symptoms of poor nutrition I saw last time I dieted, that's all. I was not well. It was not a decision I took lightly.

* I would not eat the housework calories back unless I was really putting my back into things! The calorie expenditure seemed ridiculous. However I am concluding I should eat some of my real exercise calories back and perhaps stop logging housework "for fun" as it is obscuring how far/near I am getting to my goals.

* I'll look into the TDEE -10%/5% thing. I'm not sure how much that is right now. I do sometimes feel like I'm undereating.

* Oh yes, I weigh my food and track everything, otherwise what's the point of this system?

Thanks for all the advice everyone, this was really helpful!
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I'm with everyone else. More protein, more fat.

To up my protein I use this: http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/p/jay-robb-enterprises-egg-white-vanilla-24oz-24-oz-powder/j1-1023?sourceType=sc&source=FG&adGroup=40-60&keyword=J1-1023&cm_mmc=Google+Shopping-_-Product+Listing+Ads-_-40-60-_-J1-1023&gclid=CNDzyN-f1rwCFZFrfgodHmcA3A&gclsrc=aw.ds#.UwOesGJdV8E

It's veggie friendly and easier to stomach for me than Whey. Also it's made with Stevia and tastes pretty good.