Treadmill purchase

Options
Hi, I want to purchase a treadmill and have checked out - Nordic Track, Sole and Pro Form. My budget is around $ 1000, would welcome some feedback as to manufacturers, performance and durability. Thanks

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Quality wise, I believe they go (from least quality to highest quality): Pro Form, Nordictrack, Sole. I have a Nordictrack. Initially had a $1000 model (C900 Pro) and liked it, but didn't love it. Then it went a bit haywire and the incline broke. They fixed it but after that it never worked quite right. After multiple service calls, they finally replaced it under warranty. I took that opportunity to upgrade the model to a Commercial 1750. I like it so much better and have put a LOT more miles on it than my old one (due to the horrendous winter we're having I haven't been running outside at all). It's over your budget though.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I recommend against purchasing treadmills, unless it's going to be part of a complete home gym and you know you really like running on treadmills (or are training for competitive running).

$1000 buys you a lot of months of gym membership, and a gym contains tons of equipment far more useful than a treadmill. Running on a treadmill is boring as sin. The vast majority of personal treadmills end up as coat racks, because "running in your living room a treadmill" is pretty much the worst long-term fitness plan possible. No one does that forever.

Join a gym and do resistance training there. Find something active and fun, like a sport (swimming, tennis, hiking, etc). Endless boring cardio in your home is not the long-term answer.
  • BL_Coleman
    BL_Coleman Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    As long as you have a room you can dedicate too it, I think treadmills are a great idea. Sears Outlet and places like that are good ideas if you are tryign to get a higher budget model for cheaper. Refurbished under warranty is same as new in my book. Good luck.

I use a gym though and the 50 bucks a month to the YMCA is easier for me since its only a mile from the house
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    I have a Bowflex treadmill. We got it quite a few years ago and I like it. I'll run on it and watch whatever shows I DVR'd. I don't know how much it costs though since we bid on it at an auction and got it for $500!

ETA: I'd go to a sports store where they sell that sort of equipment, talk to the people there and try them out in the store. If you're going to be running on it you want to make sure the platform is long enough to accommodate your stride.

If it's something you really want, feel you will use and have the room for it then do your research and choose the one that suits your needs.
  • graceire
    graceire Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    My Nordictrack was purchased over 12 years ago. Originally priced at $2000, I got it on sale at Sears for $1000. Never have had a single issue with it over the years (knock on wood!). I would suggest getting the best one you can afford. They might actually go on sale even more the furthur we get from New Years resolutions...
  • degoat11
    Options
    I bought the C1750 and have been pretty happy with it until last week. In one week the incline stopped adjusting to the right level and the touchscreen stopped responding completely. After 3 calls to their horrible customer service department, they finally agreed to order some replacement parts and send out a technician to replace them. We'll see how long it takes for that to happen!

Other than this, the treadmill has been pretty solid. I'm hoping it goes back to that way after these 2 issues are fixed.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I recommend against purchasing treadmills, unless it's going to be part of a complete home gym and you know you really like running on treadmills (or are training for competitive running).

$1000 buys you a lot of months of gym membership, and a gym contains tons of equipment far more useful than a treadmill. Running on a treadmill is boring as sin. The vast majority of personal treadmills end up as coat racks, because "running in your living room a treadmill" is pretty much the worst long-term fitness plan possible. No one does that forever.

Join a gym and do resistance training there. Find something active and fun, like a sport (swimming, tennis, hiking, etc). Endless boring cardio in your home is not the long-term answer.

QFT.

I completely agree with Jonny here.