Should I be focusing on cardio or strength training?

Options
Since I'm in the process of losing weight, should I be focusing on cardio, or strength training? Sometimes i feel like I shouldn't bother with strength training YET since I'm just trying to shed fat. Opinions?

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Strength training. This helps you maintain muscle mass, and muscle is what gives your body tone, shape, and firmness.

Cardio just burns calories. It's good for your cardiovascular health, and you should do some, but quality concerted strength training really gives you all the benefits of cardio other than endurance.

If you lose weight without doing strength training, cardio or not, you will shed muscle in addition to fat. If you want to shed fat and keep muscle, strength training is obligatory.

I recommend an intense focus on strength training combined with moderate amounts of cardio. The cardio can - and, indeed, should - be something you actually enjoy and will do long-term, such as a sport (tennis, hiking, playing frisbee with your dog, whatever).
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Strength training. This helps you maintain muscle mass, and muscle is what gives your body tone, shape, and firmness.

Cardio just burns calories. It's good for your cardiovascular health, and you should do some, but quality concerted strength training really gives you all the benefits of cardio other than endurance.

If you lose weight without doing strength training, cardio or not, you will shed muscle in addition to fat. If you want to shed fat and keep muscle, strength training is obligatory.

I recommend an intense focus on strength training combined with moderate amounts of cardio. The cardio can - and, indeed, should - be something you actually enjoy and will do long-term, such as a sport (tennis, hiking, playing frisbee with your dog, whatever).

Yes to all of this.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    Why the either or? Why not do both?

Cardio is great exercise. It burns calories.

Weight training is great exercise as well. It builds muscles.
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options

^^^ This.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options

^ He knows what he's talking about. I agree with this advice.
  • angelamangus1
    angelamangus1 Posts: 164 Member
    Options

This is where it is at! I agree with this post 100%
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Come on, someone has to disagree with me. It's not MFP without some stupid argument :laugh:
  • beachlover317
    Options
    Come on, someone has to disagree with me. It's not MFP without some stupid argument :laugh:

Okay - not from this post - but I love treadmill running. Enough disagreement for ya?
  • Come on, someone has to disagree with me. It's not MFP without some stupid argument :laugh:

lololololol :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options

This is terrible advice! I would NEVER do this!!

Just kidding. :laugh:

ETA: for the OP; don't focus on what the scale says but instead focus on how your clothes fit. Gaining muscle can mean gaining weight so the scale might not be the best way to tell if you are making progress.
  • mscrystallee
    mscrystallee Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    As a trainer friend of mine always tells me "It is ALL cardio" wear a HRM when you do strength training and compare
  • monkeywizard
    monkeywizard Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'm of the opinion that a good balance of the two is best. I've been doing a MWF cardio (spin). with a Tues, Thurs, Sat strength routine. Of course life gets in the way and I've adjusted from time to time, but that's my goal & have seen success so far!
  • nikkylyn
    nikkylyn Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    BOTH but dont under estimate the importance of strength training. I try to aim for 50/50 I dont always get there but I try.
    I prefer cardio to weights but I do enjoy weights. I just feel like when Im running I can zone out LOL. Its a good escape for me.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Okay, I will try to disagree.

The only thing I would disagree with is saying you get the same benefits as cardio, other than endurance. Cardio does a much better job at strengthening your heart, and increasing your V02Max. That said I do 1 day a week of cardio, and 1 day/week play a sport that requires running, so very little cardio.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    As a trainer friend of mine always tells me "It is ALL cardio" wear a HRM when you do strength training and compare

HRMs are extremely inaccurate for strength training. The relationship between heart rate and calorie burn, which is already tenuous even for steady state cardio (the scenario for which HRMs as calorie counters were designed), completely breaks down during strength training. This is known; most HRM manufacturers even say not to use them while strength training.
  • beachlover317
    Options

Most, if not all, HRMs are designed to measure calories burned in steady state cardio activities (running, etc.). They will not accurately measure the calories burned in strength training because your heart rate fluctuates while lifting.

"It is all cardio" is a ridiculous statement. Strength training has made a tremendous difference in my body composition. Doing all cardio only made me want to eat more.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

HRMs are not accurate for strength training and the benefit to strength training isn't the caloric burn, it is the muscle retention caused by it, and increase in strength, bone density, etc.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Most, if not all, HRMs are designed to measure calories burned in steady state cardio activities (running, etc.). They will not accurately measure the calories burned in strength training because your heart rate fluctuates while lifting.

"It is all cardio" is a ridiculous statement. Strength training has made a tremendous difference in my body composition. Doing all cardio only made me want to eat more.

I think the statement is meant to indicate that even strength training is cardio, which is sort of weird because it doesn't make sense but it's also kind of true. Not sure though.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I agree - both

I've lost the weight, but I've been slacking on the strength training lately - and I Can Tell!
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    I would have a balance of both. The weights for the LMM and the cardio of increased calorie burn and heart health.