So not fair

Options
2»

Replies

• meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Your profile says you have lost 6 lbs. That's pretty good for a month.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Ok. So, we had this program at work and I started tracking food and exercise on MFP about a month ago. I am exercising daily at least 30 minutes...sometimes 1 hour...since we were iced in this week, i've been doing 2 programs daily on the elliptical (50-60 minutes) I do upper body weights 3-4 days a week -- except this week because of the ice.

I track everything i eat, no matter how small. I use my kitchen scale to make sure i get the correct portion sizes. I am drinking loads of water.

So why am i not losing any weight? I had a dip after the first week, but it was back to my "regular" weight shortly thereafter. Since then, I have weighed with 1-2 pounds of where i started. If my clothes were fitting better, I would be less concerned about the actual weight, but that isn't the case either. I am so discouraged.

Unfair? You are not entitled to lose weight because you think you are on some sort of plan.

It sounds like you are not recording properly. Overestimating your exercise/underestimating your food intake.
  • knitwitch11
    Options
    you know, that was uncalled for and very rude. if you don't have anything helpful to contribute, don't bother. personally i hope your karma comes back to you in spades.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    There's no way you're burning 700 calories a day. I do HIIT and burn about 400 per half hour. You are probably eating more than you should because you are overestimating your calorie burns.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    you know, that was uncalled for and very rude. if you don't have anything helpful to contribute, don't bother. personally i hope your karma comes back to you in spades.

Are you referring to my comment? (as mine was the one preceding)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    1) Your ticker says you've lost 6 pounds...that's not nothing. For the amount of weight you have to lose, 1 pound per week is completely normal and reasonable and healthy. Any more than that is unrealistic.

2) Cardio machines will overestimate by 30-50%. Even if you enter certain stats (age, weight), they can still be off by quite a bit because they're missing other vital data like gender, height, etc. Either get an HRM (the Polar FT4 is a decent model, pretty popular around here) or only plan on eating back 50-75% of the calories the machines give you.
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Machines and MFP almost always overestimate the amount of calories burned, which is why I don't eat back my exercise calories. There are some days I go over, but I always try to get a workout in to make the "sting" less of a sting. LOL

I also agree with another poster that 6 lbs is not "nothing". I have been at a plateau here for several months (like, 5 months) and would KILL to be losing 6 lbs right now.

AND, don't let the haters get you down. There is really no need to open your food diary if you are just looking for general advice and support. If you're not losing, it's possible you are overestimating your calories burned, you're eating too much (or too little, possibly), or many, many, many other factors. What you need to remember is that this is a slow process and you will succeed if you just stick with it.

You've got this! :drinker:
  • knitwitch11
    Options
    1) Your ticker says you've lost 6 pounds...that's not nothing. For the amount of weight you have to lose, 1 pound per week is completely normal and reasonable and healthy. Any more than that is unrealistic.

2) Cardio machines will overestimate by 30-50%. Even if you enter certain stats (age, weight), they can still be off by quite a bit because they're missing other vital data like gender, height, etc. Either get an HRM (the Polar FT4 is a decent model, pretty popular around here) or only plan on eating back 50-75% of the calories the machines give you.

I don't know if the ticker thing is accurate. I changed the batteries in my scale and my weight was higher. I know i should pick a day to weigh myself and stick to it, but i end up weighing myself several times a day anyway. I will look into the Polar FT4 though... I appreciate the recommendation! Thanks.
  • knitwitch11
    Options
    Machines and MFP almost always overestimate the amount of calories burned, which is why I don't eat back my exercise calories. There are some days I go over, but I always try to get a workout in to make the "sting" less of a sting. LOL

I also agree with another poster that 6 lbs is not "nothing". I have been at a plateau here for several months (like, 5 months) and would KILL to be losing 6 lbs right now.

AND, don't let the haters get you down. There is really no need to open your food diary if you are just looking for general advice and support. If you're not losing, it's possible you are overestimating your calories burned, you're eating too much (or too little, possibly), or many, many, many other factors. What you need to remember is that this is a slow process and you will succeed if you just stick with it.

You've got this! :drinker:

Thanks!!! I am just not sure what my actual weight is/was. Changed out the batteries in the scale and it's reading differently now. Actually the pounds don't concern me as much, it's the fit of my clothes i was hoping to see some change in. I am going to look at getting something that's a bit more accurate on calories burned and I think i will quit trying to eat up to what MFP says I should. I guess I'll try that for a month and see what happens.

I guess the reason that i feel i should be losing more is because this was a pretty extreme change in lifestyle. I used to exercise 3-4 times per week, but I wasn't keeping with a very strict diet...and there was some binging going on. So i feel like i have come a long way in my habits and really would just like to see it reflected a little bit in the mirror.

I do appreciate the advice. Best of luck .. I don't know if would help, but I read an article about plateau-ing and they actually advised an increase in calories for a brief amount of time just to get everything working again... I've never tried it, but it might be something to research.