Should I be focusing on cardio or strength training?

Options

Replies

• RomaWT
    RomaWT Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Do both cardio and strength training. Personally, I am seeing the benefits of doing both since the beginning of my weight loss journey. I am not at my goal weight yet. However, I see that along with weight loss, I have become much stronger. I can see some muscle definition, I can lift more and I am more energetic. In other words, I seem to have maintained some muscle mass during my weight loss. Weight training has also helped me run better, faster and longer.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    As a trainer friend of mine always tells me "It is ALL cardio" wear a HRM when you do strength training and compare

Most, if not all, HRMs are designed to measure calories burned in steady state cardio activities (running, etc.). They will not accurately measure the calories burned in strength training because your heart rate fluctuates while lifting.

"It is all cardio" is a ridiculous statement. Strength training has made a tremendous difference in my body composition. Doing all cardio only made me want to eat more.

I think the statement is meant to indicate that even strength training is cardio, which is sort of weird because it doesn't make sense but it's also kind of true. Not sure though.

Hence the confusion in interpreting written word on the internet. I can now read that statement 2 different ways. I'll just agree with the weirdness of the statement.
  • hasta_la_vista_belly
    Options
    should I be focusing on cardio, or strength training?

Yes.

Strength training will help you build muscle and in turn is going to really help reshape your body. Cardio will help with endurance and burning calories as well. So I mean, I like both, but weight training will really help reshape your body.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    As a trainer friend of mine always tells me "It is ALL cardio" wear a HRM when you do strength training and compare
    Trainer friend would be wrong then. The energy path of anaerobic and aerobic exercise is different. HRM's only read heart rate and not how that heart rate is raised. In other words one could have a high rate watching a scary movie for a couple of hours and if you compare that to say a moderate walk, watching the movie would have burned more calories. And we know that's not the case.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Since I'm in the process of losing weight, should I be focusing on cardio, or strength training? Sometimes i feel like I shouldn't bother with strength training YET since I'm just trying to shed fat. Opinions?
    Pound for pound in loss, Strength Training will be more effective if that is your goal.
  • donohoe4
    donohoe4 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Strength training has made a tremendous difference in my body composition. Doing all cardio only made me want to eat more.

This!
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Here is a quick read for your question. It's just a blog, but has good info, IMO.

http://strengthstudioblog.blogspot.com/2014/02/reality-check-for-i-do-cardio-to-lose.html?m=1
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Strength training can also be a cardio workout. Keep your HR up and move quickly from one exercise to the other with some short intense spurts of cardio in between such as jump squats, pushups, sprints, etc.

That's what I do anyway and it works.
  • turtledove773
    turtledove773 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I recommend an intense focus on strength training combined with moderate amounts of cardio. The cardio can - and, indeed, should - be something you actually enjoy and will do long-term, such as a sport (tennis, hiking, playing frisbee with your dog, whatever).

So what do you suggest for strength training and what is considered a moderate amount of cardio?

I do a whole body routine 2x week and 4 days of 60 min cardio... I HATE the Cardio!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    A solid and well balanced general fitness regimen is going to incorporate elements of both in roughly equal parts; beyond that, more specific fitness goals would dictate one over the other for specific training purposes.

Personally, for general fitness, I'd do 30-60 minutes of cardio work 3x weekly and work a full body weight training routine 3x weekly (something like New Rules, Starting Strength, or Stronglifts 5x5 would be a good place to start)...I would ideally do this on alternating days...maybe throw in a little walking on your lifting days. Have one day of rest where maybe you do some restorative yoga or something and just be generally active...i.e. take the dog for a walk or whatever.
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
  • dorkyfaery
    dorkyfaery Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Why can't it be both?

The most important thing is to do activities you enjoy so you will want to continue to do them. I enjoy lifting but also love cardio - I love a runner's high, and it helps me manage stress and anxiety. As a result, I have found activities that I enjoy in both categories and alternate them throughout the week.
  • Torgrills
    Torgrills Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm not the OP, but this was such a timely thread as I'd been wondering the same thing myself. Thanks for all the insight!
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I recommend an intense focus on strength training combined with moderate amounts of cardio. The cardio can - and, indeed, should - be something you actually enjoy and will do long-term, such as a sport (tennis, hiking, playing frisbee with your dog, whatever).

So what do you suggest for strength training and what is considered a moderate amount of cardio?

I do a whole body routine 2x week and 4 days of 60 min cardio... I HATE the Cardio!

If you hate the cardio, do less. 4X at 60 minutes is a lot more than you need. 3 full body lifiting sessions and 3 30 minute cardio sessions a week, or 4 lifting sessions set up as splits (2 days upper body, 2 days lower body) with 2 cardio sessions might be more appealing to you. Also, try different types of cardio - if you hate steady-state, do HIIT. Don't torture yourself with exercise you hate.
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Do both...both will help you get to where you want to be.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Since I'm in the process of losing weight, should I be focusing on cardio, or strength training? Sometimes i feel like I shouldn't bother with strength training YET since I'm just trying to shed fat. Opinions?

Both! Proper exercise done correctly is never a waste of time!!
  • Apinget
    Apinget Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I was a cardio bunny when I first started trying to lose weight, I would wake up and jog for about 45 minutes and was becoming frustrated with how my weight and measurements weren't budging.

Since I've started lifting my unwanted fat has shed off revealing a beautifully strong, toned, body. I will walk my dogs a mile or so 2-3 times a week and finish my lifting with 15 mins on the stair master but other than that I do no extra cardio and am looking great! I lift 5 days a week and feel much better than I ever have before. If you like cardio you can squeeze in more but other than walking I personally don't like many cardio activities (especially the options at gyms, tread mills? stationary bikes? bleh!) so fitting it in is torture.

Another option which would be the best of both worlds is to fit in a HIIT day, which is strength training moves done in rapid succession to raise the heart rate while toning the body. I haven't incorporated a HIIT day yet myself but have been interested in starting.

When I think of all the time I forced myself to run on a treadmill...
  • katiev111
    katiev111 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Ugh this post is great. I HATE cardio. I love strength training SO much more. Thank you!
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Ugh this post is great. I HATE cardio. I love strength training SO much more. Thank you!

Well, you're going to love your results too. :drinker:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

A heavy barbell training program focused on the core motions:

1) Pulling vertically. Deadlifts.
    2) Pushing horizontally. Bench press.
    3) Pushing vertically. Overhead press.
    4) Pushing with legs. Squats.
    5) Pulling with arms. Rows/pullups

Many such programs exist, such as Starting Strength and Stronglifts. The book Starting Strength is a fantastic introduction to how to perform these motions safely and effectively.

Four 60 minute sessions of cardio is more than "moderate" IMO. Do 3-4 days of strength training per week, try to do something active that's not strength-based for 30-60 minutes twice a week on non-lifting days, and reserve 1 to 2 days per week for pure rest.